How to create your own app?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Max_TO, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I am hoping some of the experienced app developers out there might be able to give some helpful tips on how to create an app ?

Also , if you have any good how to links please feel free to post them as well .

If you could also share your own thoughts on the hole process of creating an app and how you found the experience I would be very interested to hear your story .

2. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#2 sticktron, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Google is your friend. There is a wealth of information out about getting started with iPhone development.

You can start by signing up as a developer with Apple, and downloading the iPhone SDK. There is enough sample code to get you going with a basic starter app.

If ObjC is too daunting at first, you can always create a WebApp, which is simpler.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    With some Voodoo Magic.

4. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks for the reply , I just signed up with apple !

I guess my big question is how hard is it for a person who is new to the dev side to get into creating am app ?

Also are there available resources out there to help a noob get started ?

5. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Sing this song:

Abracadabra, in my banana,
    the trees will fly away,
    voodoo! voodoo! valhalla!
    make me an Iphone app today!

(over a pot of boiling eye of newt)

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So uh... which programming languages do you know?

7. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I dabbled in second life scripting

8. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#8 sticktron, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    There is no concept of "how long does it take to make an app".
    It totally depends on what you want your app to do.

A simple app to search google images and display the results in a table view is quick. An hour maybe for a new ObjC programmer. Most of the time is finding your way around XCode and the "system" Apple uses to create applications (eg. where your code goes amongst the pre-created code, what needs to be wired to what, etc.)

If you want to add more functionality, then it takes more time. The sky is the limit. As long as you can afford to spend the hours/days/months coding, you can create as deep and feature-rich an app as you can think of.

To make the example image searcher a paid app, you could add features like: rotate to trigger a coverflow view; save to camera roll; set as wallpaper; ratings; favorites; similar-to searches; etc. You'd have to spend some time learning about creating a database, storing preferences, implementing built-in Apple functionality, multiple views, view managers, navigation, etc. All of a sudden the scope is much larger.

9. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Is there an online dictionary of apple dev code ?

10. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    GameSalad might be a good place to start...

...and I wrote a textbook to make it even easier to use that software...

I find the App creation process to be incredibly frustrating, but also lots of fun. It's like a struggle to find success in this saturated market, but it was great to see my app featured. It's tough, because your app could be largely ignored. I worked for weeks on an app. I thought it was my best project ever. On release day... zero sales! Heh, so no early retirement for me.

Apple's approval process is rough... very frustrating. I've had apps rejected for trivial reasons, which didn't happen with the Android Market. It's tough!

Yet, when you find yourself singing video game songs while you create your next project, you realize that you're doing what you're meant to do. I'm working on an RPG for my next project. Heh, and the Legend of Zelda theme song keeps playing in my head.

If you're in it for a hobby... it can be very entertaining.
    If you're in it to make money... it will likely be a tough fight.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    GameSalad is the place to be! Step by step and fairly simple! I recommend that, Median!

12. domino5343

domino5343 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Need....a.....jooobbb lol
    On a Boat!
  13. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Isn't there a section for developers, many recognized developers are out there. You could go to talk with then providing they're welcoming you to be an opponent.