How important is 2.2.1 these days?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GlennX, Oct 23, 2009.

1. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Does anyone have any up to date stats on how many users are still running OS 2.2.1? I'm thinking it might be a good idea (for various reasons) to move my game to 3.0 or newer and was wonderig how many users that might alienate.

2. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    It will only be the iPod Touch users who don't want to pay $5
    But i guess with new features in 3.0 i guess the percentage would be very less. Not quite sure about the stats though.

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I've heard that an overwhelming majority still have 2.2.1
    I may be wrong, but I heard it somewhere.
    If you think about the 30 + million "old phones" and "old ipod touches" out there, not everyone is computer savvy to install OS updates...

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    2.2.1 is VERY important, atleast from my experience. When I submitted the first update to Stick Escape lite, it was 4th Top Free App on the App Store. For some reason, the 2.2.1 (and lower) SDK was gone from my computer, it was no where to be seen. Being short on time, I submitted the update with 3.x. Now, Stick Escape lite (this is about a week after the update came out) is off of the Top 100.

If at all possible, make your game 2.2.1 compatible! An update has been in review since the day that the last one came out, it has 2.2.1 compatibility and a few other things.

5. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    thanks for correcting me - I can't remember where I heard the information - and apparently, it was incorrect! Its a small percentage - thank god!

7. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
  8. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I don't know.. are games made for 2.2.1 compatable with 2.2?

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not quite - These are requests to their website, and 35% of iPod Touch requests were 2.2.1...

I do some, but only a small portion of my web browsing on my iPod Touch, so I bet the iPT numbers here are low.

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Actually you have that backwards... only 35% of iPod Touch users that they detected were running 3.0 or 3.1 (compared to 91% of iPhones on OS 3.0 or 3.1). This means 65% of ALL iPod Touches out there are running 2.2.1 and lower. And I believe I read another article not too long ago that pointed out iPod Touch owners actually download *more* games than iPhone owners...

So, yeah, I think 2.2.1 (and below) is still very important. Especially as more developers target 3.0 and up, the audience for 2.2.1 compatible games will be even more hungry for something they can actually run. That's why I target 2.0! :D

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You are correct, my bad. I was already thinking 35% was a significantly large group, this just points it out to being more so!

12. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    If your app is an iPhone-only app, 3.0 is the way to go…

Otherwise, as pointed out, you're going to be cutting out more than half of the iPod touches out there…

I really wish Apple would get their asses in gear and give the OS updates for free to iPod touch owners. Most of them couldn't care less about spending $5 for copy/paste.