Kirin Wars Episode 1: Perilous Dawn by Zephyr Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Zephyr Games, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Zephyr Games

Zephyr Games Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    We develop independant games for the casual and mo
    New York, NY
    #1 Zephyr Games, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    "Kirin Wars Episode 1: Perilous Dawn" Is an upcoming Turn Based Strategy/RPG hybrid that is being produced and published internally by Zephyr Games, with the intention of launching during the holiday season of 2011. With great artwork, music by grammy winning Steve Horowitz, and revamped game mechanics based on old classics from the Sega Genesis and SNES era, we are really hoping that users will find Kirin Wars to be a solid investment.

[​IMG]

History:

The year is now 1598 AR. Humanity now stretches across the gate world of Kirin. On the eastern plains continent of Zareel, a once disparate and tribal people have rallied together under the banner of one of their mightiest kings, Garland. After many decades of war, Garland has finally completed his conquest of Zareel, uniting his people and driving back the Minos, Ashura, and even Sylphid from their lands. Peace has begun, and humanity begins to build on its gains.

But all is not well in the realm of Anorith. The king has been seen less and less frequently of late, and whispers grow of a silent hand moving the affairs of humanity. It is in this time that the lord prince of Anorith, Kael, will change the course of events for Anorith, and indeed Kirin itself.

Game Specs:

Created for the iPod Touch and iPhone, we will be doing a post-launch update in 2012 to give the app universal sizing. Also, with consideration to the episodic nature, a future app update will allow in-app purchasing of the subsequent episodes and content which will keep the entire storyline contained within a single app.

[​IMG]

If you're interested in learning more about Kirin Wars, you can visit the website for it to listen to music from the game, download wallpapers, see the latest screenshots, and even enjoy a great short comic that was created for the story by the incredibly talented Phillip Jackson of Jolly Jack's Collected Curios. Also, be sure to join up on Facebook to see new screenshots and get news updates as we close in on launch!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm loving the SRPG trend, this looks like a worthy game. Looking forward to the release. You've got my +/- ~$2.99. Keep us updated with developments.

3. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    So one thing we're really thinking about, and we'd love to hear your thoughts undead side of beef, is what pricing scheme do you guys feel makes the most sense. Let's say they are levels that take 20-45 minutes (depending of course) to complete, with you get them right the first time. If we're looking at 15 levels, with another 15-20 with each additional expansion. What pricing do YOU feel makes sense? $2.99 for the core purchase and .99 for each additional package? Or would you rather drop the price of the initial purchase to 1.99 and raise the per episode package price to 1.99 as well?

And by the way folks, let us know if there's anything else you'd love to see! Concept art perhaps? We're really looking for feedback as we march towards a Q4/holiday launch this year.

Best,

Ken
    Manning the Keyboard
    Zephyr Games

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I suggest a higher core game price and lower expansion level pack IAP pricing. I think people generally dislike IAPs and especially higher priced IAP material. Quality SRPG content is worth a higher initial core game price and I think gamers are willing to pay that. $1.99 for a level pack would feel like the cost of a whole new game.

5. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I would rather pay for the higher price up front, then pay as you go.

After looking at the pictures on your website, i like really the still portraits, but why have all of the characters remain faceless?

6. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    The characters are not faceless, but since there is something of an army feel we made the troops faceless. Attached are a few sample pieces of the artwork showing that idea, with the first two being characters with names and backstories, and the second two being the profile images for army units of certain types.

Attached Files:

7. doomedge

doomedge Member

Jul 31, 2011
    this looks interesting looking forward to the purchase:]

8. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks Doom!

Here is artwork on some of the characters to be found in the world of Kirin. Minister Faust, and Admiral Skaal.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

9. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    After a bit of a delay (We had a developer kind of fall apart on the project) we're back working on ironing out Kirin Wars and getting it ready to actually show. Attached are a number of screenshots from throughout the game showing various parts of gameplay and setup, with more coming as we push through the beta phases of the game.

Attached Files:

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Glad to see this is back on track, it's been on my list. Good luck, keep up updated.

11. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    Much appreciated undead, and we're anxious to wrap things up and get it out there as well. Will be making more regular updates and posts as possible!

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, it seems as if TBS games aren't super high up on the casual iOS gamer's to get list.

SRRN and Konami priced Ash II at Gold $5 for initial game and all future IAP; $3 for initial game, free 2nd chapter, and discounted rate on future IAP; and there's assumingly going to be a third tier that makes the IAP more expensive and a bit different from the second.

I'm not saying this should be your route, but it seems as if a lot of people liked this pricing method for the Ash II.

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about your game!

13. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    Very intriguing GoofyJ, thank you for the feedback!

