iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 100hugo

100hugo Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #2721 100hugo, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    im getting a $30 iTunes card, should I get all the quest expansions, secret o mana and some expansions or secret of mana chrono trigger and some expansions? Which expansions are the best one that I should I get?
    P.s. are there any other free expansions other than lost archipelagos? I not then when will there be?

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you get The Quest Gold only Celtic Rift and/or Cursed Chess Set are expansions for lower level characters so the others could wait until you've played for a while. Gold plus either or one of those should keep you busy.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I decided to start over and I'm thinking about getting one of the two expansions you mentioned for low level characters. Which one would you suggest, the Celtic theme looks interesting but I'll pick the one with the most content or best story.

4. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Not sure which one has the most content, but I am partial to Cursed Chess, mostly because of the strange and surreal story. Celtic Rift is pretty good too though, from what I have seen of it. Ut maybe a bit closer to The Quest (the first one) in terms of it being a little more traditional fantasy fare. If you are interested in Authurian lore though, it would be a better choice for you.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think Celtic Rift and Cursed Chess Set are fairly comparable in terms of content but I agree with Medianotzu that CCS has a more interesting gothic arcane surrealism.

Celtic Rift is the first installment in a series of ethnic mythos based expansions and there is a follow-up coming emphasizing chinese mythology that should follow in terms of recommended level/difficulty. I've heard recommendations you start a new character for the newer ethnic expansion stream although it doesn't necessarily matter.

6. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks.

Any tips for a beginner? My character is a battlemage but I'm at a point where I'm getting killed quickly and have little money for new equipment.

7. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    I thought I would have to do that, but I've already spent some money and time on the original quest. But it sounds better gettin them discounted than paying $30

8. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Alright so apparently I'm either terrible, not playing the game right or I'm taking on areas I shouldn't be at yet. I purchased the Chess Expansion, forgot the name just got it as it is recommended for new characters, started a new chacacter who is a two handed fighter. I did the first part getting out of prison and meeting the King but if I enter any areas in this underground place I get owned, if I leave and go out side I often run into enemies that kill me in two hits. And this says it is for beginners. :(

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Make sure to enable the expansion in the core game that way you can start at that introductory point for early experience if you'Re finding CCS to hard. It's not a cakewalk but can be done.

10. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I purchased it and enabled it in the Quest Gold, played doing a few quests in the main story the hoped on the boat for the expansion.

How do enemies level, with you or per region?

11. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    What would be the best expansion?

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Each enemy type has a common power spec and enemies of one type tend to flock in certain areas. Enemy ability does not arbitrarily match your character's level.

Not sure what the best expansion would be since I haven't played a lot of them... but they are graded by experience level so I'd start with those expansions close to your level. Each seems to have a decisive theme (science fiction, ethnic mythology, etc...) The Quest Expansion Info

13. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    Yeah I'm just gonna get the One closest to my level

14. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #2734 Catacomber, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    Having made them, of course I couldn't release them without playing them myself and being happy with them---my favorites are HOLV (very high level and hard) and Mithril Horde and Mithril Horde II and Celtic Rift and Celtic Queen (being tested). But you should definitely get the one closest to your level.

However, when playing as a Nogur I have always been a fan of mark and recall and take em down little by little and run as fast as you can. :)

We're testing Celtic Queen now which will be after Rift I and we're thinking about a high level Celtic to follow Queen and then the Chinese and Mayan expansions.

If you are getting owned and you're not too far off from the level, you should really work with enchanting and beef up your weaknesses that way and use long-range weapons---bows are your friends. Old Shaman made me leave a lot of arrows around because that is his specialty---it should be yours too. : )

15. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Love the quest and it's expansions. It seems like this game is draining my battery pretty quickly - ?? I have an iphone 4s and it seems like for the simplicity of the graphics etc, that this game should be pretty light on the battery. ???

16. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    So many expansions.......

Hey everyone. I just wanted to know if there was a recommended order to play all the expansion packs in. I'm just starting The Quest and with 13 expansions currently on the app store, I am amazed and overwhelmed. Anyways I want to play through all of them with one character and have a challenge the entire time. So I don't want to skip a low level expansion only to come back to it at level 70 or something. I appreciate all the advice you guys can give me.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Quest expansion order guide. Start out with Cursed Chess Set or Celtic Rift because those are designed for lower level. Also for initial purchase get The Quest Good since it includes some expansions economically.

18. donner

donner Well-Known Member

What's the average play time (hours) for the expansions?

19. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Around 10 hours each.

20. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the resource. I'm rather ashamed to admit it but actually I purchased The Quest (along with Islands of Ice & Fire) way back in 09, before The Quest Gold was even available I believe. Haha there's a lot of catching up to do.