Vertical vs. Horizontal Shmups/STG...which do you like better?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Vertical Shmup or Horizontal Shmup

1. Vertical shmup ex. Sky Force 2014, Raiden, Dodonpachi

76.2%
  2. Horizontal shmup ex. Sine Mora, Dariusburst, Death Smiles

23.8%
  1. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Which do you prefer overall to play for Shmups/STG games. Vertical shooters like Raiden, Sky Force, Phoenix, Galaga, Galaxian, Dodonpachi, etc. or do you prefer horizontal shooters like Sine Mora, Dariusburst, Defender, Gradius, Death Smiles, Vritra, Toon Shooters etc.

Thoughts? Discuss....vertical shmups versus horizontal shmups on iOS. :D

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #2 Guise, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    I prefer vertical shmups. Portriait orientation feels natural and more comfortable to me.
    The biggest reason, though, is that controls for vertical shmups have been perfected (relative touch) by games like rRootage, Phoenix HD, and Danmaku Unlimited 2. And while there are some horizontal shooters that have excellent control schemes, I'm never fully comfortable with them. Hard to explain. My thumbs either obscure some of the action on-screen or I'm forced to handle movement with less comfortable/confident digits.

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Pretty much what Guise said.
    I like horizontal with iCade (Defender is still my favourite shooter after 32 year) and Controllers though.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Vertical, for reasons more or less similar to Guise's. But im kinda sad that Phoenix HD isnt on the examples on the poll choices. :p

5. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm sorry. :eek:

I created the poll after the fact. If I could edit the poll I would add Phoenix HD. That being said I have Phoenix HD on all my idevices. :)

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    How does Defender play using the iCade? I had an iCade for a couple of hours before it crapped out and stopped working. :mad: I didn't play Defender using it.

I played the Raiden games and both R-Type and R-Type II using the iCade and they worked flawlessly using the iCade. Just wondering how good Defender is using the iCade. I love Defender such a great game. :D

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Honestly - absolutely perfect. On iMame, Gridlee or Midway Arcade all with iCade. The sounds, speed and difficulty still make it the best game I have ever played and probably ever will play.

8. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #8 7lilwhitewolf7, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Thiz iz where i miss Brother Connector. I the precision of iCade iz beautifully flawless for Shumps 7 Bullet Curtainz. Nice to see Vritra and Toon Shooters in your examples. ThnX for thiz thread. DariusBurst/Tengai!!!#

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Horizontal 'just' for me.

i LOVE my iCade, specially with Gridlee (MAME)

So many great shooters, the classic horizontal games like R-Type/Gradius and then the classic vertical shooters as well.

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Historically, I preferred horizontal. That said, vertical works much better on a touchscreen.

11. kwokx@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Definitely horizontal for me!

R-type, un-squadron, gradius and well.... Co-op Toonshooters 2 (coming soon) which I hope will prove my points ;D

Vertical shmups tend to be either the 1942 or bullet hell mould, theres usually no good use of terrain. Weapons and bosses tend to be symmetrical and bosses seem to be typically giant crabs that moves from side to side spraying bullet hell patterns.

Vertical shmups have a front, rear and sides. Horizontal shmups have ground, sky, front and rear. It also has gravity and interactive terrain and you have more possibilities and variety. I agree that vertical shmups are typically one handed control and more relaxing on a phone but I also think their stages are stretched out too long with little variation and your brain switches off (which is also relaxing)

12. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Hey Kwokx!

Just got thru postin about you. That iz one snazzy title page on your site. Super Stoked! Iz Kevin Macleod gonna suprize us wit another like Risky Woods?

13. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    This, definitely this. Before smartphone gaming, I would have said horizontal shmups without question - I barely paid attention to vertical scrollers. With a phone in my hand though, and specifically only in that situation, vertical just makes more sense. Sky Force Reloaded might be my GOTY.

With a tablet, just forget it! Too much real estate for touch controls. Maybe if I had an MFI controller, the side-scrollers would make more sense again.

As it is, I don't know how to answer the poll. Horizontal for me, every time - but not on iOS. And this is a Touch Arcade forum...