What we were thinking was perhaps $1.99 entrance with 15 starting missions. Then between each IAP purchase release (with ~15-20 missions included for $.99) we would release a small ~5-10 mission pack as a free update that tells a side story about a character mentioned in the core storyline, but really only show up here or there and have intriguing stories to tell. That way essentially we would be projecting a total cost of ~$5 for the full game, with 3 small mission packages given away for free during the lifetime of the product.

Thoughts on that model?

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #14 GoofyJmaster., Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Yeah, I actually think that's a really good model. No one should be able to complain about that. Up to 35 TBS missions with a storyline for $2 is a steal. Then at a $1 for another up to 40 missions, you're just giving away the game. No strategy fans should be able to complain. Plus the game really looks good! The last set of pictures look awesome!

15. noayenl

noayenl New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I like this kind of game. I've just added it to my list. Hope to try it soon :).
    Thanks for the post.

16. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    Happy Friday everyone!

Starting next week we're going to be doing 3x a week content drops and posts on this thread posting screenshots, backstory, artwork, etc.

First though I just wanted to suggest you check out this excellent comic that Phil Jackson, of collected curious the webcomic, designed for Kirin Wars telling the story of a time before Episode One subtitled Sundered Ties. You can check it out via the following link to the game's website:

[​IMG]

Until next week, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to sharing more about the adventures of Kael and mysteries of Kirin with you all!

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    ^Nice! Judging by the mission count this is going to be a good and long story. The comic was awesome and I really liked the creature design. I'm betting you will have an avid supporter, me, once this releases.

18. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    #18 Zephyr Games, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Meet the Characters: Part 1

Lieutenant Galen:

A young and inexperienced commander, Galen has shown great promise and become the commander of Outpost Sojurn along the northern front. Galen and Kael become quick friends, and when the outpost is overrun by church forces Galen brings the remainder of his forces to Kael’s side. Fervent in his belief of the King and crown, Galen despises non-humans as much for the myths drawn around them as their actual misdeeds from the past.

A newly minted commander in the army of Anorith, Galen wears simple plate with his spaulder showing his rank. He uses a long sword as his weapon and follows Kael without question. He is not the brightest leader though and will brashly charge into combat before finding out the truth. In general he is quick to anger, quick to smile, and not a fantastic thinker but very handy with a blade and at leading his men.

[​IMG]

Architect Cog:
    A trusted architect in King Garland’s Engineers, Cog stumbles upon a plot by the church and flees to the northern border to warn Kael. Cog arrives too late however and leaves for the Northern Free States. While resting in an inn the city comes under attack by church forces and he encounters Kael. After assisting Kael in defeating the church forces, Cog lets Kael know of the deception, and joins up to return him to the throne.

Cog is young and inexperienced, and is almost never found without his tool belt, books on mechanics, or new creation. He takes his duties to the crown seriously though and is more than willing to strap on light leather armor and command his creations for Prince Kael. He has an easy going grin, and is very much a naive youth, although he has a strong sense of right and wrong.

[​IMG]

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the $1.99 followed by $0.99 IAP expansion packs is fair. Nice character previews, I am getting amped up for the release.

20. Zephyr Games

Aug 17, 2010
    New York, NY
    Meet the Characters: Part 2

Magister Amile:

Once King Garland’s court magician, Amile has served many leaders throughout his life. He instantly suspects The Imposter and flees the castle to reach his old comrade Bayard. Together they leave to secure the coastline for the Prince’s return, but become bogged down at Fort Cross.

Amile, is one of the eldest magisters in Anorith and joined King Garland only after the king bested him in a trivia match. His knowledge of lore and the ways of magic are considered legendary, and is well known to be a sleepy and happy old man until riled. His robes often trip him up and he can be found riding a mule or pony oftentimes into battle. When not bumbling though, Amile can level mountains with his magic, assuming he doesn't get tripped up or confused!

[​IMG]

Commander Bayard:
    An old and crusty general of the western states, Bayard becomes enmeshed in the civil war that springs up around him. Aided by an old friend, Magister Amile, Bayard leads his men west to secure the coastline. He and Amile are besieged at Fort Cross when Kael returns to Anorith. The years have dulled neither his skills nor his sword.

Bayard is one of the oldest remaining soldiers in the service of King Garland. He assisted in the actual liberation of the lands that would become Anorith, and has a very strong connection to both the nation as well as Kael and his father. This does not mean he agrees with the policies concerning non-humans however, and prefers an honorable fight to subterfuge and stealth. He wears ancient heavy plate armor and can be found sometimes dozing atop his charger before combat actually begins, his moustache bristling out from his helmet and Amile at his side with a nose in one of his tomes.

[​IMG]