Can we use GameCenter Logo?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by FlagellumDei, Dec 12, 2010.

1. FlagellumDei

FlagellumDei Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    Can we use GameCenter logo in our games? Or we need to get a permission from Apple first?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

you need permission to use any apple provided promotional gfx.

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    The official response to this I've seen on Apple's dev forums is that it is not recommended to use this logo in your app. It isn't strictly forbidden though as I've seen a few games use it in their achievement popup.

To be safe I didn't use it - partly because it would become outdated if Apple ever updated the logo.

4. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you can feel free to do your "own" version of their logo.. i'm doing this with pretty much all "apple" assets i would like to use but refuse to use because of their fairly too limiting rules they oppose on using their promo material..

i create my own version who remsemble the real thing enough so you need to take a second look to notice its not apples stuff.

at the end its up to you.. alot of people use apples promo material without even signing the seperate agreement with apple.. one could imagine apple ist strict with such things but its up to everyone to judge if they want to take the risk or not.

5. FlagellumDei

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    Okay, it's safer then not to use the Game Center logo...

6. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    My Game Center buttons are in my game style, but use the GC colours. This seems a common practice.

7. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    I used the actual GC logo as the in game button for GC. Didn't get rejected.

8. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the reviewers do not check for such things.. but lawyers might be..

but i assume apple cuts their developers some slack here and there..

but this is still not a gurantee! that you are legaly safe.

and to be honest where is the huge effort to make your own version of the GC logo.. or anything else you might want to need?

its up to everyone themself how they want to handle things ... better save than sorry :)

9. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #9 amroc, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    No it's not much effort to make my own logo, I just don't think Apple care. There are plenty of games out there that use the actual GC logo in game. I also think it's clearer for the user.

But as you say, it's up to individuals how they wish to handle it.

10. FlagellumDei

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    I don't understand why would Apple complain about using the official logo in iOS games?

A question not relating to GC logo, but about launching the GC App from within a game. How can I do it? I know I can launch the leaderboard or achievement pages, but how can I the GC app?

I'm adding GameCenter support to iRequiem and I would like the user have the option to launch GC.

11. getluky

getluky Well-Known Member

I used a small version of the GC logo on an enable/disable button after I saw that Galaxy on Fire had done something similar. I didn't get rejected, but I'd be happy to remove it if they ever asked. You have to be careful about how you use Apple marketing material, but I didn't personally see any restrictions on use of the GameCenter four-square icon.

12. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well the question would rather be.. where do you got the gc icon from in the first place? this will answere all your legal questions.

13. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    On a related note, where do you find the contracts for this stuff. I'm using the available on the appstore image on my site, but I had to get it from the internet and couldn't find anything about it on itunes connect. Where am I supposed to be looking?

14. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010