iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mrpetrov

mrpetrov Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Hi all. Been playing this recently. Awesome, of course.

I recently got my new high score on normal while on the tube, but game center won't seem to update for my new high score when I got back into internet range. I've tried shutting down the device, restarting the apps, but nothing works. Any tips?

Thanks,
    Petrov.

2. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2242 eflin, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I found a bug which I emailed fireflame about... If you use hack and slash (via scrolls) in the middle of a gold combo (ie have treasure chamber active and use treasure and charge to get coins that then get you the scrolls) it fills the screen with random stuff not coins as it should since treasure chamber is still in effect. Hopefully he can fix that but for now I'm not trying to do that combo via scrolls anymore :- ) Not worth losing the two screens full of coins (one of which would be boosted by double coin).

That's happened to me before too but I never got the scores. It just happens unfortunately. Now if I'm ever doing a serious good run I wait to finish it until I'm home.

EDIT: To Doombot... Ah screw it... here's updated strategy... keep in mind this is meant to be basic strategy. I can clarify on more advanced stuff if you like.

First and foremost... the enemies exponentially scale while your abilities mostly linearly scale... so no matter what you do (except on easy) you WILL lose eventually. Further, special monsters appear more often the longer you last... further ensuring your demise. The difficulty levels just effect how soon this happens. So take advantage of the weaker enemies at the beginning and try to level up fast! To do this ALWAYS do the largest chain to clear as many tiles as possible. Don't just go for the skulls. Early on they shouldn't be able to kill you unless you aren't paying attention (and if you're clearing more tiles then more potions will fall to heal yourself back to full with when you chain potions). So chain the biggest chains and level up fast. This should apply until the enemies start getting a lot stronger. The only exception would be for specials. Kill specials as soon as you can (except for spikey but that's a more advanced topic). Don't let them stick around. You'll regret it. Use your special abilities to take them down immediately.

Now moving on... the key to surviving longer is having a good build for your character. This breaks down into five main factors.... class/race... perks... skills... equipment... and levels.

Class and Race: Can significantly change your play style. I view these as more advanced options and suggest all beginners stick with adventurer. It's much easier to get a grip on everything that way.

Perks: these are more for fine tuning your style once you become a more advanced player. You can mostly ignore them for now as a beginner.

That said... once you get into it... My favorite perks are the arrow one, the mana potion one, the special enemy appearing less one, and 4th skill cool down. They are by far the best IMO. For the flaws... can't attack enemies for first 5 turns and all enemies have +1 health are harmless... take those... then it depends a little on your build. -20% piercing... -10 health... -1 armor are safe choices... NEVER take specials appear one turn earlier (this kills you late game), -10% bonus shield chance (gimps your score a lot), chaining 3 tiles does nothing (gimps score), and the broken swords and shields one (gimps score and survivability)

Skills: for straight up survival I'd go with teleport and dazzle plus whatever you like after that. Teleport whenever you're in a jam and use dazzle to kill specials. For high scores you can research various builds on here but I'd go with the boost shield combo (boost shield, scavenge, and dazzle) with Slash or the gold combo (boost gold, treasure chamber, treasure) with Charge. They both give you ridiculous amounts of upgrades but I think the gold combo is the best choice (with the Sauren race might I add). Play around with skills though and figure out what works for you.

In general if you aren't using your skills frequently (except maybe teleport) then you aren't using them enough or you should be choosing another skill next time.

Avoid:
    *exorcism (you should kill specials with your other abilities or teleport away... this is just redundant and worse)
    *banish (see exorcism)
    *hack (trust me... hack and slash is underwhelming. Not worth two skill slots. It is fun to play around with once or twice though)
    *enchant (boost armor will get you upgrades faster if you're doing large chains like you want to)
    *earthquake (its useless)
    *rune (it just doesn't work well)
    *Wish (teleport is better... one use is just silly)...

