Simplicity how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#1 Syndicated Puzzles, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    We just released a mac app called Finger Alarm. We stripped away everything.
    Grab a clock hand, drag it to the desired time, let go, presto the alarm is set.

Sales for the first day have been terrible. We shot ourselves in the foot simplifying the app way too much.

PEOPLE LOVE BUTTONS!

Finding that fine line of great design, focusing on simplicity and ease of use in comparison to a top heavy design loaded with features is always a tough call for any developer in any category.

Unfortunately the screen shoots need to justify the price of an app. Tonnes of content = bigger price tag! Stripped down apps that are highly functional could hide twice as much coding, but these tend not to screen shot as well.

The App Store has to be treated similar to a display widow in a department store,
    put as much crap on display as you possibly can to sell your wares.

Simple design one day might be appreciated but in today's app market place " More is better"

A real shame.

Busy putting buttons back.

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Do you think it's the lack of buttons, or the fact that everybody on the planet already has 1-5 alarm clocks in their house, on their phones, and as a free widget on the OSX dashboard?

3. Syndicated Puzzles

We released two similar products on the same platform with a tonne of content and they sold amazingly. (especially on the first day) So I am using that as a reference.

I also agree the world is flooded with devices that keep time. Desperately waiting for an implant that goes directly under the skin, that dispenses a cocktail of adrenaline and caffeine at the precise moment when I am supposed to wake up.

Always amazed at people that still walk around with these gigantic wrist watches highlighting them while talking on their cell phones.

4. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    If you make an app for that, I would be very grateful. Maybe you could make your alarm clock app give off a horrific scream as an alarm? Nothing like a murderous scream to get the ol' adrenaline flowing in the morning! :D

I suppose you are right about the screenshots making or breaking simple apps. Just an idea here but- What about getting an artist to make a cartoon alarm clock character that tells you what is going on in each screenshot? Often when I've seen simple games on the iPhone, they spruce the screenshots up with a additional art to make the simple concepts seem more attractive.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you ask me, people love complexity... but buried under a layer of simplicity. Loads of customization and options, but hide it all away under a really simple and attractive GUI.

What I want from these types of screenshot are one showing me how clean and elegant the app looks, then another one showing me the wealth of options available to me if I want them.

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Structure

Very well phrased. Finger Alarm has no layers. Everything is visible. What you see is what you get.

We like to programme exactly the way you are describing ( Office Alarm), but recently we have refused to add too much content. Hoping people will appreciate the simplicity. I guess we might have to go back to the drawing board.