Endless Runners

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mr. Grizzly, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    What endless running games have you played, and which ones do you like the most? What is different about them?

Some I have on my device:

Juky - nice graphics, but nothing else.
    Go Go Gadget - kids love it. Unlock some special abilities and areas
    Canabalt - not much to it
    Air Supply - unlock different modes, music, and perhaps other things.

Monster Dash - different backgrounds and weapons, different achievements and sayings to unlock make this game a bit funner
    Temple Run - extreme paced 3D with some different power ups
    Stylish Sprint - interesting. Different objectives unlock different power ups/costumes and backgrounds
    Requiem - keep forgetting about this one so haven't played it much. 3d first person runner that is really fast paced, and later levels get pretty intense.

Looking forward to Jetpack Joyride! Maybe technically not an endless runner, more like an endless flyer - with so much unlockable content.
    Hm, there was another one coming out soon too (or recently came out) that looked interesting, but I can't remember the name right now.

2. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    I think the other upcoming one was Don't Run With A Plasma Sword.

3. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    My personal favorite is Temple Run. I like it because there's lots of awesome powerups, great controls, sweet graphics, and (most important) it's all around fun, even after I've unlocked all the upgrades. It adds elements not normally seen into 3d and it worked perfectly. There's also enough variety that it doesn't get old fast.
    I also own Canabalt, Tiny Wings (if you call it an endless runner), Paper Cut, Air Supply, and a few others...

4. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    Never heard of Paper Cut so I will check it out.

I am sure some would wznt to include the Hook Champ series in this. Three games with a lot of unlocks based on how fast you can swing, run, etc. There are endless modes in the game.

Prince Penny was free last week. Decent 3D type runner, but it might get old fast as there are no unlockables or other modes.

Chop Chop Runner. Another by the same company that is quite fun and may fit this genre: Chop Chop Kicker - some unlockables. See how far you can kick a dinosaur.

Donut Games has three: Action Hero and Action Buggy - pretty basic gameplay, not much to them. But Rat On A Skateboard has several endless skating modes and is one of my favourite games, trying to see how far you can go, doing tricks and avoiding dangers.

5. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Papercut! is currently free, not sure if it's permanent or not though. That Prince Penny one looks interesting actually, who knows maybe it'll go free again :p. But I have to agree on Rat on a Skateboard. I got it when it was free (one of my best freebies ever! I just grabbed it when i was new to iOS and half the games i got back then were junk, lol). RoaS is one of my favorite games.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    Here are some good endless style movement that might not get much mention otherwise; not sure if you're just looking for "runners" but hope this helps:

Zombie Glider - a flying gliding game with a high level of upgrade customization and some detailed level work (skim the ground and pick off townsfolk or fly to the stars).

Mower Rider - a bumper car style top down game involving sporadic enemy lawn mowers and multiple power-ups.

Mr. Ninja - an endless jumping game; jump at the right angle to collect starts and land on next platform. Requires some precision and can be more methodical than most endless games.

Gravity Hook - an endless climbing game from Canabalt developers; good use of gravity physics.

Cuddle Bears - a limited but polished endless runner where you hop on pink bears to avoid being hugged while a black boar chases you.

Angry Rhino Rampage - also limited but franticly paced endless poacher revenge game.

Line Surfer - a fun game similar to Tiny Birds with some good physics/ragdoll qualities.

Also consider checking out these threads:
    Top 10 Endless Running Games
    Endless flying games ?
    What are the best Canabalt style running games?

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    4m no inclusion of Jetpack Joyride.....?

8. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    Honey Tribe Colony Collapse!!

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Temple Run and Monster Dash are my favorite endless runners. Followed by Run Like Hell.

10. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Temple run is awesome!

If you want a twist you can try Hook Worlds. It's more like an endless grappling hooker (yeah sounds kinda funny) but it's pretty fun.

If you want more unlockables Super Quick Hook has two endless modes (Avalanche, and Eruption). You can buy a ton of equipment/random stuff in the shop with ingame money earned by playing levels

11. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Temple Run is a good 3d take on the endless runner
    Monster Dash is petty cool, I do like the changing scenery to mix it up a bit
    Mr Ninja, just keeps me coming back for more. Probably my favorite thus far
    And definitely Canabalt!

12. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Hola! We're developing DRWAPS so I thought I'd say a little something.

From a style point of view, we're trying to give it a retro-futuristic and humoristic direction.

It should be one of the most intense and exhilarating runner out there! It will have a lot of content too, story mode, boss fights, skills upgrades, etc.

Hopefully the game will be out this October. The 'upcoming' thread can be found here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=105383&highlight=plasma+sword

About other runners, it is hard to come up with an exhausting list, since there's so many of them. But here's a few other interesting ones:

- Robot Unicorn attack (simple but addictive)
    - Gravity Runner (nice story mode although has no endless mode)
    - I must run (might be still free)
    - Run! (an old one but fun one)
    - Lame Castle (funny thematic)
    - Grim Jogger (interesting gameplay twist)
    - Dino Rush (cute and has a gameplay twist as well)
    - Gravity Guy (nice graphics, has lots of similarities with Grav. Run.)

13. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    I'm surprised that nobody brought up Zombie Highway. Probably one of my favorite endless runners.

14. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    why do all the 2d endless runners run to the right?

15. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #goodidea for new endless runner

16. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Before Tiny Wings and Jetpack Joyride, I absolutely despised endless runners, mostly because the only ones that I had played were so one dimensional and god awful that they had more or less put me off the entire genre.

Probably gonna try Temple Run, because it has got good reviews and I haven't yet played a 3d endless runner.

17. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Rogue Runner was pretty well received here, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

18. Keshekki

Keshekki Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Student
    I dunno, I'll check
    Jetpack joyride!

19. Eupatria

Eupatria Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    That's the problem
    Big Apple
    It should be included