Hello, community...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by matthewc, Mar 24, 2009.

1. matthewc

matthewc New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hey there,

I've recently made the decision to start fooling around with developing games for the iPhone. I used to want to program games for a living when I was younger and taught myself some C++ back in the day, but am not too knowledged in the world of code these days. I've recently started working with GameSalad to create games, as I've got a few simple game ideas I think I could do relatively easy. I've got a normal job right now, and am starting to devote more time to just figuring this stuff out. I'm more dabbling than anything right now but am very interested in learning more about programming and designing some good but not too complex games. Anyone else using GameSalad? Anyone learning to develop for the iPhone from the ground up? Either way, hello and I'm looking forward to chatting more about game development with your REAL game developers.

Matthew

2. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Hows it going, welcome. I'm the Artist for BitCaper so I can't help you in the programming department except that I know you need to know Objective-C and Cocoa. I'm sure the other Dev's on here will give you some advice though. Welcome to TA.

3. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was checking out that GameSalad program - it actually looks quite interesting. Are the iPhone version of the games native, or do they require the iPhone browser? Also, are you aware of any iPhone games that have been released using the product yet? The fact that it's still headlined as Beta is an obvious red flag for "not ready for primetime yet".

5. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    sup, i started using gamesalad about 3 weeks ago, i made D.R.F.T., the drifting game.just here to say that gamesalad is really easy to use and it is also fun, yet challenging enough to really make you want to create something worthwhile:rolleyes: hit me up for some help!

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the input. So is your game complete? Have you submitted it to the store yet? I'd love to be able to see some Game Salad games in action on my iPod.

7. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    #7 ktfright, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    the whole gamesalad thing is still in beta:(, so i cant port to iphone yet... but if you have a mac and gamesalad plugin, you can play the beta version online. at this point i have the core gameplay down, now i need someone who knows how to draw tracks... its a 2d top down drift game(looks like old GTA)

8. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    oh yeah, anyone know how to properly add image to forum post? idk if i did it right.[​IMG]

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    See, that's what I was afraid of. Personally, if I had a Mac at this point I think I'd tackle the "learning iPhone development from scratch" route simply because I'd want the ability to publish my game when I was done with it. Having to wait for a program like Game Salad to come out of beta would drive me nuts. Have they given any ETA as to when Game Salad will be "production ready"?

10. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    all i know is it is really soon