Promo codes for beta testers not a given?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dclose, May 9, 2013.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I've beta tested several iOS games recently, found several bugs, provided feedback about level progression and ease, etc. In all but one case the developers didn't give promo codes to the testers once the game was published. For one of the games, the developer actually fawned all over Twitter about the one guy who had nothing but positives to say about their game, even going so far as to send him posters and other goodies. The rest of us got squat, not even thanks. And, in all cases, the developers did public promo code giveaways after their game was published, either here or on other sites.

I beta test out of a love for the iOS platform, and a love to help get great quality stuff get out there to the public. I certainly don't test for financial gain. I do, however, give up a lot of time and put a lot of effort into providing quality feedback, so I am more than a little surprised to see that being given a copy of the game, or even a mention in the credits, at the end of this process isn't a given. For several of the games I tested, I was sought out via email and my help was personally requested by particular developers. I didn't volunteer up front.

Is my experience typical? It's certainly putting me off wanting to help out!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Most of the time I've recieved promo codes for the games I tested, but not always. Be sure to ask the developer before you put serious work in if you're expecting a code...

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Interesting. I beta tested in the PC world for a long time, and being given a copy of the game at the end of the process was a given. It never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be the same here.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Since many indies have no industry experience, they probably didn't mean to slight you. They just don't know what beta testers expect.

5. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

A mention in the credits is expected, but promo codes are tricky. Since you have a limited number, they're better used for marketing/promotion (eg: sites that might review your game) than a reward. I think the number you get is 50.

I would probably give out codes and/or gift the same out of pocket for testers that provided good input though.

6. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    #6 Appvism, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Although i would not say it is a given, i think out of courtesy, the dev should be offering a promo code for the final version. But of course, i guess this should have been known or clarified beforehand.

If it was me, and i was looking for beta testers, if i didn't mention any rewards or such like at the start then i would have probably thanked the tester at the end with a promo code of the game (assuming after testing, they still wanted one!).

7. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I think it depends on many things, for example how many media promo codes a developer needs to send out, how many beta testers there are, and stuff like that.

An iOS developer only gets 50 codes, which can go quickly to the media and especially if you're doing promo code give-aways as promotions.

It could also be that the dev forgot. Remember that there's a lot to do when releasing a game. You could just email them near the end and ask for a promo code if any are left over. I'm sure a dev will give you one if they can.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    its 50 codes per version, so for each cycle through the approval process you get 50 new codes. alot of hassle for a few codes.

dont understand the limit anyway. 50 or 500 or even unlimited whats the difference.

as for gifting, can you gift across regional stores? if not thats another problem.
    dev sits in country x and testers are spread around the globe.

tricky.

as for crediting also tricky. who do you credit, all? even ifchalf of them never gave any feedback? do you filter by beta testing quality? it can be all very tasking for small indies.

imho if i test i do because i like to help not get some reward. at the end you test games you like so you play unreleased games first and for free. thats enough for me. if i can help with an advice or two even better.

9. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    You can only gift to the same region. I once gifted our app to hundreds of people, but found out during the process that the international folks who asked for it wouldn't be able to redeem it. It was Apple's policy to not allow international gifting. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's how it goes.

10. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#10 Foursaken_Media, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Promo codes are limited, and are very important for trying to get reviews on release... when we do betas, we simply can't afford to give testers promo codes, or else we wouldn't have any for anything else. Another thing is being fair. Often in our previous betas we had a LOT of people giving great feedback and doing an awesome job... if we were to be consistent and give everyone who provided valuable feedback a code - again - we wouldn't have any left.

As for credits, we don't even put our own names in the credits :p In fact, we don't have any credits! But that's just us :p

I don't know, I think that getting your hands on an early version months before release should be reward enough... often times you have a chance to put an imprint on the game itself (depending on the developers and the beta), which can be pretty sweet. Heck, usually in PC games you have to buy the game first, and an early beta is an actual reward for your support. Its not like you're getting rewarded for participating in a beta...

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #11 dclose, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    Now that you mention it, I realize that's a possibility these days with a couple of the bigger firms, and becoming more common now that Kickstarter is around. I've never paid for access to beta testing a PC game, and I'd never go that route myself, but I agree, the times they are a'changing, and I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Thanks for the explanations! Makes sense. Though I think if you're seeking someone out special for testing, reserving a code is a nice gesture to make, especially if you're running a "hey guys, here's 30 codes for free" contest immediately upon release instead of saving them for reviewers.

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    dd you ask them for a code? i mean there sre simple thing in the world like forgetting to write that email with the code... or so..