I'm seriously considering deleting most of my apps…

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dariusjr98, Dec 7, 2012.

1. It's not gonna be easy, but I'm sick of missing out on the latest and coolest games just because I don't have enough memory left on my phone, due to me not wanting to let go of my games. I might go on GameFAQs or something and make a "If this gets x comments, I'll do y" topic. I'm sorta afraid, but it has to e done sooner or later. What do you all think?

2. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Just do it. There must be games you don't play much.

3. Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's just that I like those games, it just play them when I get around to it. Like, "Man, I'm in the mood for some ___ right now."

4. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    So when you finally get in the mood to play them download them. Until then purge Purge PURGE!!!

5. ...purge???

6. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    #6 Filing Cabinet, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Remove

I'm the same way I tend to hoard apps.

I have a simple system for removing games: if I haven't Played a game in a month it gets booted off.

7. Okay, I swear I'll do it…just need a little more convincing.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Try selecting "purchased" in iTunes on your computer. DL everything, then purge away. DL either iExplorer or IFunBox, both of which let you manually explore the file system without being jailbroken; that way you can retrieve save games. I know with iExplorer, you could create a backup now through iTunes, and then (I think) manually extract you apps.

I really need to purge my ITunes app collection. I'm almost at 12k apps now :(

9. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Everything you bought is still in your account. If you don't have hours and hours in a savegame file, nothing is lost by deleting. Purge the old and make room for the new!

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    If I did that I'de have to delete 100's of dollars worth of purchases I've never even installed!

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Except for premium games that change to freemium or add advertisements. Then you get that dev bullhockey about "previous purchasers won't be affected"; which really means "if you haven't unintalled the app".

12. Thank you very much for the info, bet I have two questions. Is it guaranteed to work for every game? And do I have to download the games onto the iTunes on PC?

13. I already new about the purchase list. And not all games save your data when you delete it. That's my main concern with this. If all of them had icloud, I can delete them with no problem or regrets.

14. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Unfortunately not all games have icloud saves,so same games that you have put a lot of time into (unlocking items,leveling up,etc.) will be lost forever.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Redownload from your purchase history. Simple.

16. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    How to check

17. Filing Cabinet

Aug 20, 2011
    Look at app

Have I played it recently

No

Am I going to play it

No

delete

18. Filing Cabinet

Aug 20, 2011
    If you've never installed you don't need to delete it :p

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I thought you get an app which tells you when apps were last used

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    For games that use gamecenter, I delete the games towards the bottom of the list which is the not recently played games. I do keep ~60 games on my iPod of my absolute favorites from different genres and just delete the rest.

In the end, there's just so many new games coming out that realistically, I'm not going to replay most games I've played once through.