Armor/Item Upgrades:

Avoid:
    * Health regen and spike damage. They dont scale well later in the game. By end game i often have a few points in both but that's mostly just when I get bad upgrades offered and they're the best option. Also a point or two in spikes can be nice for enemies you let linger on the bottom of the screen (I'm looking at you spikey)
    * Poison also shouldn't be taken too much because it only is maximized if the enemy survives 3 turns which mid game they wont anyway... and late game you won't want them too... But it can still be okay to take sometimes as it is 6 points of damage per upgrade if the guys last 3 turns.
    * Base damage is also just inferior to weapon damage so never take it unless you're stuck with worse options. Base damage is only better if you make a chain with no swords. With one swords base damage = weapon damage... with 2 swords it's worth 1/2... with 3 it's worth a 1/3... you get it....
    * Armor Piercing. Again you don't want enemies to survive and this is only beneficial if you are swinging at them numerous turns in a row. So taking this just to be a little better against high defense specials is likely not worth it.

Focus on: +UP, +XP , +GP, durability, blunting, quick (only once you actually get a good skill though. don't nab it if you have no abilities yet), defense or weapon damage, HP, and then base damage (in that order). If none are offered go for what you like (I lean towards strength and poison myself).

The only exceptions to the above are:
    1)Take a point or two of luck as soon as you can (whether by level or equipment upgrade). The extra HP per potion is essential
    2) If you're an elf getting ONE poison upgrade is also essential to activate your racial benefit.
    3) once you max out +GP,+XP,+UP replace them on the list with life leech. Life leech stinks early game (enemies don't have enough life for it to matter) but is essential in mid to late game and the timing usually works out pretty well if you start taking it once you max out the bonus chances.
    4) Consider taking strength, vitality, dexterity, and luck upgrades early game to boost your bonus chances. I often times do (but not ahead of blunting, durability, or +XP/GP/UP). Particularly focus on the one that boosts whatever build you're doing (if you're doing the armor or gold builds mentioned above)

Levels:

The best advice is take charisma every time you can as you want to get those bonus chances up fast. This will really help your score in the long run (and get you leveling faster). I only take skills I need for my build over it (and only if I don't have them... I take charisma over simply leveling one of them up). This is true until you max out ONE of your bonus chances as it starts getting less and less beneficial at that point. Once this happens focus on strength, vitality, dexterity, and luck to max out the remaining bonus chances.

Similarly... early game take strength as often as you can. The bonus XP chance means you will level faster and it boosts your damage +1. In fact early game the level up selection should be...

1) Take any abilities (charge, boost armor, dazzle) etc you need that you haven't unlocked yet
    2) Take charisma and/or strength
    3) If doing armor build take dexterity... if doing gold build take luck
    4) Take luck if you don't have atleast 2 or 3 points into it (you need the extra HP per potion)
    5) level up abilities you already unlocked
    6) take any remaining bonus chance stat upgrade (with vitality being the lowest priority)
    7) Take Damage, Life, or Defense

Mid/Late game that list changes a lot... but there's the first part of it.

See this for an interesting topic on how much repair you should be going for (which is what the defense upgrade enhances...) http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1717844&postcount=1773

Conclusions:

The idea is to max out your bonus chances as fast as possible so you level up faster moving forward. Blunting and durability really help you survive and aren't offered often so never pass them up. Quick is essential once you have your skills.

Finally the golden rule... this is all just advice so take it with a grain of salt. Everyone's play style is different so find what works for you and just have fun.

I hope that helps but like i said you can find a whole bunch of other ideas (some of which might fit your style better) in this thread!

3. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    $.99 sale in effect. Hope this is a "get the game cheap before we update" sale.

4. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    i totally thought this game was story based and was kinda never ending. But its just highscore based. I wouldnt of bought this if i took the time to research. anyway though im glad i could support the devs

5. acadianbunny

acadianbunny New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Best game, in progress - advice needed

Hi gang,

I'm having _by far_ my best game ever. I'm playing on Normal difficulty as a level 1 Sauren rogue. I have Enchant, Treasure, Treasure Chamber, Boost Gold. I'm looking for advice on what I should be upgrading and what I should pick on level ups, to try to maximize my end score.

