Sky Expedition : Exploring Exploration

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Decker, May 10, 2011.

1. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Hello folks!

Stephen from Broken Kings and I have started on a project that has been dear to my heart for a good few years now. The scope of the game is simple enough [don't they all start that way :B ?]: Provide the player with enough internal and external motivation to venture into an unknown world, blanketed in fog. The premise for the prototype should be also nice and simple: Your airship was blown off course, you have to return safely to home port and pick up lost crew members along the way.

Seeing as Stephen's game "Dirt" is a good starting point for this type of game, we hope to have iterations up relatively quickly and consistently.

Here are some images from the last few days :D

Stephen's first map mockup using tweaked assets from "Furious Tactics"
    [​IMG]

2 days later I made a quick boardgame mockup to simulate gameplay:
    [​IMG]

A little premature but I couldn't help myself: A logo
    [​IMG]

Aaaand most recently, we can now move around and uncover terrain in the prototype :B [You'll notice the airship from "Castle Conflict"]
    [​IMG]

2. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    You, Stephen from Broken Kings and an exploration game?

win-win-win can't wait for more information :eek:

e.g. release date ;)

3. BrokenKings

BrokenKings Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    #3 BrokenKings, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Release date is as yet unset! We are hoping June but guys, neither of us are able to work on this full time so it's subject to the amount of time our money-making contracts take. :(

We're planning on doing tiered releases though so the first release will come out as soon as we feel we have something playable, probably just one or two levels, so we're looking at pricing options to make this fair to users. It will also allow us to get feedback really early in the development cycle!

Sean and I are spending a bit of time on this today, here is a screenshot with some of Seans new art!

[​IMG]

4. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Since that last update, the game has progressed and we feel that the old art style didn't intrigue as much as we intended, so today Sean got some new art in the game :)

[​IMG]

Much more interesting methinks :D

5. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    It's been a while since we've posted in here - truthfully this game is going somewhat slow because it is a side project and not a main project :( But the good news is in the previous while, we've made some pretty progress, so you guys get some pretty screenshots!

Game Start:
    [​IMG]

In-Game now looks better and has particles!
    [​IMG]

Game events!
    [​IMG]

Collecting new crew members!
    [​IMG]

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm really liking the looks of this so far. Have you considered getting funding from sources like Kickstarter?

7. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    That would be nice - we probably should look into it actually :D hadn't actually thought of that.