MFi Controller and iOS 8.1 ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Theride, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Theride

Theride New Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi!
    I would like to know if the bug with MFi controller in iOS 8 has been fixed in iOS 8.1 ?
    Thank you very much.

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Thus far, I havent experienced any issues with the Mad Catz Micro CTRLi. It seems the bug might be limited to the Rebel and the Stratus.

Apple is also investigating the issue, so there might be a more fundamental fix for the other controllers

3. Theride

Theride New Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks for yours answer.
    I have the Stratus from Steelseries (that 's why I stay on iOS 7).
    I read (http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/19/psa-the-moga-rebel-and-steelseries-stratus-ios-8/) that only Apple could fix the problem, so I don't know if they did it in iOS 8.1. :(

4. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I ordered an Air 2 yesterday so i have to deal with this issue (i have the stratus).I really hope they will fix it and the stratus doesn't end as a piece of dead plastic now.I payed 70 f*cking Euro just half a year ago :rolleyes:

5. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    There's a firmware update on the stratus website that adresses the IOS8 issues.I tried it with all MFI compatible games i have.All good.

6. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Sadly, that doesn't address the lag issues. Launch a game like Sonic in a memory constrained situation, and you'll find that joystick and d-pad inputs lag noticeably. Hopefully SteelSeries is planning to fix that, because it makes a number of games very difficult to play...

7. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    i played racing games like asphalt 8 or Beach Buggy racing yesterday.I would also consider them"critical"to input lags (maybe not like sonic but still...) but i couldn't notice any lag.If it's there then it's still very playable.

edit:thanks for doing afterpad btw,nice site!

8. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California

Yeah, it works in some games, but it's too inconsistent for me to really recommend. There is an identifiable, reproducable problem here, and SteelSeries really needs to address it.

Could be worse, though - the MOGA Rebel barely works in iOS 8

9. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    After testing it a couple of hours more i have to admit there IS still a small lag with the stratus.As said before,still very playable for me.

Anyway,the stratus was just a compromise (although an expensive one) until more controller for an affordable price show up.I have an eye on the Madcatz controller now but will wait another couple of months and see how the market grows...and the prices go down.