When it comes to game testing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Hi all,

Just wondering if any devs here use testflightapp to help manage their testing workflow, any thoughts and feedback about the service? Do you think its better and easier using this service?

Also, is this forum a good place to ask for beta testers? Or would this be frowned upon?!

Thanks

2. Freespirit

Freespirit Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I wouldn't use this thread for beta testers. Developers can't test :)

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You're allowed to ask for beta testers here, typically it's done through an upcoming thread (in this sub-forum) for your game. Stick some artwork/screens/whatever you've got to drum up some interest and let them know what kind of info you need. I've seen a few using testflight but I've been out of the beta game for ages now, so I don't know if it's good or not.

4. djskinner

djskinner Well-Known Member

+1 for TestFlight.

+1 for TestFlight.

If you want to coordinate a decent beta test I'd highly recommend using TestFlight. You need to make the process of getting the build onto the tester's device as easy as possible (in addition to getting crash reports). It's still not the easiest process using TestFlight but I don't think there is any easier way and it beats manual distribution hands down.

5. polygonplay

polygonplay Well-Known Member

Using Testflight right now. It's amazing. Very good for recruiting testers, extracting UDIDs, distributing builds, and collecting feedback. Highly recommended.

6. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Good to know!

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals!

@MidianGTX - good to know! I'll maybe create a thread in the upcoming section. Actually would love some feedback on some of my graphics because i'm no designer for sure!..

@Freespirit - devs can't test but devs, as gamers, can yeah?... :)

@djskinner, @polygonplay - i'm thinking of using TestFlightApp, although simply as an easy means to install the test game/app. The SDK to report of stats/analytics is not necessarily required right? Only if you want to view testing stats yeah?

Cheers,

7. djskinner

@Appvism, that's the primary purpose we use it for. You can configure your build to exclude TestFlight for releases which are being submitted to the App Store so yeah, you can essentially disable the stats.

8. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Love TestFlight

We're using TestFlight. We originally got it to distribute our iOS builds to testers, but are looking into using it for Android as well.

It takes a bit to set up, but we've always been happy with it. Definitely worth our while. :)

9. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    There is testing (for bugs/compatibility) and testing for game-play, ease of use and what else. For the second part (the most important) my best advice is this one: once you have something playable and think it's representing what's your game is all about, hand other a device to someone in front of you and let him play on his own. It should be the first time the player see your game. Don't say a word: just watch. This is gold, you'll learn so much about your game and realize it has so many flows. This feedback is priceless. The player might not be able to word the problem correctly, or even know there is a problem. It doesn't matter: watching him struggling right in front of you, will give you all the information you need to know. This way you can really make your game more playable and enjoyable to player. Remember: YOU are the worst person to test your game (because you know it inside out).

JC

10. It's been a pleasure to have been a beta tester numerous times, and have to say Testflight is awesome, gotta love it.

Also, set up a social group, which is like your own private forum so you can have multiuser beta testing posts, so there is more interaction. It helps alot.

11. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Testing

Good feedback and agree this would be useful - given the choice, i would rather observe the person using the device to play. However, i'm tempted for really simple, basic games - like my maths quiz - to not bother with this, different case if for eg a platformer, rpg, puzzle game, etc.

I would like to make sure the game renders and displays fine on devices i do not have access to, but of course getting general feedback about the game from testers would b extremely helpful.

Cheers,

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1 to Test Flight; I'll test so keep me in mind.

13. Another vote for Testflight..

.. but do not neglect internal and blind testing: Watch people live using your app/game and see where they struggle or get confused. Don't. say. a. word. let them use it and make the necessary adjustments.

Rinse and repeat until release :D

14. Sure, pm me. But I am pretty picky on how hard I will beta test it. If I enjoy it a lot, I will beta test it alot like I did for Wimp and Fire Busters and help promote it, if I don't like it, I will just jot down some notes on suggested improvements. But would be happy to look at it.

15. XLUSHgames

XLUSHgames Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Slicin' & dicin'
    #15 XLUSHgames, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    TF definitely makes distributing builds much simpler.

Also agree very much that watching a non-user play your game gives you a lot of ideas - they will play and check out all the buttons and functions that you yourself have become "blind" to - showing what it really is like for a new downloader.

On another note, anyone have stories/experiences about integrating higher-end testflight analytics functions through the "Dashboard/Live" interface? How easy/difficult is it to implement, and are the resulting data valuable to you?

thanks!

16. Vyce

Vyce New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Test Flight is really good to distribute iOS BETA builds on the fly, we've also started using Zubhium to send builds to Android testers while keeping a track on data, installs,uninstalls, crashes etc

Here's the link to Zubhium just in case https://zubhium.com/ :)

Side note: Not affiliated with zubhium

Cheers

17. djskinner

Looks like TestFlight will also be supporting Android devices in the not-to-distant future.

18. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    It's amazing at how many people don't understand this concept.

Say nothing besides "mmmhmm", "mmm", or "hmm" to let them know you haven't fallen asleep, and have them say everything that enters their mind.