iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Definately will buy this, although being an RTS newb I'll probably struggle.

Any news of a potential Blue Attack/Defense one app combo?

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    1. Is there an option to activate "advanced UI" (so the UI we all know until now) permanently or do we have to activate it at thee beginning of every game?

2. Some suggestions for Online Multiplayer (if you can't add them in Episode 2, it would be nice if you think about adding them later :D)
    A. Chat Lounges. Where you can chat with up to X (something about 8 or 10, not too many people...) people at once (maybe different lounges with different amounts of players possible)
    B. Ingame Chat... Touch the Options Button (the one on the very right) ingame, keep finger onscreen and move to a Speech-Bubble-like symbol (which would need to be added ofcourse :D), this opens a chat panel.
    C. Voice-Chat... would be awesome for ingame communication, with the ability to speak to team or to all players...
    D. Clans... Possibility to build a Clan if you have already played... 20 matches (to prevent clan spamming). Clan-Name can be defined by the leader. Three Ranks: Member, High Member, Leader (names may be changed :D). Most clanmembers are norml members, leader is the one who founded the clan and high member/leader have the ability to invite others into the clan. Leader can promote members to high members, etc...
    D.1 Clanwars. When there are 6 People in a Chat Lounge, 3 of Clan A and 3 of Clan B (just an example), they can start a Clan War (a match, 3on3 between the clans) which somehow affects the rating of the clans... one high member or leader is needed to allow an official clan war (so the clan rating isn't made bad by random clan members who need to learn strategies etc), otherwise the clan war will be inofficial and wont affect the rating.
    E. Spectator Slots... In every game, up to (2... 4... I don't know what the system can do :D) people can join who don't play, but only watch! They would be able to chat with the other spectators (and maybe if the host has activated a special option they can chat with the normal players, too)... this would be a great way to show strategies etc

3. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California

WOW these are perfect examples of what I also want in multiplayer. I seem to have missed some responses. I think the biggest ones though would be chat and spectator. I think voice chat is going to be weird to implement. Apple would only allow it wifi and the rating of the app would most likely have to go up as well.

I'll add a few more the list:

-Friend List, add members to your friend list.
    -Push notification invites.
    -Online Play on 3g (one can only dream :eek: )

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    This. Maybe you could control the whole map like normal (drag, pinch, etc). and the only buttons available while spectating would be a cycle button (to quickly move between players).

I'll be happy if this is the only feature that's implemented in online play.

5. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I think push notification invites would help a lot. Especially if there isnt a big enough fanbase. I would totally make some time to try to play with any one of you if i got an invite.

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh yeah, push would be great as well.

7. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    We have no plans to do this.

8. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    any thoughts on push notifications?

9. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    The ui limitations are only there at the beginning of campaign levels 1, 2, and a new side-mission (in the 1.0.2 update). All other levels, skirmish/multiplayer, and challenge modes have the full UI by default. :)

as for multiplayer, our current plans include some sort of basic chat capability, and a friends list.

I'll look into push invites for the first release, too - that can't be toooo hard.

As for the other stuff, we'll be keeping a list of improvements in mind while we're designing the system - but we'll definitely get a workin online multiplayer system into your hands as quickly as possible. :). I wouldn't want to implement too many things and be debugging it for half a year! :p

10. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Push game invites seem like a really logical thing to do. :)

11. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I'm glad you agree :)

Friend's list + push would be epic.

12. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Friends list + chat seem to be pretty logical options.
    Push, (if it isn't too hard) would be great because as others have said the problems of a fanbase can often kill multiplayer, and Push pretty much eliminates that problem.

13. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    If you add a chat system, how about having 5 or 10 Quick-Chat Buttons... what should these do?

In the options menu, you can set a text for each button (maybe even an icon for each button, where you can pick out of some premade icons [your artist is a genius :D I love the graphics])... then, ingame, you just have to click this button (limited to 1 quickchat button per 3 seconds to reduce spam :D) and you automatically say something like "Yes!" or "Damn, you got me!"

Btw, I opened a group "Red Conquest, 2nd Fleet"... but it still needs members :D if you join before online multiplayer is released, you are accepted automatically. After the release of online multiplayer, you will have to take a test (that doesn't mean you have to actually win... would be bad if I would make a group with only people who are better than me :D)

14. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    As a result of my discussion with DGH about which game is better (Red Conquest or Aqua Globs... :D), I've written a review on this game. It's submitted (part of it... I will need to post the rest of it as a response, hopefully this is possible :/ ) and needs to be approved by a moderator...

15. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
  16. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    One of them is mine :p
    nice review :)

17. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    I created a thread that links to all reviews... would be nice if you linked it in your signature :D (link can be found in my signature :D)

18. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Local multiplayer doesn't work :(
    I tried vs. my brother multiple times (some weeks ago we tried via bluetooth, now via Wifi)...

When the game starts, the host can play as if the game was working... but the other player who joined can't start... he only gets the Mission Objectives Screen and there's a text saying "Waiting for the other players..."

19. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    I have this issue as well, but only on specific firmware versions and under specific conditions.

Try upgrading to the latest firmware (both of you), and having either WiFi or Bluetooth on, but not both at the same time.

When I saw the issue, it was with my 3GS hosting (3.1.2) and my 3G as the client (3.0). An iPod touch 2G with 3.1 never had the issue.

So yeah, try updating and disabling one of wifi/Bluetooth (on both devices), and let me know if you still have the problem. The same problem happens for me on Rock Band, so I think it's apple's fault. :(

20. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009