Smarter spambots

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by saansilt, Oct 3, 2013.

1. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The spam is getting smarter, how does this bode for the future of the spam war?
    Like the now deleted "joke". It almost seemed like a legitamate, yet stupid, post.
    I only knew because of the links being highlighted red.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well thanks for reporting it as not everyone does.

Most spam is the same, some stupid sentence which they use and then they go into the post to modify it.

We do try and delete spam as soon as we can, think overall it hasnt been too bad compared to previous years (Last year there was tons of NFL spam throughout the season, remember some spammers had 21 posts etc).

Makes me laugh when people reply to it or think its a legitimate post !

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I didn't think it was very smart. It had three glaringly obvious lines of red text linking to spammy websites.

Only reason I ignored it was to see if anyone else would enjoy the joke.

4. Yes...smart spam bots...like that one which said you shouldn't pirate movies before posting links to watch movies illegally...very smart spam bots

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    What I am saying is that they are actually trying to hide behind seemingly legitamate posts.
    Yes it had a bunch of red words, but the fact that is wasn't just blaring out a url means that these things are getting better.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    They're getting worse if you ask me. The good ones repeat existing posts from earlier in the thread and don't have any visible links. I've fallen for a couple of those. This was obvious within a second of seeing it.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
  9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The trick is to quote a strange post as that sometimes reveals hidden urls etc. often a post with lots of smilies are quite suspicious