Universal GHOST TRICK: Phantom Detective (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Tough call, because I really agree with both your and their points.

2. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Just finished the game, and it was AWESOME!!
    Really explosive ending!

3. Synthesyze

Synthesyze Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Honestly, after I played the DS version (assuming the iOS is a carbon copy), it deserves around an 8/10.

It's got a strong enough story to make things enjoyable, and the puzzles are interesting.

What keeps it from getting higher score is the lack of difficulty in the puzzles, and after a while, you notice that the puzzles aren't innovative as you originally thought.

Personally, the first and third PW games are of 9/10 caliber. The others aren't as strong, but certainly great games.

4. lostxii

lostxii New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    This is how I felt. There were really only a couple of puzzles that presented an interesting challenge.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Never played the DS version so I downloaded it to try. Not sure what the rest of the chapters are like but I found the first two very easy. Now I know most games start off easy and work their way up but from the sounds of things there isn't much challenge to this.

The idea is cool an the story is mildly interesting but I just don't know if it is worth $10. I feel I could have this beat in a really short amount of time and once it is beat there is likely zero reason to play it again. At least in Phoenix Wright even though you know exactly what to do you get to read all the witty humor all over again, in this I found most of the dialog a bore and I just kept mashing to push the conversations along.

So does this pick up? Do chapters get progressively longer? About how long to finish the full game? Any reason to want to play it a second time?

6. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Yes it picks up, and the difficulty really ramps up. The chapters don't really get longer but if you're stuck on a puzzle they can take a while. I spent about 15 hours beating the game. If you play it a second time, it would probably have to be a few months later, when you've forgotten a few things.

7. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    The opposite kind of happened here, though. If you read the review and the reviewer's comments below it, you'll see that the 4/5 rating is because she thinks the volume of text COULD be a turn-off to others. I'm used to review scores being based on the author's personal opinion--it's because I usually trust those opinions that I bother visiting review sites. It seems like in this case the reviewer doesn't trust her own opinion, and that's disconcerting.

I think the score is reasonable (though I'd rate the game higher myself, it isn't unexpected), but as I've said in the comments I'm really bothered by why it was given.

8. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    This game is really fun, even while i'm just at chapter 2 :)

9. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    im at chapter 14 how do i slow down the weird pamplet boy he keeps jumping on the seesaw before i can get the umbrella open

10. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Deter the boy from jumping by
    keeping him on the rotating earth a little longer

11. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Congratulations !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[size=+3]GHOST TRICK: PHANTOM DETECTIVE[/size]

[size=+2]Touch Arcade Forums
    Game of the Week
    01/02/2012
    [/size]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]Thanks a lot for your votes![/size]

Check out this week's new releases
    [thread=118476]HERE[/thread]

Start nominating your 08022012 TAGOTW
    [thread=122060]HERE[/thread]

Browse and visit TAGOTW Hall of Fame and Archives
    [thread=119439]HERE[/thread]

- DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AGAIN -

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I know I'm late to the game, but I'm really really loving this one. The art, story, the whole package is really intriguing. I'm still in the first chapter and still considering purchasing the rest of the game. Worth it?

13. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    One word: absolutely. Make sure you get the 9.99 one not the 4.99.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    What are the differences?

15. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    It's just that there are 3 chapter packs for $5 each, or the whole game for $10.

Once you reach a certain point, there's no way you're putting this game down, so you'd be out an extra $5 :)

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #196 Cilo, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Ah k that makes sense, thanks for the tip! :D I think I'll hold off on buying this until after the weekend in case capcom suddenly drops the price for valentines.

17. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, never say never. I think it's possible to make a sequel, maybe with a brand-new storyline? But okay, not every great game needs a sequel...
    Finished the game yesterday. To me, it's surely one of the best 10 iOS games. I can't help myself, the TA rating - even though it's 4/5 - doesn't do the game justice.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #198 your personal robot, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Just finished the game. Brilliant! Once of the best adventure games, I've ever played. Never gets frustrating, bursts of creativity and the presentation is just stunning.

Two minor cons: The game takes you by the hand a tad too much. It always feels like it needs to explain everything twice or even more, like talking to a 6 year old. And secondly: every single of my friends is laughing about the "sperm" when seeing the blue flame ;)

But besides that, it was a fantastic ride. For me, an instant-classic!

19. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I just beat it! Yep it was a nice turn of events. :)
    I think a sequel should be in order perhaps not with the same characters...

Still not worth 9.99 IMHO since there's NO replay value at all!
    4.99 FO SHO!:D

20. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I think I am getting close to the end, and I am LOVING it so far. I would be dropping $10 on games like this all day long if they kept coming out.