Not interested in Final Fantasy 1.. and omg 2!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acidshaman, Jan 22, 2010.

1. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Maybe like 5 years ago this would have been like, Oh sweet classic FF 1 and 2.. I have literally no interest in these dinosaur games.. I know some games made an appearance (earthworm jim, Sonic which I almost loved but it failed to work well)

I mean, it just seems to me that FF 1 and 2 (which I have not played) have stories that cant touch anything out today.. ancient evil, good guys, cmon gonna need a story-telling game that isnt that basic.. feel free to eluminate me on how good the story is.

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Ancient evil and good guys, isn’t that the story George Bush told the world? ;)

Regarding the story of the first I think 3 FF games: It’s always a group of young people following the path to find some crystals and bring back the light. Or so ;). I enjoyed FFIII on the DS version. It’s not the story, but the presentation of the story, the music, the graphical style, the cutscenes. Even the opening scenes are fascinating.

DS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySEm8V2R3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzr2C7GotBU

PSP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHVzUY9Z7k

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Agreed...I saw the front page article, and yawned.....bring me FFV or FFVI.

4. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Don't you realize this is great news? You have to start small and if people like FF1 and 2, then he'll continue to make more games.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sadly the super boring ancient evil vs good is still used widely in many RPGs in AppStore. For me they're all sterile and just jRPGs wannabe.

I'm not too excited with FF1 and FF2 either, but you shouldn't be too literal. Think of it as a stepping stone to something bigger in the future. Just see how Payback and CJS paved way for the real GTA to AppStore, I wish FF1 and FF2 will also pave way for FF3 and 4 remakes to the iPhone.

FF6 and 7 would be even sweeter!! :D

6. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    thinking FF1 and 2 are a little dated for this 'test the waters' scheme

7. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Yep....didn't really start liking FF till I played FF6. Final fantasy 5 is decent, but I'll only be getting truely pumped when I see 6 planned for release.

8. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    yea, i just feel like I am not remotely interested in such an old title, will they see my missing purchase as a sign that their games wont sell?

Id pick up a new, or semi-new game in a heartbeat.. but 1 & 2, I dont want that, but I dont want my lack of interest to help foster some idea that the iPhone isnt a good place for NEW Final Fantasy games (which it is)...

I mean you think they could give the phone something newer than 1 & 2 atleast... it can handle WAAAY more than those simple games.

9. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Well I'm definitely not biased towards the games because of their age, as I have many games on my ipod with older gameplay then these. But I just ALWAYS felt FFI and II were very bland, and boring. So frankly I have no interest now, in a game I didn't like then.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Why would you want to start a topic and talk about something that bores you? You're freakin' weird.

11. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    its not their age that bugs me, its the fact that they are pretty much the first of the FF games, just like you said simplistic art, story, etc.. we all know the iPhone could handle much later Final Fantasy games than 1 & 2.. this wouldn't even fly on a Gameboy SP IMO...

and I made the thread because Im seriously dissapointed in seeing that they are going to put the simplest of Final Fantasies onto one of the most powerful mobile devices out there, with good circulation to boot!

I have zero intention of getting these simple RPG's, Inotia 2 is better IMO, Zenonia is better IMO, maybe they arent AS long (no idea), but seriously think we could see something better..

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

It's also on the PSX, PSP and Wii. People want to play it.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I was just about to say the same thing. A whole lame thread about whining that it's not FF V / VI / VII which will be released.

[​IMG]

14. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    That's a pretty picture.... hahahah fail....hahaha...so funny...just like the thousands upon thousands of others I've seen posted. I'm not complaining that they didn't bring 5 or 6. I'm mearly stating that I have no interest in these games, and will continue to wait until a square enix game is released that more or less meets my expectations.

15. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Of course the art work is simple. The first came out in the late 80s. Inotia2 is a bad comparison. You are wise to hold off if you think you won't enjoy it. For square it's a good test for the FF series. These are very long games, probably at least twice as long as Inotia. I loved the first FF, but i'm not sure I want it on the iPhone with it's small screen (I would go blind staring at the screen that long).

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, I liked that picture, too. So I decided to post it! :)

17. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    The screenshots look pretty enough to me. Also, as somebody who never played any JRPGs until now, I'd be content with a dungeon crawler with little story, as long as combat, loot and exploration are satisfying. I love Undercroft and it doesn't have much of a story either ;). Neither did it's inspiration, the Eye of Beholder trilogy.

18. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#18 Oliver, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    We don’t get the 23 year old version, but a remake of a remake: The PSP version is from june 2007 and while the differences are subtle, there are differences between the iPhone version and the 23 year old version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it’s the old story. But with a new presentation. With cutscenes. With new mixed sound. With more content.

Take a look at this article and the changes, the game got during the last years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_I_and_II_(compilations)

And there’s another thing: This is a real console game. It has been localized many many times. So there’s high hopes that Final Fantasy will be the first RPG on the iPhone, which is not only available in English, but also in other languages like German. It does not matter if it’s old or simple. It may be the first one for non-english speakers!

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I really quite like the new sprites, I'll be getting the games just to see all the updated enemy designs.

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    I will admit, Lich looks pretty cool in that pic:)