Do you think it's possible for Square Enix to port FF7?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by nkflier23, Mar 13, 2010.

1. nkflier23

nkflier23 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Since they ported 1 and 2, even though they aren't as large as 7 would be

2. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

3. Deadpoolite

Deadpoolite Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I think sony has some control over FF7. I wouldn't expect to see Cloud on anything but a Sony system.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Technically possible, yes. From a graphical standpoint, FF7 has lower character polygon counts than most iPhone games and all the FMV could easily be compressed using h.264 instead of the ancient PSone video formats that hogged most of the disc.

Hell, you can already run the game using emulators via jailbreak. It just runs shitty-

From a licensing standpoint, it's unlikely we'll ever see FF7 on a non-Sony platform for a very, very long time.

5. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Yeah, my same thoughts, it's possible to do but not likely to occur

6. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Wasn't therea PC version of FFVII? Couldn't they port that?

It was the same with Rayman where they ported the PC version instead of any of the console releases.

7. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Not possible

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, you put it in bold, so it must be true.:rolleyes:

Hoddap got it right: technically possible, but highly unlikely. Keep in mind that FF7 has not been officially ported to any platform (besides Windows back in '98). An actual, updated port (like FF 1 & 2) would most likely appear first on the PS3 or PSP.

9. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Almost impossible not due to technical problems, but due to licensing and rights issues and whatnot.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Like Street Fighter IV not being possible? ;)

11. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Can't they port the PC version? Sony can't control that being released on other devices, right? Although you would never see EverQuest ported to iPhone or anything because Sony does own that.... EQ on the iPhone would be amazing actually..

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Depends on the nature of the original license -- porting it to the PC might have been an exception.

Think about it, though. If SE is going to make a deal with Sony to port FF7 to another platform, do you think it's going to be for one with a top unit price of $9.99? They could easily charge $30-$40 for a DS version.

13. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    As many have already mentioned, it is 'technically' possible, but not likely to happen anytime soon. As for the PC version, maybe SquareEnix (or Squaresoft as they were at the time) and Sony maybe had some sort of agreement to to allow the PC version seen as how the PC wasn't seen as a 'direct' competitor to the PS1.

It's a nice thought, and I have debated about downloading it on PSN for my PSP, but I can't really be bothered to dig my PSP out (if I can actually find it at all). To be honest, I'd much rather SquareEnix develop that old PS3 tech demo into a full remake!

14. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Technically it's possible, iPhone is just THAT little close to match the PSP on paper. If FF7 can be run flawlessly on PSP, I'm sure SE can do it on iPhone. Worst case senario, they can always scale down a little bit, consider ravensword has no problem rendering the 3D world.

15. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    You got a point sir. Maybe it is possible to have FFVII on the iPhone........ with 80% less content, less than appropriate controls, crappy FMV's for animations, and sprites instead of 3D characters.

Son, I'm disappoint.

16. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Wow. You can see into the past. That magical ability is great. It's been out on psn for ages... I'm playing through it on psp right now. And it's not as good as everyone says it is anyways.

17. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    FF7 for the iPad! I would pay any amount :D

18. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    It can be done. The only thing standing in the way is Square-Enix.

19. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    Well, I read on CNET they officially ported the unreal engine to the iphone, keeping 90% percent of the code in it. While that is unrelated, it shows it is certainly possible, but whether or not they will is up to whoever owns the rights.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I know that FF7 is on PSN. In fact, I own it. I don't count that as a port, since it's running on an emulator (that would be like saying that FF7 had been ported to the Mac because it runs on a PSX emulator). A true port would at least upgrade the resolution to match the system -- something that the PSOne Classics fail to do. To make this point even clearer: FF1 and FF2 on the PSP are ports; FF7 as a PSOne Classic isn't.

@Omega-F: I actually agree that SFIV is a bad example, since the iPhone version doesn't include all the content of the console version. Then again, SFIV is an XBox 360/PS3 game; you wouldn't expect it be fully ported to any portable platform.

But the idea that iPhone/iPod Touch can't handle FF7 is pernicious nonsense; FF7 wasn't even that advanced when it came out originally, as it used pre-rendered environments and low-poligon (and crudely animated) 3D characters. Driver and Rayman II have much more sophisticated graphics than FF7, and both have been ported (in enhanced form) to the iDevice. The issue with FF7 is the amount of content -- over a 1 Gb worth. The fact that it came in 3 CDs in the PSX version and 4 in the Windows version, however, suggests that it could broken up into multiple parts for an App Store release. As far as controls are concerned, it's a turn based RPG, not a twitchy platformer -- I would suggest that it could be easier to use on a touch screen than with console controlers.

This is all moot, of course: as has been said time and time again, there little chance that SE is bringing it to the iPhone.