For example, I'm guessing I should never take Charisma, as every bonus is at 100%. If I have a choice between health and vit, which do I take? Am I correct in always taking basedmg over str, as my bonus xp is already at 100%? Same for always taking defense over dexterity. I've been alternating damage increase and defense increase, is that wise? Am I at a point where I need to prefer one over the other?

What about upgrades? I'm taking regen over spikes, blunting whenever I can, repair whenever I can.

Is anything dangerously low? Like, 'omg increase your damage!', or 'you fool, you need more vitality!'

Level 84
    Str 48, base dmg 86, bonus XP 100%
    Dex 33, def per shield 89, bonus shield 100%
    Vit 12, max health 685, bonus potion 100%
    Luck 33, health per potion 33, bonus coin 100%
    weap dmg 79, armour piercing 90%
    def 212, armour durability 80%

Bascinet: 81 def, +2 gp, 8 spike, +10 regen
    Shroud: 70 def, +5 dex, 1 spike, +30% armour durability, 2 blunt, +1 regen
    Cutlass: 79 dmg, 5% leech, 8 poison, +40% pierce
    Aegis: 61 def, 0.25 UP
    Hoop: +520 hp, +22 str, +8 dex, +1 vit, +18 luck, quick, +24 regen

Score so far: 47441 (!!! previous best about 18k)

Thanks!

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    At this point, I'd prioritize stats in this way:

Luck (believe me, you will need the health. The game starts dropping down pieces in evil combinations so that even matching 3 potions is a miracle).
    Weapon damage (not base damage)
    Health

Those are the main three you want to focus on, in that order. For upgrades, definitely Weapon Damage, then Regen, then Health. Blunting probably won't help too much with the way the monsters start to scale up late game. You won't be able to outpace them.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    OMG, seriously, the Boosts are the single most important key to the game. Why aren't you taking Boost UP, Boost GP (especially with a Coin build), etc.? You can get 3x as many upgrades and item shops, essentially for free.

8. acadianbunny

acadianbunny New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Um... because I don't really know what I'm doing? :)

Seriously, I can't believe I've gotten this far, but really all I've been doing is matching the longest streak on the board (almost always), and using the treasure build to get mad items (usu. anchored on STR and weapon dmg). That's been the extent of my 'strategy'. Although I'm pretty sure I've been taking boost GP whenever I could - I take it only being up to 2 (8 upgrades) is unlucky?

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Sorry, I missed it in the list. Boost GP (and UP, XP) max out at +2.0 (8 upgrades). So you do have the max upgrade for boosting your coins. I would still take the other boosts when you can. Boost UP will quickly pay for itself in terms of generating more upgrades (you have to collect shields sometime!).

The other skill that's useful is life leech, along with weapon damage, these will eventually be the main thing keeping you alive. But if you want a huge score, the most important thing isn't which upgrades you take, but maximizing the use of your skills to collect lots and lots of doubled coins, this is where most of your points will come from.

10. acadianbunny

acadianbunny New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Out of curiosity, am I in the late-game yet? How many turns in do you switch from beginning-->mid-->late?

Thanks for the tips!

11. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2251 eflin, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    See my post here for generic advice. It is meant for early game on hard but the list does carry over well.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2170971&postcount=2239

Currently you are probably in the mid game on normal difficulty (you can go a reeeeaaaalllllly long time on normal) if your build is set up right. Not having all the upgrade boosters is a mistake though so you might not last as long as a result.

To help clarify... early game I define as the time it takes you to set up your combo and really get moving. On each difficulty there is an initial hurdle that once you get past you know you'll be going for a while. This part of the game mostly depends on luck and getting offered the right skills early. Otherwise you're better of restarting.

Mid game is when you're just cruising through your combo and leveling up so fast nothing can kill you unless you are really not paying attention. You just fly through this portion of the game (even though it takes hours sometimes) and wrack up points and upgrades because right now you should be leveling up faster than the enemies.

Late game is once enemies start to catch up to you (and then quickly surpass you). You have to start doing your combo less and less and focus more on surviving. You still try to fire off your combo whenever possible but you're really just trying to prolong the inevitable and tack on as many extra points as you can. This is the best part of the game but often only lasts 15-30 min.

As for what to prioritize now...

