why do people create free games ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kii, Jan 15, 2011.

1. kii

kii Active Member

#1 kii, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    why do people create free games for the iphone?

please enlighten me -
    i can do my research of course but i thought this would be the right place
    to ask the question ? and get some great answers ..

also have you heard about the 14 year old Robert Ney

who has created a free version on the bubble game
    which has become the no.1 free app and has knocked
    " Angry birds " off its most popular post ?

400, 000 downloads in one day !

cheers
    kevin

2. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Millions

Free games make more money than you do in ten lifetimes thats why

They put ads around the game and Adsense

Take Angry Birds they put Adsense around Android in the place here people clicked accidentally.
    Very smart

I am about to sell my house for some profit to get some cash to get my multi player word game developed for Iphone and Android paid for Iphone and free for Android. As an individual I have to do this as no studio or programmer is interested to partner ith me. But seeing the latest Splosion man fiasco etc I am not confident to send details to anyone only hire to get the job done.

Hope this explains your question.

3. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Do you have any experiences creating games and selling them?

JC

4. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Selling your house to fund a game! That is a big step. Remember that you hear of the success stories, but rarely of those games that do not sell. Note how many success stories there are. Notes how many apps there are. Do some maths.

Some free games make a lot of money. Some, not all, a minority.

If you want to make a game, why not learn to program yourself? I've been a video game designer since the 90s, but I didn't know how to program. I learnt Unity3D and the programming to make it work last year, resulting in releasing my first game in November. As you are making a word game, something 2D would be more appropriate. Perhaps Cocos2D.

5. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    Board

Only board games

6. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    #6 Noodler, Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks for the tips and risk warning but it will be partial profits of house sell.
    I dont have the brain for programming or time to learn.

Board games are my limit.

What is Words with Friends and the clone games are they Cocos2D?

7. kii

kii Active Member

#7 kii, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    noodler - millions

yes that answers my question -
    thanks noodler

8. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    That is an extremely bad idea. The vast majority of iPhone and Android games do not even come close to making back the money invested in them. Most never even make $1,000. Other than a couple notable successes, the Word games category is one of the least profitable sections of the store. Betting your house on something you admit to having no prior experience with is a recipe for disaster.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i think most in this thread missunderstand noodler..

he want to use part of the profit he makes of selling his house for development..

like you bought your house for 80k , sell it for 100k and use 10k for your project..

yes? no?

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    If true, that is more reasonable.

11. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Still pretty insane I say.

12. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what exactly is insane? to take money to fund a project? .. i'm sure he won't be living under a bridge.. he surely isn't selling his house only for the purpose to get use a small percentage of that money to invest into iOS development..
    maybee he has a dozen of them and wants a new R8 in pink to add to his collection and uses the change to fund a project.. :D

13. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    If the reason for selling the house is primarily to fund a game, in a market they're unfamiliar with, then I agree with you.

14. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I am with Little White bear

Noodler a piece of advice from someone in this space. Look at your word game very closely and ask yourself, if the game is as good as you think it is. Does it bring something new to the market? or is it a wanna be clone? If your game is rock solid and revolutionary by all means put the chips on the table otherwise be cautious. I am going after Sudoku with Str8ts I wouldn't even attempt it if my puzzle wasn't able to compete. Only great products are worth the risk in this space.

15. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    #15 Noodler, Jan 15, 2011
    Absolutely!

Also did Words with Friends not become super money maker and popular?

Then it was bought by Zynga even though it was very buggy?
    Multi player Word games are not popular?
    Mine is a party game and very strategic although vey simple, and can have a paid game upgrade or two.

Ipad users would love it and of course Iphone.
    Mr Ugly I like an r8 in blue actually :))

16. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, but thousands haven't. Not saying don't go for your dreams, just be aware of the harsh realities of the App Store. And let's face it, Words with Friends is popular because it copied Scrabble, and it has a free option.

Currently, only a couple are popular. What I was saying before was that the Word game category is a tough nut to crack, financially.

Best of luck to you. :) I think we were all just concerned you were betting your house on a winning game, when the odds are very much stacked against you.

17. dug

dug Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm a pretty risk-averse guy so look at my words through that filter.

Noodler, the profit on your real-estate deal is a great source of investment capital to start building a business, but you won't get it back if you fail. What I mean is that if you only get one throw of the dice, you want to make sure you have as much going for you as possible before you do.

I don't know much about your plan or your game, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about it at all, except to say that most people overvalue their ideas. You should honestly ask yourself if you were a third party and heard your story and plan, would you fund your idea? Ask people you trust for their honest opinion.

You can't count on the feedback you'll get from a prospective developer. I have seen unscrupulous contractors take money from people with a weak idea and a dream, more than once.

None of this is to say that you shouldn't pursue your plan, but perhaps you should think about doing it in a way that allows for a second or third at-bat if the first one doesn't go the way you'd like. Good luck!

18. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    this sounds like a very crazy story. I definitely advise that you do not throw thousands of dollars at something like this unless you really have a pretty clear cut (and experienced) idea of what you are doing. Either that or if you don't mind that there's a very high chance that it will all be lost :(

Keep in mind that there's tons of amazing, very good-looking products on the app store for a long time now, many of them make no money at all. If you have serious money, you'd be wise to use that for advertising/marketing (and again, even in that case you'd better know who to partner with and how to go about it). Good luck in your efforts!

19. kii

kii Active Member

#19 kii, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    good reality check from Little White Bear Studios
    so how does a game stand out ?

there must be a lot bad games out there
    or games that have nothing new

if thats the case - why should people tell their friends about them ?
    they'll only do that if their excited about the game

and from Headcase
    " Keep in mind that there's tons of amazing, very good-looking products
    on the app store for a long time now, many of them make no money at all "

hmm .. so just because a game is good. amazing, very good looking -
    if all that is true .. they still drown under the weight of competition
    in the App. store ?

20. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

yes they do.. the app store is an open market who is not filtered by quality.. as long as you play by apples rules you can release junk.

i don't say the majority of releases are junk, but mediocre at best.. and its quite difficult to shine if you are just burried. thats the reason marketing is of importance.. or dumb luck that you geat dragged into the spotlight by being features by apple.