We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Is it worth my buck???

Just kidding!!! ;)

2. Seeing as it's free, I reckon it isn't, though it would be if the people at Touch Arcade are hit with a dumb-ray and decide to increase the price

I'm pretty much going to reply to every question on this topic you add 'Just Kidding' to...have I been hit by that dumb-ray?

Just kidding!!! ;)

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Awe cool, a new dump thread for price talk! :D

4. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Quit being such a cynic. I created this thread to clear the air up as to whether can we or can we not discuss about a game's price in its thread. If others want to hijack this thread and make it look like a joke, that's up to them.

5. I'm sorry...I hope you can forgive me

6. Just kidding!!! ;)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2327 Vovin, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Besides all kiddings, I agree to what Eli said; I meant the same a few post before, but didn't explained it in that detail.
    The pricing question is always a matter of one's own point of view.

What the AppStore really needs is a stable pricing system. This would invite a lot more devs (especially bigger companies) to design games for iDevices.

The perfect pricing system for me is when the dev makes an introductory sale (first 2-3 days) to reward the supporters and early adopters and then sticks to the normal price of the app and eventually put the app on sale on holidays - maybe Christmas, Easter holidays and Thanksgiving or something like that.
    Look at Steam. Steam is doing this in exactly the way I described it. Introductory sale, then a special sale for most games once or twice per year and also the occassional holiday sales.
    The customers feel insecure about the AppStore pricing politics lately... you can read it in a lot of threads. People hestitate to buy because they don't know if the game drops in price or goes free 1-7 days later.

If Apple would allow the developers to lower the price for every app only 3-4 times per year, there wouldn't be such a confusion as it is right now.
    Just because they need to choose the time for the sales more carefully. Customers would feel more secure.

An example? I don't like Zynga, but decided to get Horn. I already saw that it dropped in price once. I was very unsure at the X-mas holidays to buy it instantly, because I expected a price drop sooner or later. This behaviour is very unsusal for me. I buy an app when I want it, not just when it is on sale. After 3 days I facepalmed myself and got Horn for 6€ without further hestitation. At that day, I realised that I am starting to act like a lot of other people. That's not meant in an offending way at those who have less ressources than me, it's more the general behaviour today. "6 bucks? Oh, %§#! I will wait for a sale."

I am sometimes annoyed because AppShopper constantly shows the same apps jumping up'n'down in price every two days. Look into the history of some apps on AppShopper and you'll notice that they have about 5 - 15 price changes per month.
    The AppStore competition is very hard, for sure, and the devs are often willing to pass on some bucks just to get more exposure by making stuff free. But this is also spoiling their customers to a certain degree. They eventually await mostly everything for a buck or for free.

The freemium / paymium problem that Connector mentioned is mostly caused by the unpredictable pricing desaster that holds the AppStore in a firm grip. That's why I highly respect devs like the ones from Starbase Orion or Battle Academy. They stick to their words and, that thing that is of utter importance: they don't devaluate their works.

In the end, while a debate or discussion about pricings in general might be a good idea, to discuss every single price of an app is wasted time because of all the reasons already mentioned in this thread (and, of course, the price discussion garbage thread).

The only reason where a discussion should be allowed is when the IAP in a game has a direct impact on the game itself.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010

9. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok, so now even mods are turning this thread into a joke. Good job! *claps hands*

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2330 Vovin, Jan 9, 2013

The thread is about prices. Means: jokes allowed. Don't expect anything else.
    And a discussion thread about discussions about app prices is surely funny... ;)

But I see now, you wanted an answer for the following question:

And here is your answer: No. Not in the game's thread.

O.k. now? :)

11. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok, thanks for ruining this thread. Talk about hypocrites...

12. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Why can't things be 1.00 2.00 etc. why 2.99 or 4.99?

13. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Interesting. I wondered before too. Maybe some bigwigs can weigh in on this?

On Android/Google Play, prices can be set anywhere between. Not .99 only. Why is this the case? I always like buying games at $1.29, or $1.49.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2334 Vovin, Jan 9, 2013

Dunno why you are pouting. You got some opinions, I also answered the initial question and added a bunch of things to the debate... the thread was a major success for you.

You know now that talking or complaining about price tags isn't allowed in the games threads.

But IF your intention was to change that current state of disallowance by creating this thread: forget it.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2335 Vovin, Jan 9, 2013

Psychological trick. Marketing technique.

$10.00 is ten bucks. $9.99 is nine bucks. It is one penny shy of 10 bucks, but marketing studies repeatedly show that people think of $9.99 as a better deal than $10.00, even though the real difference is a penny. Our mind focuses on the first number, not the pennies or cents.

16. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I have to say im not impressed with the developer not putting the title on sale. I understand they can do what they want I have seen countless videos and reviews (also some friends have it) on the title from others and while it looks good $19.99 for the game on iOS is just plain stupid to me. I won't spend that.

I wont buy it, and thousands more won't as well. $9.99 would be about what it's worth from my perspective. I will hold out for a sale, but I can tell you this alot more people are pirating it than paying $20.00 and thats the sad truth. Would it kill you since you already have IAP to cut the consumer a break on the title.

17. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I have purchased it and I am glad that they don't put it on sale! :cool:

It is a high end software and I am glad that they made it ... and ... if they would put it down ... I would think twice to buy their next game right after the start!

I really hate it, if developers put their software on sale after a few weeks or months ...

So ... Just do not buy the game ... it is your problem! :rolleyes:

18. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    That's the worst argument for a lower price I've ever heard. I wish I could go into a store and say, " hey, since shoplifters are stealing your stuff, I should get a discount for not being a thief."

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I watched the dev interview video and I actually applaud the dev's for saying they made a premium game with a premium price.
    So many dev's these days must make hardly anything money wise by making iOS games and then they shaft early buyers by making there game free to try and get a little extra publicity. I'd much rather a dev stick to their word and have faith in their game.

20. #2340 Connector, Jan 9, 2013
    Haha, cynic, wow, like your fighting spirit. Can't believe that thread is now here. Surprised to reread alot of posts from the thread here now. :)

Yeah, I do feel for you, and respect that you are doing the right thing by asking. But alot of times price talks bring on huge flamewars, whether it be if a game is worth x dollars, or the usual early adopters getting screwed flame wars. But price talk is kind of subjective, and I don't think this policy will change. So as Vovin said, the answer is no.

However, you can always comment about a game and if it was a good value for you or other things. A lot of the remarks about pricing, its not really a black and white policy, its more of a way to prevent flamewars about pricing or giving developers the right to price games as they want. So just keep it simple, if you don't like a game, state why and say you regretted it, or wasn't worth your buck, or whater. Just don't post stuff about this app should be a dollar app, or why the heck it's ten dollars. I don't think the mods and admins are just out to get you or others. Heck a lot of Vovins and my posts get shipped here sometimes. Take it as a honor like we do. ;)

Just kidding!!! ;)