Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    This is not my kind of game normally but I've just played through the tutorial and it's fantastic. Can't wait to get some proper time over Christmas to play it properly. Very well made and atmospheric with a great tutorial for people like me.

2. Arzy

Arzy Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    This game is really good and shows just how awesome iPads are for war gaming.

Nice job on this one. Seriously if you like war games at all please support this developer.

3. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    anyone know why its not in the german store ?

4. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Just played thru the tutorial a couple of times and fiddled around in the Help and History sections and my initial impressions are...wow just an amazing piece of work! TA strategy and wargamers, this IS The Real Deal, we finally have a true classic wargame for iOS. You can instantly tell that this is a labor of love. Everything from the graphics, the 40s era music, the biting cold wind whistling thru the trees (makes me shiver thinking about it) to the user interface simply oozes quality. This product has more polish than an observatory telescope mirror!

I'll try to post more impressions as I dive into this strategy gem over the following days but so far this gets a 100% from me! Grognards will feel right at home as this has the hallmarks of a classic board wargame but it seems simple enough so that the beer and pretzels crowd won't feel intimidated. Most of the complex calculations that sink up time in a board wargame (CRT, pips, ect) are all handled underneath the hood so thou can just concentrate on playing the game.

Get this, that's an order! Now time for me to step back into time and Race to the Meuse! :D

5. Kosh One

Kosh One Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Is it possible it may never be in the German store? Don't they have weird laws when it comes to WWII stuff. Like nothing with a nazi flag and things like that.

6. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I expected this game to be a great strategy game but I certainly didn't expect it to be such a great iPad game. It was a nice surprise.

7. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Yep, when I lived there they used to remove all the decal sheets from model kits because of the swastika's on em. This is a traumatic thing for a 13 year old boy.

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Is this game as deep as it looks? Not watered down at all?

9. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm hopeful you get this game in the German store and every App Store for that matter.
    This game is really amazing. It will be very familiar to fans of Turn Based games as well as board game fans, and quite simply any fan of a great gaming experience. It's nice that all the battles are historically recreated and the sence of playing war that you get is Awsome. It makes me feel like a kid playing toy soldiers almost. Undoubtedly worth the price, highly recommend

10. Struan73

Struan73 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Politics

No that is not true. There are not even weird laws about the Nazi time. In Germany it is forbidden to "worship" Nazi believes (I hope I use the right terminology), but in a historical framework the usage is not forbidden at all.

Struan

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Wonder this as well. I am tired of jumping on games looking like the real deal, just to get disappointed once again.

12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    It's not watered down, but it is streamlined and approachable. The closest approximation I can make with regards to its depth would be A Victory Lost, by Multiman Publishing, if you are familiar with that game. The engine does all of the calculations, of course, and artillery is automatically applied per region. Movement rates are the same for all unit types within a category, such as infantry and tanks. There are 15 or 20 terrain effects modifiers, again, calculated for you, but indicated to the player prior to battle. I've been playing for a couple hours and the full bulge scenario will probably take about 3 hours, I would guess. Shorter if you play pen & paper wargames.

Beyond that, you would have to be more specific; "watered down" as compared to what, for instance? I own most wargames you could mention, so if want comparisons, feel free to do so.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    As a support of its Kick Starter, I just get the code to download it but no time to play it, yet.

I think this campaign has been done to "death" in computer wargaming world but still it never ceases to interest designers. If you read the Pocket Tactics stuff:

http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/12/review-battle-of-the-bulge/

http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/13/wargame-of-the-year-2012-battle-of-the-bulge/

If you ask me, I would say finally there is a decent operation-level wargame here on iOS. That is why I dropped my US$10 onto this early on.

(Yes, I am thinking about Operation Crusader)

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Read on bgg this last 3 hours, no replay value and is rather simplistic. I guess I can live without it, then.

15. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Anyone that's up for multiplayer, I'm djflippy on GameCenter.

God, this game owns.

16. NoisyNinja

NoisyNinja Member

Sep 12, 2012
    im willing to pay for the current price but im afraid it will drop after pretty soon.

And how long is the single player?

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    3 hours, I have read on bgg.

18. Respox

Respox Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    It won't. The pricing strategy is similar to Battle Academy, which launched at $19.99 ten months ago and has retained and been successful at that price. It's targeted at a very specific audience that recognizes and happily pays more for quality games.

They're not interested in racing to the bottom at $0.99 in order to appeal to the bird-flinging, endlessly running crowd, because those people never buy these kinds of games anyway.

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    These are my impressions after some hours of playing.

You can find much more professional reviews from the PRO of pocettactics, gamezebo or bgg.

PERSONALLY, I found it INCREDIBLE.

For starters, it's one of the slickest games I ever saw.
    As I already said, it is an aural-visual orgasm, expecially if you are into the WW2 period 'look and feel'.
    Sometimes it's so good it doesn't feel like a game, but like a BBC documentary.
    Regarding the game itself, I was blown away.
    It's very different from what I imaginated, for the better.
    Turns are FAST, it's incredibly fun.
    The interface let you move and plan strategies within 5 minutes of gameplay...in 10 minutes you will be move panzer divisions with incredible ease...not worrying about anything BUT the strategical component.
    As you play, you start to realize that the game is incredibly deep; the asyncronous turns (very cool) idea force you to make hard decisions at every step.

As for replaybility...well...I just played the easier scenario and got in the middle of the map in about 2 hours; I was playing in bed when wife threatened me to a slow death if I didn't turn off the iPad.
    There is a 'full' scenario which I didn't touch yet and then it will be async multiplayer time.
    For every side you can choose between two AI opponent, with very different behaviours.

To me it's a no brainer.
    Like it was a no brainer Carcassone or Ascension...these are infinite games.
    But I'm super glad they took the effort to have a meaningful and tough AI and campaign for solo players.

Debating to wait for a 1 dollar sale (which in this case I hope will never happen, and I hope the devs sticks with the price like Siltherine does) is dishartening.
    Every iPad app should be made with this incredible level of detail and polish....from the very starting seconds you realize how a game built for the iPad from the ground up should be made.

Well...these are my opinions...I know they are pretty raving...but I was honestly blown away.
    If you have questions just ask, but I suggest to check out the reviews from the PROs to see if it's your cup of tea.

20. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Still no sign of it in the German app store...bummer...