The last thing I wanted to see from Apple

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Amperage, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Amperage

Amperage Well-Known Member

#1 Amperage, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Your application, iNsane, is requiring unexpected additional time for review. We apologize for the delay, and will update you with further status as soon as we are able.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Added a few important updates in the version currently under review so it's more frustrating than it would have been for any prior update. Guess they save it for the good ones :p

Was kinda looking for feedback from other developers.
    Has there been a recent increase in these delays or have they in general got faster at getting things back on track?

I looked around and didn't see anything promising. Mostly devs saying it was essentially the Apple kiss of death for an app.

I replied to the email with the follow-up ID and got a seemingly canned response saying they can't give me any further info as to why it's been held up.

The same version of iNsane FREE edition got approved in the avg 7-9 day period. It's based on the same code. Only difference is no online leaderboards via Scoreloop and it doesn't have all the new background images.

For the past 2 version updates iNsane has had Scoreloop. I don't expect much should have changed on that end and the new background images were all custom made by me so no copyright issues, not that anyone who had issue with them would have even seen them yet.

And before anyone asks. All the images are family safe :) I don't go that route for sales. It's just a few abstracts.

Any input on what may have triggered this or did I just get "lucky".

2. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    From what I've read from other devs it seems like updates generally take longer to approve than initial releases. This has been my experience as well. Mini Golf Classic Course took about 9 days for it to initially get approved. The first update took about 3 weeks to approve. I have another game waiting on approval... 9 days so far... looks like this one might be the longest wait yet for initial approval (first was 5 days, second was 9, third ??). Just hang in there!

-James

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128

Translation:

'Your application, iNsane, is requiring completely expected addition time for review, as we are currently sitting on our fat asses only approving games from big developers such as Gameloft, who make us the big bucks. We apologize for our gayness, and will forget to update you with further crap as soon as we finish sucking EA's ding dong.'

4. Amperage

#4 Amperage, Aug 23, 2009

Now that's bitter :)

I assume you've submitted a few for review yourself?

This type of thing honestly scares me though. I'm fairly new to the game having only one game on the store but I'm about 50% done with the next. This one is a much bigger time investment than iNsane in all areas. Music, artwork, code complexity etc.. Looking at an easy 500+ hours of my own time invested by the time it's ready for sale. If they can randomly without even explaining why, put your titles on the back burner before they even turn a profit I probably don't see much reason for developers to stay with the platform considering everybody and their brother are starting the "App store" thing. Microsoft, Sony (PSP Go), Google and I even read that Palm is getting into the act.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #5 ImNoSuperMan, Aug 23, 2009
    Ya every one and their brothers ARE all having their own AppStore. But it'll be quite sometime before they are anywhere close to apple in sheer number of sales and popularity. And that's assuming someone manages to get close to AppStore in first place.

But I agree apple needs to do something about this whole app approval system. Taking weeks to approve a simple app is just iNsane. And then they don't even tell the devs why is it taking so long. I can undestand how painful it'll be for indie devs like youself to be kept waiting so long. As if selling your apps on the AppStore wasn't hard enough in the first place given all the competition. Apple seriously has to act fast here. Did you know they have just 40 reviewers to review all these apps. And each app goes through atleast two reviewers. That makes it just 20 reviewers :eek:. Now THAT. IS. iNsane.

6. Amperage

Hey Super :)

Apple is holding your update hostage :)

I added the shiny new backgrounds and pause/resume.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Why would they apologize for being gay? Give your head a shake, idiot.

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sarcasm meter down today starjimstar :rolleyes:. I m pretty sure LBG made that gay comment(along with the rest of the post) just to be funny about the serious problem of delayed app approval.(but i'll have no idea in case LBG has a history of making anti-gay comments, in which case I'd be the wrong one here. But I really doubt that'd be the case)

Damn apple. Looks like I'll have to go talk to Steve now. Don't worry I'll get your update out by Tuesday. Just be thankful enough for my help and don't bother me asking irrelevant questions like which Tuesday. :p
    Up up n away. :D:D.

9. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    i usually find his posts funny/helpful, but when you start talking sh!t about a minority that cant help who/what they are, thats just tasteless. joke or not, intolerance and bigotry are not funny.

10. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Also, just a note about overly sarcastic comments posted on the internet... remember that anything you say can and likely will come back to bite you at some point in your life. I'm willing to bet you didn't mean anything other than to vent or be sarcastic in your comments but one day someone might be considering you for a job when they come across some random comment you made a long time ago... Don't mean to lecture, just food for thought.

-James

11. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    I received that "unexpected delay" post once. It wasn't a kiss of death, the approval just took 1-2 weeks longer.

Based on my experience updates get approved much quicker.

12. Amperage

Hopefully that's the case here. I submitted the free version on the Aug. 4th and the pay version on the 6th. Got the unexpected delay email on the 13th and the approval for v1.3 of the free iNsane on the 15th.. so looks to be about the 3 week mark since submission in a couple more days.

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Haha, that was just a quick rant at Apple.
    I am not anti-gay.