Has an app icon ever affected you're decision?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dandarya, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dandarya

Dandarya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Student
    Playground in Skidrow
    In other words, have you ever not wanted to buy an app just because of how the icon looks?

As for myself I never was interested in buying Trucker's Delight because the icon just looks plain stupid :cool:..

2. J'Star

J'Star Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    App-forums.proboards.com
    Palm Beach Florida
    Haha, always.

Ive purchased games that I was waiting for, yet promptly deleted without trying. I hear weathered underground is good, I bought it, and immediately deleted because of the butt-ugly icon.

Glad to hear im not the only nut

3. chrisf82

chrisf82 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    4th year med student
    Tulsa
    I think it mainly makes me investigate an app more before buying. Usually I try and find a YouTube video to see if the ugly icon is a pure reflection of a crappy app or just an unfortunate oversight. It's hard to get over a bad first impression though.

4. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    YES. I will arrange my apps in a certain way JUST DEPENDING ON WHAT THE ICON LOOKS LIKE (except for some exceptions, like Enviro-Bear 2010 and Spider, which are so awesome they defy the rules and go straight to top.)

5. zoqi

zoqi Active Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I've bought an app more than once just because it had a great icon. So yes.

6. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    App icons are irrelevant to me, unless they look really ugly. I don't really care what they look like, as long as the app is good.
    But obviously when I'm looking in the App Store, I'm attracted to the apps with the better icons. When I find an app I like the look of, I pay no attention to the icon and just download it.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I just replace ugly icons with my own.

/win

8. Dandarya

Dandarya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Student
    Playground in Skidrow
    jailbroken?

9. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i like it when an icon looks good... not too bothered it it looks naff, as long as the app is good... but what annoys me is when the title under the icon is so long that it ends up with dots in it... for example.. Dungeon Hunter's title under the icon is 'dungeon....ter' or something like that... just plain LAZY !!!!!!

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You are the bees knees John.

P.S - I laugh when someone says they aren't buying a game because the icon is ugly. WTH?

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Good question but how know the answer? What's sure is that a bad icon won't stop me play or buy the game. But game graphics can increase my wish to buy a game.

For my iPad ordering it's purely functional, par genre, per favorite, per most played currently.

Games with a icon that attract my attention, good looking or bad looking have a bit more chance I pick then when I don't know much what to play and is browsing the iPad.

12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    +1, exactly what i do.

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #13 MasterChief3624, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    The original icon for Land Air Sea Warfare put me off immensely. Never mind the gameplay that I probably won't get sucked into. That icon was absolutely god-awful.

Actually, here's what I think got to me with that icon. I played a demo for iShoot (I think), and that had pretty much the same icon, yet I really hated that game. So seeing that icon (or a very similar one) on LASW left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Thankfully the new icon is much more inviting, and if I ever get into RTS games, I will be sure to pick it up without needing to worry about the ugly icon of yesteryear :cool:

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. Good thread topic. :D

I've looked over some games because of their icons. I figure - if they can't even make an attractive icon, they probably can't make an attractive game. And once I scroll to the screenshots, I'm usually right. But I have ran into a few surprises.

15. Entropic

Entropic Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah, if rRootage online wasn't free, I never would have downloaded it, because of the icon and splash screen.

16. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I've got a ton of negative feedback about our icon for 180

[​IMG]

which surprised me because I figured it properly appealed to the demographic. Ah well, live and learn. I tested so many things before releasing the app, but one of the most important ones slipped through the cracks! Anyway, we'll have a new icon up shortly (next week I hope!) No more girl, just the logo and maybe a gamepiece or something. I'll be sure to get feedback before submitting this time :)

Icon design is actually one of the hardest elements to nail in the whole process...! It's the very first thing much your potential audience will see, obviously.

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Sacrifice a good quality game based on an ugly icon? Doesn't matter to me personally what it looks like.
    But I do look for quality in an icon being that its usually the first thing I see. I usually go by a 3 point score system. Polish/Image/Name
    Usually if two+ of these get strikes then I move on.

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Short answer: yes.

19. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Sure, usually icons that have the app name on them or have black (transparent) backgrounds, although that's not such a big deal with backdrop wallpapers now.

Worst is when the icons in the AppStore don't match what shows up on the iDevice!

20. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Yes. It's like how I used to occasionally buy cds because of their covers. Sometimes the icon also blinds me to truth about the game. It took me a long time to realize that I really didn't like Eliss that much. I just liked having it's icon on my screen. Yep, I'm superficial like that. But I'm not alone by the looks of this thread.