Mara's Dreams (from What's Up Dev?) First Preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tvallier, Sep 16, 2011.

1. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    #1 tvallier, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    I've been working on an iOS title with a few friends from the university. We're a little over halfway completed with our project and we've entered the fundraising phase! We made a little preview video to share where we're at with the game. Anyway, if you're at all interested, here's a link to the video:

Mara's Dreams:

Now that we're public with the game, I can talk about content and gameplay etc, so if you guys have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

The gameplay is pretty simple. You sit on top of a whale who launches you into the sky. Naturally, as a fish, you can't fly, but you attempt to fly by tapping the screen to flap your fins. Your little fishy struggles to stay afloat, but ultimately succumbs to falling back into the ocean as his energy is depleted.

[​IMG]

While in the air, there are coins, birds, and other objects to both help you and harm you. Over time, you may use your coins to purchase upgrades, such as stronger flapping power, the opportunity to eat bugs to replenish energy, and even a rocket that gives you a very strong boost for staying afloat.

[​IMG]

Eventually, your ability to fake flying as a fish will become very advanced. You will be able to soar above the clouds, and if your skill level is high enough, rise above the atmosphere into space.

[​IMG]

Your goal is to travel as far as possible in one session, though your progress adds up over time, to avoid penalizing the novice player. As you progress, you move closer to the next location that Mara is visiting. When your distance to her next area reaches zero, you will be in a new world. When you have traveled all of the worlds, you will be reunited with Mara.

If you want to follow the progress, you can follow us on the various social networks which you can find here:

http://www.whatsupdev.com/

Update: Adding this gameplay footage to the op.

2. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
  3. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks! I forgot to mention, this app will be released universal.

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

...Bought...​

6. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I know universal apps make a big difference for me so I figured it would be worth mentioning ;)

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

It makes the difference nowadays if i buy a Game without knowing anything about it or simple ignoring it and keeping my Money till i have played a Lite Version of it or have seen a Gameplay Trailer about it that makes me wana buy it.

You should also make sure the Games does have the Option to seperate the Music from the Soundeffects so we can turn down the Music or/and the Soundeffects.

8. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    We will definitely be implementing this in the game, thanks for the suggestion.

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    The last 2 pictures don't really make me want to buy it... Any other screen shot? I liked the 1st though.

10. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
    Instabuy for sure.

What inspired the title?

Looks brilliant, sweet title too ^^

And universal is a huge plus!
    What stage of development are you in?

11. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    #11 tvallier, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. What's not doing it for you in those last two pictures? We've got plenty of screenshots we'll be posting in our kickstarter over the next few weeks. I'll be sure to post them here as well at the same time.

I came up with Mara because I wanted a name that was symbolic for the game (mar=sea) but I wanted it to be feminine too (add the "a").

This is our first title, but I think it's safe to say we are past the midway point for Mara's Dreams. We need to implement a few more gameplay elements (a couple items and achievements), we need to finish up the audio and art on a couple locales, and then we just need to do testing.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't know. Maybe they were too dark? Anyway the video looked cool :)

13. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Ah, I see. Thanks again for the feedback!

14. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    How about this one?

[​IMG]

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    That looks better :)

16. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Writing the music for Mara's Dreams has been a very enjoyable experience for me. I wanted to share a little bit of the process and post some concept music along with the finished product in a few days to complement it. The file I have attached is a thematic idea that would eventually be developed into a full length level track. I sat at my computer and played this into Apple Logic Studio Pro using a M-Audio midi keyboard. The original content is only a few measures long, and is then repeated several times to help me get a feel for how I might develop it. Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1190257/TF-NY-Keys%20only.mp3

17. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    On a side note. We have our first t-shirts designed.

This shirt features the 'What's Up Dev?' cat sitting at a computer contemplating life and existence.
    [​IMG]

I've got a handful extra in black (L) I'm going to be giving away throughout the thread, so look out for further posts regarding that.

18. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Alright, if you can guess the in-game locale of this original audio track for Mara's Dreams, I will send you a What's Up Dev? cat t-shirt for FREE. Good luck, there will be only one winner!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1190257/mystery.mp3

19. tvallier

tvallier Member

Jun 29, 2010
    We've gotten some good turn out and feedback from our Kickstarter for Mara's Dreams, but some people felt like our interview didn't show enough gameplay so I whipped up this alpha footage compilation. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I've still got a T-Shirt to give away!

20. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    I'll be purchasing this game when it first comes out.