2D Game Engine

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dannys95, Feb 13, 2009.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #1 dannys95, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    Hey guys. As I have said I wish to become a dev. Problem is I don't have my Mac yet. So does anyone know a good 2D iPhone game engine for Windows? It does not need to be amazing; just somewhere to learn and practice coding. Thanks!

2. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Anyone? I was hoping to do some work tonight

3. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    There isn't much at the moment. There's Unity, which is a commercial engine and is geared toward 3D, although 2D is possible.

There's cocos2d, which looks like it runs on Windows as well as the iPhone:

http://cocos2d.org/download.html

The caveat with cocos2d is that it is based on Python, and the Cocos2D iphone version is based on Objective-C. But the main concepts behind cocos2d would carry over to the iphone version.

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If I understand correctly, you want an engine that will let you develop the game on Windows and then compile it to the iPhone, right? If that's the case, I don't think such a thing exists. The closest that I've heard of is something called Win Toolchain, which I believe is just a setup that will allow you to take gcc code and compile it to an iPhone Application. Unfortunately, these type of applications won't run on an actual iPhone unless it's jailbroken. As lithiastudios mentioned, your best bet is probably going to be the Unity Engine, though I don't know how compatible the Windows and iPhone versions are. Garage Games has a 2D development toolkit for the iPhone, but I believe it only runs on a Mac, and in that case I'm pretty sure the Windows and iPhone tools are not compatible. I've been itching to get into iPhone game development as well, but the sad reality is that it appears to be basically impossible unless you have a Mac. I hope someone will come along and prove this wrong, but I don't think it's going to happen.

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

You are trying to get him to try and learn Python, when he has no coding experience. Not a good idea. Danny, you may want to download some of these and the documentation and learn like that. You can write some sample code that you can carry over, but it isn't possible right now.

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Are you looking to learn coding in general, or specific to the iPhone? If you just need to get your feet wet in the realm of programming as a whole, I agree with brewstermax: the express versions of Visual Studio are a good place to start. You could also try this: http://www.yoyogames.com/make. It's a program called Game Maker. It's free (or at least used to be) and lets you create games just visually or with code if you choose to do so. I'd suggest using the "with code" option, since drag and drop development won't do you any good when you get to the iPhone.

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Just for kicks I decided to check out the Garage Games web site again (it's been a while), and I learned something quite interesting. Apparently their 2D product, Torque Game Builder (TGB), can create cross-platform output, including both Windows and iPhone! I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that, but you might want to check it out. They have a demo of TGB that you can play with as well.

8. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Thanks for all the help! But I give up on being a dev. I can't code for life. Thanks for helping anyways

9. brewstermax

Wow, do you give up on everything. You fail. At least try.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Personally, if he's willing to throw in the towel that quickly then it's probably best not to encourage him. He clearly doesn't really want to do this if he doesn't want to put in a little effort.

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #11 dannys95, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    When I get my Mac I might resume work. But if I tried the GamerMaker in simple mode and did not understand it much; I sort of give up don'tcha think? I'll try later when not in a rush

Read my above statement. I really do wish to do this; but I can't code for life. I'll try doing a eeenmachine like game (as in only SDK and PhotoShop) but it will take a while. If you wish to help me PM me any good books on the iPhone SDK or the language it uses. Thanks guys.

12. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Save up some money and hire a developer to make your game. Helps if you have a background in project management or software, but not required.

13. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    no thanks; i want to make the game myself. plus; my idea is for a 3d app later on when i learn coding. and a dev would charge me a lot since it would require some coding.

14. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Danny, if you're in school now, your best bet is to take some Computer Science or Programming classes. Don't feel bad that this is hard - pretty much nobody just picks up the SDK and has a game out immediately. This stuff really is hard. The vast majority of developers in the store have been programming for years. You hear that the iShoot developer didn't have previous Objective C experience, but he is a professional programmer. The language is not what matters here.

Bottom line - it's not about learning the SDK. It's about learning to program in general. Learning that does take time. Once you're proficient in C or C++, learning Objective C is easy. Take some classes at school or somewhere in your community, and be patient.

Good luck!

15. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    thanks natty. im not in school now; but i'm learning coding SLOWLY.

16. brewstermax

Well, then you will never learn. You have to learn basic concepts, then get the more complex parts. It's like a letter, point by point or block style. I have started to learn how to code. It isn't hard, but I have no intentions to make an iPhone game.

17. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    well.......i would love to make a pc or mac version first since it seems it is the best place to start. but i would not want it to be free....and then i would have to take care of the piracy and stuff.

but i could always make a simple one just to learn the basics. im just listening to u guys and hearing suggestions from devs. they help a lot.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "code for life", but how long did you spend with Game Maker? Most people need to spend a little bit of time with something before they fully grasp it. Or, maybe you should take brewstermax's advice and download one of the free visual studio express IDEs. Then, you might even need to write a couple of small programs that aren't games just to get used to writing programs. It will probably take a little time though. If you really want to do it, then put the time into it and do it. I don't think there's a whole lot more anyone else can tell you right now.

As for suggesting books specific to Objective-C and / or the iPhone SDK, I really can't help you there at the moment. I have a couple such books, but since I don't have a Mac yet I haven't been able to put them to the test to see if they are good. The reality, though, is that if you start to get the gist of programming in any particular environment, you should be able to make the jump to another environment without too many hassles.

19. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    i spent a few hours with game maker. its that i have never coded; so i need something to read or something cause otherwise this is all alien to me.

and by "cant code for life" i mean u can kill me; i cant code for my life.

20. Well, you'll have to decide for yourself if it is worth it or not. I would say that, if you have no experience as a coder, you should focus on learning basic programming first. If you are a student, take a class. If not, maybe you can go to a local community college? I learned in a class setting, and it was useful to have a teacher who could answer question or fix some of my problems.

It is possible to learn from a book, maybe more difficult, and you would have to accept that it will take a while. You'll probably have to approach it with the mindset that, "Ok, this is going to take me months to do, and it might not feel like I'm making much progress at first."

But you can do it.

Furthermore, it is a great skill to have. Once you learn to program, it is easier to change from one language to another. A lot of the concepts are the same. And it is also something that is good to have for your resume.