Universal Dragon Quest VIII (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Don't forget Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light. So 7 ;)

2. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    No man, it really was just an extremely creepy comment.

3. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well it may have been a little out of place, but it made me laugh nevertheless. So rather than get into a pointless back and forth argument, lets just agree to disagree eh?

4. digits

digits Member

Dec 3, 2008
    The really creepy ones are the ones who wear the shirt that says (in Japanese) "Looking for a Japanese girlfriend (日本人彼女を募集中)" Gotta be careful of those :D

Anyways, back on topic, I noticed the app description says that iCloud saves, better quick saving, and better compatibility with iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad mini are coming in a future update. Excited about the iCloud saves - being able to play on my iPhone and then my wife's iPad Air would epic.

I noticed that the Android version on the Japanese Play Store has no reviews, and shows 10,000 - 50,000 downloads. The iOS version has a lot of reviews and I'm assuming more downloads? I'm guessing that based on the popularity of the iPhone (takes up 7 of the top 10 best selling slots in smartphone sales), it's doing better on the App Store than Google Play. Just an interesting side note.

Gameplay wise, the game is starting to open up and while the battles are still annoying, they're a little less painful given that i actually feel a little more powerful. As a DQ fan, it's nice seeing those DQ enemies fully animated on your phone.

5. Dr. Woodenstein

Dr. Woodenstein Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I'm totally jealous of you and everyone else here that can read Japanese and thus actually play it. I just don't feel right paying 2,800 yen for a game I can't read.

6. smashfreak137

smashfreak137 Member

Dec 5, 2013
    im playing it on my iphone5, but the framerate is not to my liking. i actually dropped it when i saw the fps. how noticeable is the weird performance on the title-screen cinema, and when u enter the first town?

7. Spid3r

Spid3r Active Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    Russia, Moscow
    Only japanese language? -__-

8. digits

digits Member

Dec 3, 2008
    On an iPhone 5S, the opening animation is noticeably not smooth. They said they are gonna try to improve performance in an update so hopefully it'll be better. I suspect it has to do with using the Unity engine for cross platform (and ease of development)

Yeah it's Japanese only right now. You'd think an English localization is in the works since they have western ps2 release already but who knows...

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #49 Vovin, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    WOOOAH. This just came in on the vgleaks website!!:

These should be good news.

source: http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-dragon-quest-i-dragon-quest-viii-for-iosandroid-headed-to-the-west/

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #50 Vovin, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Btw., did the game got pulled in the Japanese store? Can't find it there.

Nvm, found it.

11. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Yea I don't think they will bring it here, they bring it where the money is made not where people want it...
    looks like a great game but if we ever even get a slight chance I think it be a year or two before that even happens..
    Though I'd pay for it loved this game had it on most of my devices though the ps2 one was the best in my opinion:)

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Uhm... the Dragon Quest VIII version from the Japanese Appstore has, as mentioned above, alot of already translated text in it.
    I expect a western iOS release very, very soon.

13. craog.krieger

craog.krieger New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Is there any news about this?

14. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    DQ8 on my Note 2 would be the end of me. A meth pipe would be easier to put down. I hope it never gets translated, for the sake of all those souls who would otherwise be lost to such cravings.

I will keep my eye on this, but let's face it if it comes it comes. Now, if there was word of a straight up FFXII Zodiac port, I would get in a canoe and start paddling to wherever that was being worked on.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I am impatiently waiting for the english release... :)

16. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Still waiting. Any news out there?

17. craog.krieger

craog.krieger New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    How 'bout now?

18. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Still holding out hope

19. firestream

firestream Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Developer
    Yes, I would buy this in a heartbeat!

20. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    it would likely take less time to learn Japanese than to wait for the port.