You Must Build A Boat (EightyEight Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LucaRedwood, Apr 19, 2015.

1. LucaRedwood

LucaRedwood Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 14, 2011
    You Must build A Boat is coming out next month, so I finally got some cool stuff to show off. I'm going to be posting some things here as I polish them up.

This is Your Boat. It might not look like much. but It's going to get much better.

[​IMG]

To find your crew, you'll have to run dungeons, match things and complete quests like 10000000, but it looks way better

[​IMG]

There are a bunch of cool crew to find After you've rescued Hattan, He'll live on your boat and over you investing opportunities

[​IMG]

Davies runs the church. After you've rescued her, you can try and modify your next run

[​IMG]

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Looks good!

3. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    It's finally here, insta-buy for sure!:)

4. LucaRedwood

Patreon Indie

Mar 14, 2011
    Hell yeah :) It's been a long journey but I'm really happy with how its all coming together

5. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Will the people who bought 10000000 have to buy this again? Or will it be like free for a day so they can pick up the game and continue their progress?

6. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    It's a sequel, so take a guess.

7. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Who am I to take a guess? Some website that interviewed the dev of this game said that he is thinking of making the game free on day 1 and then raising it to a price...

8. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    #8 Kedens, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Luca Redwood should NEVER give this for Free. If you bought 10000000 great, but it doesn't make anyone entitled to a free copy of the sequel. I bought 10000000 on every account I could android and iOS. C'mon People... Making games costs time and money.. That's why we need to pay for them and support development on iOS. We do not have enough devs making games like Luca Redwood. Personally I hope it's priced at a minimum of $5

9. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    This.

10. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Keep in mind that the free tag will be there for a day. The developer said that he wanted it so that the people that bought 10000000, would get the sequel for free. He further said that people who bought the game on humble bundle or steam would receive the sequel for free. To be honest, I am all up for payin for this sequel. I already bought 10000000 on Steam and Humble Bundle.

11. LucaRedwood

Patreon Indie

Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah, there is a little bit of that, Ideally I want it to be opt-in rather than opt-out, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Android is particularly tricky, If you set it to free you can never make it paid again.

Here's the other side of the after you meet the investing guy.

[​IMG]

You can play the game without ever talking to him. I imagine some people will, but I think It's a nice little feature.

On of the sort of hidden goals of 10000000 was to see how quickly you could escape, and this'll have something similar: Smart investing can get you more money quicker.

But there's no guarantee the investment will work out, and while your money is locked away, you're not as strong as you would have been if you bought an upgrade instead, so it should be a fine line

12. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Wait, you can never make a free app paid in android? I would say that make it $0.99 on android but free for a day on IOS and then set it to $0.99! I more than willing to pay more than that actually.

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I hope they won't make it free, even for a day. I'm all in favor of a launch sale to promote early adoption, but anybody that enjoyed the first should have no trouble whatsoever dropping a dollar or two on the sequel, which helps fund new content and more games.

In fact, everybody that loved the first game should grab a copy for themselves and gift another to a friend.

14. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    True dat but once again some people might be put off saying that it should been an expansion pack or somethin to the original game.

15. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Let the kids rage.

The developer set out to make a content update to the original game and said that the update would be free. But that update expanded into a full sequel. I don't think anyone would be mad if he doesn't make it free.

16. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    *shrugs*, personally, I am hoping for a paid game but if the dev makes it free on day one and then increases the price, I am ok with that too.

17. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I get the fear of the Dev and his integrity makes him want to appease the customers that took him at his word for a content update... But that game gave me more hours of play than most and I myself prefer a sequel over an update. Anyone that enjoyed the first should feel the few dollars is worth the enjoyment this sequel. If it bugs you.. Skip your next fast food meal and you could buy a few games that will last far longer than the meal. We as a community of gamers need to support premium developers and they're hard work.

If a contractor was originally set to provide a minor renovation but circumstances made it clear a complete rebuild was needed, it wouldn't even be worth completing if the work was expected to be done on the same budget ... Idk I won't download this for free.

/rant

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Champion! This is my most anticipated game since maybe Wayward Souls. Everything about it looks excellent. Get psyched, TAers!!

19. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
  20. LucaRedwood

Patreon Indie

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks Guise - Yeah this is one of my favourite features, because it does bring quite a bit of variety:

I think I'll make one about Items tomorrow. In 10000000, Items lived outside the board, but now they live on the board. I think it makes it look more just-like-any-other-match3 , but I think it does affect strategy quite a bit - you've got to way the opportunity cost of having the space being taken up