Beneath a Steel Sky or Monkey Island?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by uncleaerosmithe, Oct 8, 2009.

1. uncleaerosmithe

May 28, 2009
    Played neither and they don't offer any nostalgic value - before my time.

I'm looking for an absorbing puzzle story to play on a 10 hour journey tomorrow.

Pros / cons / comparisons? Any major difference?

Help me make decision - I need to download before leaving home.

Thanks old man :)

2. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    If you have no previous experience with neither, I would go for MI. MI's new updated graphics are more accepted by today's players, and the humor is a bit more cheerful too.

Both are two of the best games ever created though.

3. spvn

spvn Active Member

May 30, 2009
    Anyone else have any suggestions too? I'm also deciding between Monkey Island and Steel Sky.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think you will have a tough time going wrong either way. I played both games back in the day, and even though the Monkey Island update is prettier, I do have a special fondness for Beneath a Steel Sky. It's a question of whether you want something funny but a bit shallow (story-wise, I mean) or a deeper, more involving cyberpunk story.

5. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm terribly fond of the new graphics of MI (they don't really match the style and comparative quality of the originals), but I'm always fond of the art of Dave Gibbons. The humor is a different flavor in either of the games, MI is tongue-in-cheek, BASS is much darker.

I couldn't recommend deciding between the two, as opposed to getting both and not buying other games of remarkably lesser quality :)

6. uncleaerosmithe

May 28, 2009
    Interesting solution! Perhaps once I get there I will buy the other to play on my return journey.

Sounds like we're leaning toward Steel Sky then if it's the most absorbing.