How do i "close" games on my new 3g S?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by llb33, Jul 15, 2009.

1. llb33

llb33 Member

May 4, 2009
    Ok, i've had a touch for a while and i close my games by holding down the button (instead of just tapping it) for a few seconds, on my 3g S it goes to voice recognition. I know things kinda start locking up when you dont close your games, so how do i do this now?

Thanks!

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    ...You tap the button once.

3. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i dont think holding down the button works anymore. it doesnt work on my touch, so maybe it just fully closes when you press it once, i guess...
    :/

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Same as with the other iPhones/iPods, you don't need to hold the button down for a few seconds, just click it.

5. 148Apps

148Apps New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Third party apps such as games always quit when you tap the home button. Only Apple apps such as Safari and Mail stay in memory.

A couple things -- The 3GS has 2x the memory so that memory issues should be much rarer.

And to force quit an app under 3.0 (you should only even need to do this to Safari or Mail), hold down the power button (top right) until the power off screen comes up, then hit the home button to force close the app and dismiss the power off screen.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    No you guys don't get it, he force quits every app when he's done to preserve memory usage. On the 3gs you hve to hold down the power button until the slider comes up at the top, then hold down the home button until it force quits.

7. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    the OS does not allow multitasking unless you jailbreak. applications are 'quit' when you hit the home button. it doesn't seem like it because 98% of them save their state as they are quitting and resume there when you come back.

the problems come from:

1) memory leaks (from buggy software)
    2) other resource leaks
    3) memory fragmentation
    4) "background" OS processes like push notifications, tower changeovers, etc.

Your ipod/iphone needs to be rebooted periodically to deal with these problems, just like a PC.

8. llb33

llb33 Member

May 4, 2009
    thank you sir, that worked i believe, thanks for all the replies!

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm very confused... You can't close apps with the home button on the 3gs? :confused:

10. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I believe that response deserves one of these responses sir.
    +1

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, you can -- just like with any other iPhone or iPod Touch. The question is about force quitting apps, which you only would to if:

1) The app freezes
    2) You want to quit a background-capable app like mail (to improve performance)

On older iPhones, you used to force quit by holding down the home button. On the 3gs, holding down the home button activates voice recognition. The way to force quit on the 3gs is well explained above.

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I believe the OP was wondering how to release the memory. Before the 3.0 upgrade I could hold the home button and the app would quit and free up the memory. It doesn't seem to work anymore, even on my 3G.