3DMark iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Cybermancer, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Active Member

Aug 10, 2013
    #1 Cybermancer, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    So, since I'm a huge fan of 3DMark on the PC I'm kind of excited to see 3DMark coming to iOS, too.

The latest update regarding its release can be found here in the Futuremark forum: http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?175924-Any-word-on-the-iOS-version

Apparently, the app was already approved by Apple but Futuremark "decided to makes some further changes and improvements and will have to put it through the review process again. With many staff on holiday for most of July, I expect we are looking at an August release."

What are your thoughts regarding the upcoming release for 3DMark on iOS?

I'm also kind of surprised that there wasn't any article on Toucharcade mentioning 3DMark for iOS so far...

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I... What's the point?

iOS isn't an environment particularly dominated by devices assembled in any one of an unlimited possibilities. One iPhone 5 won't be different from another iPhone 5.

3. Cybermancer

Aug 10, 2013
    That's definitely a good point. Maybe we should ask Futuremark why they're releasing 3DMark for iOS then. lol

I just like the idea of being able to compare my iDevice's score with not only others of the same kind but with any other iDevice generation and/or any other Android phone/tablet.

I guess that's also the reason why there are other benchmarking apps like GLBenchmark, PaWaMark, Geekbench, etc. available in the AppStore.

I also would like to find out what my score is on a freshly rebooted device, how my score is influenced by how many apps are running in the background, etc.

4. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm pretty excited about it too.

I was a bit of a benchmark/tweak geek back in the day of 3dmark 2000, 2001.

I ran it on my HTC One and found myself killing/disabling services just to get it to run a few more points. :)

5. Cybermancer

Aug 10, 2013
    That's the spirit, fury! ;-)

Here are the minimum system requirements for 3DMark on iOS as reported by TweakPC, btw:

"OS: iOS 5.0
    iPhone: iPhone 4
    iPad: iPad 2
    iPod: 5th generation iPod touch
    Space: 300 MB"

(source: http://www.tweakpc.de/news/26757/3dmark-die-minimalen-system-anforderungen-fuer-ios/)

6. FM_kingkatt

FM_kingkatt Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Futuremark Games Studio Marketing and Community Ma
    Finland
  7. Cybermancer

Aug 10, 2013
    #7 Cybermancer, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, FM_kingkatt!

Unfortunately my ISP had an outage in my service area so even though I knew it was out, I couldn't download it! Talk about a tease! lol

Anyway. I just downloaded it and ran it for the first time. On my iPad mini I got 2838 points on iOS 6.

I'll definitely play with it some more and also run it on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. :-D

It's looking like a great addition to the 3DMark series and like a great port! Thanks, Futuremark!

8. FM_kingkatt

FM_kingkatt Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Futuremark Games Studio Marketing and Community Ma
    Finland
    Glad you are having fun with it. It might not be as relevant for this forum, but you can compare 3DMark scores from iOS and Android, and even with Windows and Windows RT. We can't wait to see how the new iPhones stack up.