Will the much-rumored iPad Mini lead to the eventual phasing out of the current iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by HarryWarden, Sep 12, 2012.

1. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I can imagine that the Mini will sell like crazy because of its cheaper price and smaller size. That leads me to wonder whether it will sell so well that Apple will phase out the current, more expensive version like they phased out the 17-inch MacBook Pro.

2. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    iPad won't be phased out, it's been very integrated into society, businesses, schools, universities,

And it's also in (falls asleep) zzzzz.....zzzz......

17" MacBook pro was not as accepted into society remotely like this ipad device is.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iPad mini isn't making a show at keynote anyway

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I guess you could call iPod Touch 5th that?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No. It's a music player, not a tablet.

Nice to see apple hasn't abandoned it, though

6. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    No new iPad announcements at keynote, or MacBook. That's all I was hoping for /:

Not that impressed with iPhone 5 or the new iPods. iPods are useless to me, since I play music on iPhone, and the only major change in iPhone is slightly taller. Meh. I miss Steve.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Can you explain to me what you think Steve would've done differently at this press event? Take time away from the iPhone to reveal a lineup of new notebooks? Really?

8. The main feature the ipad mini will not have is ipad retina. Most people bought their new ipads for this feature, so the new ipad will still sell well despite the lower cost and portability of the ipad mini.

There is nothing out there that looks as wonderful as ipad retina, and hopefully one day the ipad mini will be ipad retina cause then the bigger ipad will be ipad retina+, but also many people still prefer a bigger screen for games and internet.

But love that price point for the ipad mini. There will be a lot more ipad games being developed, so even new ipad users will get a benefit!

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    What's wrong with you? "it's slightly taller"... Seriously?? iPhone 5 has a 4 inch retina 1136x640 display, the A6 Chip (twice faster that the A5), faster Wi-Fi, better battery, improved camera etc.

10. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    The iPhone 5 is an amazing piece of kit. I am looking forward to picking mine up when it is released :)

I am so glad I waited and didn't get a 4S.

11. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    The iPad Mini is just out there to squash the market of nooks and kindles.

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Or the Samsung Note?

13. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    iPad mini? The whole point of iPad is to have a large comfy screen while keeping a light weight. If I want a tiny screen to fit into my pocket I'll just use my iPhone or iPod, especially the iPod since it's like 3x cheaper than the iPad. :rolleyes:

14. HarryWarden

Aug 22, 2012
    There were rumors that Apple was going to make changes to the existing iPad mid-cycle. Did they announce any today?

15. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    No they didn't. They didn't announce an iPad mini either. Has it ever been mentioned by anyone at Apple?

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Wasn't Steve Jobs against a smaller iPad? Based on his legacy, I doubt the "iPad Mini" isn't arriving anytime soon.

17. HarryWarden

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm glad they didn't make changes mid-cycle to the iPad as it would kind of stink for those of us who just upgraded. I personally would have been tempted to return mine and wait for the upgraded model to be available. Apparently, they are waiting for the iPad 4 to make the change to the dock connector to match the new iPhone and iPod Touch.

18. They still could though, they still haven't announced the ipad mini, and there does seem to still be a lot of rumours of this mysterious mid-cycle update to the new ipad. I still think it has something to do with the Samsung vs Apple wars since the new ipad screens were made by Samsung, so that must have something to do with all of these rumours.

But we'll see I guess. Wonder if that new screen with one light bar would look better than the original new ipad. And if that new battery would last longer.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    In the long run the major change is in the size. The average user will never see any better battery life. Faster wifi? Wifi is already pretty fast. That and the camera remind me of the dictate feature for iPad 3. It's nice, but I never really use it. The a6 chip is also nice, but i was thinking apple would go quad core in the gpu department to follow the iPad 3. There will marginal speed differences I think, as some of that power will go towards the extra pixels. Major speed increases always come every other generation.

Im just disappointed or a little let down because we already knew most of the stuff was going into the 5. Wish there was a "surprise" feature, but hey, I'm expecting far to much.

20. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I agree. (I wrote the specifications in order from <Very good> to <Meh> :) ). And I was hoping for quad-core too, but seriously... theres nothing that the dualcore couldnt handle right now.