Mecho Wars: A high quality, polished but poor TBS game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, Jul 14, 2009.

1. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I really want to like Mecho Wars. It's very polished and very slick. I can tell a LOT of time and effort has gone into this game and continues to go into this game. However, despite being very polished, it really fails as a TBS game. Here are some reasons:

1. It's just WAY too simple. It basically boils down to a very simplified rock-paper-scissors mechanic. In most cases, if you have the advantaged unit, you kill them in one shot. There's nothing the other unit can do. It gets to the point, where I really don't see the point of different terrain. No matter what terrain any unit is on, the advantaged unit (e.g., heavy versus infantry) will always destroy the other unit completely in one hit.

2. Both factions are exactly the same other than different graphics and names. Neither side has any unique unit. So, regardless of faction used, the strategies are exactly the same--as extremely simplified as they are.

3. The unit support mechanism makes money basically useless. I've had like $90,000 stocked up in the bank with no use for it many times.

4. No unit healing (other than infantry). Units can't be healed nor can they be stacked (ala Advanced Wars).

There are some more reasons that I can't really think of right now. What it boils down to is that the game is just WAY too simple and diluted as a TBS game. It's really unfortunate considering how polished the game is.

One more quibble: the banners that fly across the screen EVERY ROUND (i.e., Landians, Flyians or whatever, and Environment) and the money amounts earned each round get REALLY old and REALLY slow down the pace of the game. I wish these would be removed as they serve no purpose whatsoever. I really don't see myself forgetting which side currently has the turn.

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    haven't played it, but it's a shame to hear as this basically looked like a really nice Advance Wars style game.

still with the crazy cheap price for what you get, and the general expectation that "popular apps will be improved on over time," I'd say the future can only be bright for a game this good/affordable out of the gate. I am sure the devs are well-aware of the shortcomings of their initial offering, keep an eye on it.

This is one of the symptoms of the iPhone App market being what it is, in that there's generally a mad rush to get things out ASAP between the pressures of general App Store Submission queues (nebulous as they are) and just the increasing difficulty in being noticed at all as larger tidal waves of software keep releasing by the weeks and months. With all of that in mind, I'd say the devs did a very good job in getting a first impression out there, and whetting people's appetite. I wouldn't condemn this game yet, far from it!

3. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Well that and Uniwars are the best TBS games out there right now. Not really alot anyone can do about it :p

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Dude man landians cheap sea unit has 1-3 range but the winged crusade one only has 1. LOL GG :D

5. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Uniwars lacks in animation and Graphical polish.

Mecho Wars, is indeed too simple; and I do wish that they implement cool alien vehicles, and fix the map panning.

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not a big strategy guy, so I'm definitely not going to argue whether it's too easy or not, I'll leave that to others...I just appreciate the style and art of this game. Florbastang even commented that his gripe wasn't with the polish (I hate that term) but with the difficulty. I understand that if it's too easy for the hardcore strategy people then it's probably a deal breaker. I'm a casual strategy guy, so I've just enjoyed the experience so far as it is. It does appear that the developer is very active on this thread however, so maybe he'll add in some of the strategic elements that are apparently missing. I can understand what Florbastang is saying about it being kind of a "first attack wins" type of situation, so it would be nice if there were some options for more varied attack options.

7. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    I'd take deep, balanced, well-though-out TBS gameplay mechanics (i.e., Uniwar) over polished animations and graphics (i.e., Mecho Wars). When it comes to TBS games, it's really never been about graphics anyway.

8. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    It's not that it's too easy; it has nothing to do with the difficulty level. It's that the game is WAY too simple to the point that there is very little strategy involved in the game. Play something like Uniwar on the iPhone/Touch or Advanced Wars on GBA/DS, and you'll know what I mean.

9. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Beggars cant be choosers! I feel that TBS is still under represented in the i devices so im just happy to have something to play! Wish online multiplayer update comes quick though...

10. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    But I'm not a beggar. I suppose I'm just fine with Uniwar. It just bums me out that this game has so much potential.

11. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    i've never really played any TBS games, so all the commentary that's it's simple, actually sounds good to me...i figure it's a good way to 'test the waters' with this genre, and i was also particularly drawn to it, because of the interesting art style

...didn't hurt that is was 99 cents at the time either, and it had gotten a lot of good commentary in its main thread

12. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    well, in short words, if I only want one TBS game, which one is better, Uniwar or Mecho Wars?, I am a casual player, please tell the reasons of ur choice

13. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Mecho Wars is okay (except for the #@$! banners every turn) but it's really not a game of strategy. It's more like a turn-based adventure game. It does feel like something from the original NES or first gameboy.

Uniwar doesn't look as great but it's not ugly either (except for the sound... play it on mute!) It is a much better "strategy" experience, especially multiplayer (actually the single player experience is really just teaching you how to play multiplayer, in my opinion.) You do have to use your brain and actually plan ahead and use tactics with Uniwar. Mecho Wars not so much.

Of course both games have glaring problems that need to be fixed but that can be said about just about every iphone game.