+XP, +UP, life leech, durability and blunting. Max those as fast as you can. While you cant techincially max the blunting it gets rarer and rarer for each point you get and you should be able to get a lot higher than what you have. The bonuses help you get more upgrades faster... life leech is essential in late game to replenish your life... durability and blunting make you last a lot longer.

For levels focus on defense until your armor per shield is about a third of your armor. With maxed out durability each point of armor is worth a lot more than HP. Then start alternating between HP and defense.

Damage is always good at that point in the game as you want to kill things as quick as possible and with life leech its the best way to boost your life each turn (more damage = more life gained). Strength is also good at this point for this reason but i tend to alternate it with luck if i dont get any of the ones I mentioned above.

Luck is next as the extra life per potion is nice but really you'll get more life off of life leech than potions by then so doing more damage is more important.

For armor shop visits take whichever gets you the most net upgrades regardless of what it is WITHOUT effecting +GP, durability, blunting, or life leech. focus on weapon damage over base damage though (see my previous post for more)

I hope that helps!

12. IceMeh

IceMeh New Member

May 3, 2012
    #2252 IceMeh, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Turns : 701
    XP : 20217
    GP : 7435
    UP : 5559
    Score : 37912

=)
    Stats as shown in picture, however sad me, didnt get any throphy

For the start, i keep taking base damage and armor.
    For the race that i choose, 15+ monster give me extra armor.
    So i use another skill turn sword > coin
    Then i turn coin > monster
    My base damage is always high enough to kill all without any sword.
    This boost my exp alot so thats the reason y my XP score so high, so i keep doing this combo
    Adding damage and luk
    Armor is free for me as long as i kill 15+ monster in a turn.
    Thats my strategy!

13. Hi all, I've just picked up this game and have a couple of questions as I can't track down a noobs guide.

I'm reading this post; http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2170971&postcount=2239 (thanks Elfin) but hopefully someone can help me out :)

Is this a persistant game? Ie: ranking etc? Every time I come back to it, my characters are all level 1 (I'm playing on normal).

I've unlocked 2 characters, Priest lvl 1 fawn and Assassin lvl 1 Werewolf. I find the games menus pretty confusing, so when I'm in the Perks & Flaws & Skills screens for that character, i can't see where I can edit it - or if it's even possible.

From my understanding, I should be using the default Human race class to unlock stuff? Even that character though, is still at level 1 after 18 games.

All advice appreciated :)

14. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    This is not a persistent game. Each play through is a brand new adventure. The only thing that carries through game to game is the level of the classes as you snag trophies off of specials.

You can't edit skills and perks if the classes are at level one. As you level up the class more options (like changing perks, skills, etc) become unlocked. The menus could be explained better but I think they are quite good once you figure out how they work

The base human adventurer does not level ever nor can you use any perks/flaws etc with it. So every trophy you get will unlock a class. That's why I personally suggest people start with it though. It lets you get the hang of the game without needing to worry about perks/flaws, etc while allowing you to unlock the classes. Once you're comfortable with the game feel free to switch to one of the classes you unlocked and you'll start opening up more options/customization.

Feel free to post if you have any more questions!

15. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Where is that promised update?

16. That's what I still don't understand. I've played dozens of games, with each of the classes I've unlocked so far and every time I come back to the game, they're still Level 1 (see pic below).

[​IMG]

I see pics here from people showing off characters\classes where they're up to 70+ etc

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sorry, there is some confusion in this game as they refer to character levels in multiple ways. Your character levels in-game have nothing to do with that class' "meta-level" for lack of a better term.

Kill enough bosses as one class and eventually that class' meta-level will move up to 2 (and so on) allowing you more customization options when playing that class (but you'll still start each game of that class as level 1).

Did I lose you?

18. haha nah I think I get it now. Thanks for that :p

19. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    Here's an easier way xD

There are 2 types of Levels

Class and Player levels.

-Class level goes up as you collect trophies. Up to level 5.

-Player level always starts up as level 1 and will go up as you collect exp in games. And when you die, like en a rogue-like, you will lose that 'character' and will have to start over again on level 1

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nicely put! Only each class has 10 levels.