Feedback on my game icon

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by applicattura, Sep 1, 2015.

1. applicattura

applicattura Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Hello toucharcade community :)

I'm an amateur in game developing market. Actually I'm trying to make an icon for my top-view submarine game. This is what I have, I would really like to get feedback from experienced mobile game fans and developers :)

[​IMG]

2. Thinkerton Games

Thinkerton Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 11, 2015
    I think it's nicely detailed and shaded, but it doesn't quite 'pop' enough. Possibly needs more contrast, it might be that the background detail is a little muddy and gets lost. A couple of other things of note, it might just be me but I have no idea what the object is. When I think submarines, I think views from a periscope, torpedos and sonar. I would also work on the border bevel, making those curves around the inner corners cleaner.

Hope that helps, I don't mean to be too critical!

3. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for your advices :) It's a top view similar to flight control models :) I'll try to change the contrast.

4. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    it doesn't tell me what your game is about ....the target obscures the submarine to the point you don't know its a submarine !

5. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks lazr, I'll try to change the icon and then post it here :)

6. sfjohansson

sfjohansson Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Male
    Game Developer
    London
    I agree about the not being able to tell it is a submarine, the hatch pops out well but doesn't say a whole lot of the game and the submarine just disappears into the water.

7. supafly129

supafly129 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd definitely say make the submarine more visible and perhaps more contrast in the border, at a glance it's really hard to tell what the game is about. the blue is beautiful however!

8. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    While your game is top down, I think you should still consider a more classic image. Google image search "submarine periscope view". Could look really nice on an icon and as a paradigm doesn't seem to have been used much on the App Store.

9. Tobi (AppGemeinde)

Tobi (AppGemeinde) Well-Known Member

#9 Tobi (AppGemeinde), Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Bad

Bad. First view: Looks like a button on a hippie batic shirt. When I see this, I am not interested to look further. You need a submarine, even when your game has topview.

It's the same thing with cd album covers: 70% of the buyers decide to have a closer look depending from the cover. You need a better picture. Forget about the hard work. Throw this one away and start new. First with a visible submarine. Search for the 3 best selling submarine apps and took the best out of it. copy the best and build your one.

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    On the other hand, while I have no idea what the app is based on the image, I actually think it looks really cool. The longer I stared at it, the more it looks like the submarine is coming out of the app. I think the 3D is pretty solid for just using shading and perspective. Kudos for that. I would love to see that 3D incorporated into a version that is a little more descriptive of the game itself (i.e. a submarine).

11. pjgames25

pjgames25 Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Seattle
    I think it is pretty good, but like others have already said, it is difficult to tell what it is exactly. Furthermore, the image doesn't set the tone of the game. When you look at an icon like Cut the Rope, you know instantly what type of tone is being set. Maybe try to design the icon around both the content of the game, and the tone you are wanting to evoke. I say this because most players are going to just the game sole from the icon. And, if the icon doesn't evoke the tone of the game, then they would simply look over it. Hope this helps.

12. Part Time Monkey

Part Time Monkey Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Male
    Monkey Man
    Helsinki, Finland
    Have to agree with the many others, it isn't clear enough what's it about on first sight. Something more submarine-y or iconic could work better. :)