Universal 15 Coins (by Engaging Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by EngagingGames, Feb 23, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've had half hour or so today with the game, at first I was frustrated as I knew what I had to do, but I couldn't get to where I needed to be, felt a bit like it had a mind of it's own, but after five mins or so it kind if clicked and so far my best is four coins in 30 seconds or so, it's one of those games that is difficult but in a good way, it keeps you wanting one last go, usually I prefer touch controls over tilt but I think tilt suits this well, I'm looking forward to see how it feels with touch options though and it's always good to have a choice.

I'm gonna have fun when it's released kicking Jchos arse on gamecentre lol.

2. EngagingGames

EngagingGames Active Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Awesome! Yeah, the tilt controls can take a little while to get used to(and admittedly, they're not perfect), but I think they work pretty well once you get used to them. The problem is that it takes time to figure it out, so adding touch controls was a must after all the feedback we received. Hopefully people will be able enjoy one or the other. :)

We were definitely going for difficult but in a good way and the whole "just one more try" vibe, so it's always great to hear someone acknowledge that. :D

I think this is the first public challenge! Hopefully there's many more to come when we finally make it to release. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

3. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    Hey everyone!

We're still working on the finishing touches before putting out the next beta build. We're also working on the launch trailer and here's a little eye candy to keep this post from being too boring:

[​IMG]

4. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    Loved the art style and the gameplay seems really polished! Would definitely give it a try if there's more space!

5. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    Sorry I'm a little late, but thanks for the interest! PM sent. :)

6. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    #26 szu75, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Some quick initial thoughts on the game,
    The visual and music blends really well together with the slow-but-tense gameplay. The title and progression bar makes me dying to want to know what will happen after I get 15 coins, thus I kept playing :p. I think I'm around 15 minutes in my highest is 11 coins on easy. Best strategy I come up with for now is to just rush the coins before the enemies bulk up.

One thing I would really like to have is some kind of visual indication when the timer is almost up, it gets a bit frustrating when you thought you have time but the enemy turns to black the second you touch them. Also an indicator where the enemy actually spawn from will be nice as well (even though they spawn at the same place all the time).

Also I totally forgot there's a difficulty selection in the beginning of the game until I restart the app, maybe it's your intention to not be that visible?

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I agree with the above post. I love the cartoony relaxed style and music. But gosh this is devilishly hard! My best is 11 coins on easy as well.

I'd also like a visualization of when the squares wear off

8. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    @szu75 & JCho133 - Thanks for the feedback! Makes us really happy to hear honest feedback and constructive criticism. It seems that we managed to accomplish what we were going for, which is a hard game that keeps you wanting to play one more time.

We decided against going with an indicator when the freeze period ends because the idea behind it is "risk vs reward" and it makes the player guess a little more(do I have time to reach that clone?). It's supposed to be frustrating, but hopefully in a good way that helps keep the game a little more difficult. We may consider adding some type of indicator in the future, but we're launching as is in hopes that it works as we intended as part of the greater game design.

We also tried out something for where the clones first spawn, but decided against that as well.

Ah, hopefully the difficulty setting only being on the main menu won't be a huge issue. If it turns out to be, we'll have to consider fixing it somehow. :)

@JCho133 --- "But gosh this is devilishly hard!" Awesome! I think that's my favorite quote so far. :D

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#29 Bronxsta, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Just saw this game mentioned in another thread, can't believe I missed it. Definitely my kind of game

Are you still looking for testers?

Also I've been playing this cool freeware PC game that might appeal to the testers here
    A bullet hell shmup where you need to face your clones
    http://frankforce.com/?p=4685

10. Evil Indie Games

Evil Indie Games Well-Known Member

Incredible! Looks like we will be releasing a bit similar in gfx style games in similar time. When I saw your game I was a bit frightened that we made the same games, but hopefully our games are completely different :).

When are you releasing your game, will it be paid or free?

nice work and hopefully different concept than mine :).

11. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    Sorry for the late response…been a bit under the weather this week.

@Bronxsta -- Thanks for the interest! We are set on the launch build, but would definitely love to get feedback from you or anyone else that would like to try the release build early. I'll PM you the testflight link to sign up if you're still interested in giving it a go.

@Evil Indie Games -- Yeah, the gfx have the same minimalistic style, but as far as I can tell the gameplay totally stands on it's own for each of our games. We'll be announcing the launch date and pricing(will be paid) soonish. ;)

Thanks, and good luck with 0-Snake. Looks like a well put together twist on the classic snake gameplay. Will grab it when it hits the store. :D

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#32 Bronxsta, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Playing the beta and I'm really enjoying my time with 15 Coins. I think the most apt comparison would be the twitch game Catch-22 turned up to 11. Your simple goal is to collect the titular 15 coins as they appear on the screen across three difficulty modes. The screen is your arena and the edges loop you around to the other side. Your little arrow moves forward automatically, while you turn left or right. I felt the tilt controls were much too loose and pretty unwieldy but the touch controls are very responsive.

So while collecting coins may be simple in theory, 15 Coins' gameplay mechanic quickly proves that the task is easier said than done. Every few seconds, a clone appears, mirroring your movements over those last seconds. One or two may be easy to evade, but the screen quickly becomes a moving minefield as your past selves begin to fill the screen. However you're not totally defenseless; by collecting a power-up, the clones freeze and you can smash through them. But actually reaching those power-ups and then destroying clones without leaving yourself cornered when they start moving again is a challenge

I've only been playing on Easy, will post more thoughts on the other difficulties once I've tried them

13. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    @Bronxsta: The way you word your experiences really made me feel special. You really captured the essence so well, that we tried to convey. Since we are still getting our feet wet a bit in our early stages, having someone taking time to really dive into the game experience and write about it, feels extraspecial to Blake an me :)

I'd be really interested to get to know whether you managed to get all 15 Coins in easy mode, by now !
    I've just lately managed to go to the next stages of the game, without me ragequitting a good billion times before :D

At the moment, I'm getting really anxious due to the nearing release, so we're a bit off, lately, with crazy thoughts crossing our minds almost daily !

14. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    #34 EngagingGames, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    @Bronxsta - Sorry I'm a little late, been going a bit crazy trying to get everything ready for launch, but really appreciate the write up. :D
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of getting ready for launch, 15 Coins on iOS is launching on April 3rd(OMG! It's already launched in New Zealand…I lost track of time).

So if you're in New Zealand and would like to pick it up, you can do so here: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/15-coins/id812850082?ls=1&mt=8

otherwise, you can check out our little game page here: http://www.engaginggames.com/15Coins/

Oh, and here's the launch trailer:

We really appreciate all the feedback we received from everyone and especially are thankful for all the wonderful people who took the time to test our little game. Thanks to you, 15 Coins turned out better than we ever imagined it would.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wooo yeah! Great job guys! Hope the release goes well

16. EngagingGames

Jul 6, 2011
    Really appreciate it! Our fingers are crossed. :D