LandFormer Icon - Have your say!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OTrain13, May 3, 2010.

?

Which LandFormer icon do you like best (see image in first post of the thread)?

1. Icon A

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. Icon B

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Icon C

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. None of them, design a new one!

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. OTrain13

OTrain13 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Co-founder, Milkbag Games
    Canada
    #1 OTrain13, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    Hi guys:

I'm working on the icon for LandFormer and I need your help! I've got three designs (out of the many I've tried) that I like. I'd like to know which one you like the best...either that, or whether I need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something new. :D

Edit: Just uploaded a new icon based on everyone's feedback. Thanks!

[​IMG]

My 3 favorite icons can be found in the bottom right of this image:

[​IMG]

If you haven't been following the other LandFormer thread and don't know what the game's all about, you can watch this preview video:

Let me know what you think in the poll attached to the post.

Thanks!
    Owen

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Icon B! It looks exactly like the gameplay.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

iCon A it's so nice and relaxing! with B it looks like a screenshot scaled down to 57x57 pixels.

4. I really like B. A is very nice graphically, but it looks like a weather app to me.

B also has a bit of a Farmville look which might hook in a few people to pay a bit more attention to begin actually.

5. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Definitely icon A.

6. A doesn't really fit into the gameplay
    B looks a bit too detailed
    C looks good, but the letters kinda spoil it
    Mix them all together! :D

7. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone! It seems like Icon A is out to an early lead, but people have some concerns about whether or not it communicates the gameplay. I have the same concern. I will give it some thought and see if I can think of something.

Any feedback/suggestions you have is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Owen

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I have to lean toward B, icon A is definitely prettier, but it looks so generic and doesn't convey the gameplay. Icon B does, it looks nice and is clever with the LF integrated into the terrain. C is just plain bleah.

9. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Hello Owen,

Well I also prefer the first one, I really like the landscape view of the mountains and hills.

The second one (B) though is good at actually showing the game play I think its too small to make out. The third one (C) seems to emphasize too much on the initial letter and nothing else (on a small note LF make me think of Line Feed :p).

So for me the first one (A) is definitely more appealing to the eyes, maybe because of the proportion of the mountains vs hills tend to follow more the kind of golden ratio :). A nice relaxing view and still show an elements from the game.

10. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Can anyone think of an interesting way of combining A and B? I don't think the letters in B are actually necessary. I just like the fact that is shows the gameplay by showing the land sections.

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I just like icon C ... it's the only one really stylish and standing out.
    The first is just a sweet pic, the second one is ugly.

But, after voting in the poll, I see that I'm alone with this opinion :)

12. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Icon A is boring, icon C is ugly, icon B is the only logical choice.

13. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Icon A is pretty, but doesn't say anything. If i saw it at a glance, would think it's something related to Japan (mount Fuji) or an environmental app.

Icon B tells you right away what the game is like and has the letters. It's not very pretty, but you know what it is right away.

Icon C doesn't say anything. Just two letters standing around.

14. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    The amazing and talented Mike from WeHeartGames has taken it upon himself to create a new icon for the game. We looked at the feedback everyone had provided (thanks again!) and Mike created this awesome icon:

[​IMG]

I think it verily combines the aesthetic of the old Icon A (the lone mountain) in concert with the game functionality that Icon B conveyed. Pip, pip.

But what say you, forum lords and ladies? Is it Hot, or is it Not?

Owen

P.S. I think it is clear that I have been staring at icons for too long, as it has unfortunately melted my brain.

15. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I love the new icon! I was torn between A and B when voting and this icon is the best of both.:)

16. lordbron

lordbron Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Game Programmer
    Queen Creek, AZ
    You guys make a great combo!

Well, since you did ask we "lords" reply. ;)

I like that newest icon. Having played the game, I'd say it conveys the play as you mentioned.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Beautiful.

18. This icon is definitely a step in the right direction. The tip of the mountain coming out of the icon is a neat touch. However, will the transparency work on an iPad with a background wallpaper?

19. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Glad everyone seems to like it so far! :)

That's a good question. It should be fine, but the mountain top might get a bit lost on a light background. I'm also not sure how transparency renders in the app store. Might have to revisit that part...

Owen

20. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    So I'm told that a transparent icon shows up with black in the transparent areas in iTunes, but shows transparent in the iPhone App Store (so you see the grey bg through). Might need to tweak the icon slightly to make it look good in the store. :)

Owen