iPad Bug Heroes Quest by Foursaken Media -- casual action/adventure/RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    AGGGHH!! I need to get this!!! I'm on my iPod and I have no space... Grrr...

2. Jellowpy

Jellowpy Active Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Really enjoying the game :D
    Spider is already lvl 34 while ant and beetle is at less than lvl 20:p
    Playing it on my ipad2 will also download it later on my iphone4 for more bug hero goodness on the go :cool:

3. dragonheart

dragonheart Active Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Must be real bad seeing everyone able to play the game when you can't, lol

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

There are resistance fighters of all bug clans... the largest majority of course being ants, but in the same way you'll find all different species of bug heroes, there are indeed pockets of flea resistance, etc. In Spider's third mission for ex, the assassin specifically states their is a resistance flea camp up north ;)

As for the enemy spawning, it makes about as much sense as random battles in most RPGs/action/RPGs :p I know some people will want less enemies that are stronger, but we wanted to keep the action tight since individually, missions are only 2-5 minutes each... and enemy strength is a key part in the different heroes. I'd rather err on the side of too many enemies then too few, personally. Its also part of the key of making sure you find weapon upgrades and up your damage... pretty soon you'll be one shotting lesser enemies like little wusses.

But again, we are listening to criticisms and we'll do everything we can to appease as many people as we can :)

5. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #105 eev, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    thanks, should read more carefully. :rolleyes:

well, more like in jrpgs. but the point is not only the spawning but appearing basically just in front of the hero, unless it's explained somewhere that bugs has such technologies. that's why i wrote with respect to the game world. :)

i understand your point, thanks for the answer. it makes game more like dual stick shooter, however of course it's the matter of the game design.

6. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Hey sometimes I see a little icon next to the treasure chest on the level select screen that looks like a bug. What is it?

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

I'll see about setting up a minimum spawn distance, so enemies are less likely to spawn right near your hero without warning ;)

8. lebeanz

lebeanz New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Loving the game, just gutted to be at work and not able to play it!

Agree though that something should be done with the map, especially with the ipad where the button is quite a long way away (a problem for me when attacked while the map is out, want to get rid of it quickly). Maybe a solution is to pause when the map comes up, and then next time you move/attack it goes transparent and the game continues so you have the option. Also how about tapping anywhere on screen to get rid of the map to avoid getting attacked while moving to the map button?

Agree on the point about talking to characters mid fight too. Maybe make it so that once you have spoken to them you have to tap them to speak to them again (until they have something new to say)??

Great work though, thanks

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

It is explained when you first talk to a Skill Master ;) But it is an icon for levels that have a Skill Master in it... if its unlit, then you haven't found the Skill Master in that level yet. If you don't know what Skill Masters are, you'll learn soon enough when you find the first (readily available) one ;) Some levels (like Spider's lvl 3), you'll probably have to go back and find the Skill Master after you're stronger.
    Awesome constructive feedback, thanks :) And great ideas... I'll see what we can do. The NPC issue is a bit more tricky, as tapping on the NPC for 2nd rounds of talking for ex is just unintuitive an not obvious... what we might see about doing is lowering the "talk range" of NPCs after you've talked to them once.

10. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Do you have to finish the game before you can enter the Colosseum?

Just finished the level where the three main characters meet. Spider, Beetle, and Ant. Worm makes a cameo in one of the earliest levels, and I can see from the achievements that you also get to play three more characters short term: Ladybug, Termite, and Hopper. I wonder if any of the others make a cameo too?

I love how they brought in the native bugs - totally fit into the storyline.

11. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

There are 4 Arenas/Coliseums total, which are unlocked at various times throughout the game.

12. Folgers66

Folgers66 Active Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Enjoying the game and just want to echo some of the requests from earlier:

Increasing the spawn range "comfort zone" would be very helpful

Decresing the NPC talk range after you've already spoken would be great (that gets very annoying)

Providing some sort of solution for the (often) instance of fighting blind behind objects

For the map, I'd recommend a small map for a top corner that helps you track and then the large map which pauses the game which would help you plan. I feel like this would be the best of both worlds.

I'm stuck on one level right now, but the game is fun enough that I keep coming back for more (punishment).

Keep up the great work!

13. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Foursaken,

Any chance you can make the map a bit more transparent when moving around? Maybe more like the map in Solomon's Keep? Not sure if it would really work, as that game is more about corridors and this one is more 'open,' but I like having the map open when walking around and it's just a tad bit too distracting right now. It's almost an optical illusion, which is cool since I can look at the map and then return to fighting with it overlayed, but I need to see what I'm fighting a little more clearly.

14. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Wonderful music btw. Nice variety.

15. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

We'll work on getting the map better ;) Thanks guys.

Also I'm curious about peoples' thoughts on the music (though it has iPod playlist support, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal as Gabrien mentioned). There are a few tracks for each hero, depending on which hero you are playing as (Ant songs are more mechy, spiders more oriental, and beetles more "hard"), and we got a lot of positive pre-release feedback on the music. Thoughts?

Also in terms of balance, is anyone "stuck" on a level or having difficulty in any particular area? There were a few levels that we anticipated might be a pretty good challenge, but they were fun so we left them as is.

edit: haha, Oxynidus is a mind reader (re: music)

16. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    And I'm not just sayin it cuz I love the game. I take soundtracks very seriously. Heck, I even blame the success of Angry Birds on the first impression given by the main menu music. :D

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    How much space do I need to install this?! I have 335mb free and it's still not enough... :/

EDIT: Now I have 550mb free let's see how this works...

18. SuRfPiG

SuRfPiG Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    I haven't really paid attention to the music yet. More focused on the story/ trying to get spiders lightsabers lol. Anyone have them yet?

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    beetle mission where they capture him is actually too much action like, there are dozens of enemies, also ranged ones. and there is just like no possibility to stop and look at the map, because of so much action. it seems to me or speed of movement of some bugs is increased, compared with original bug heroes?

20. Folgers66

Folgers66 Active Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah, third Beetle stage is very tough to get through on your first few tries. Too much going on at once.