What's the best puzzle game you have ever played?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Applefan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Applefan

Applefan Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    student
    There are so many kinds of games on the market now and I prefer the puzzle games to all the other kinds. What's the best puzzle game you have ever played? For me it's iBlast Moki.
    The point of iBlast Moki is to blast the moki into the portal at the end.The controls of the game are quite simple. Pinch in/out to zoom in or out, move finger around is enough.The graphics are fabulous.There are 6 different worlds with different style. Each one is a nice experience. As you go to other worlds, you get more elements. My favorite element is the bomb with timer.You can move the circle as a clock, adding or removing time. Very useful for the later levels where more than one bombs are needed, or a “delayed” bomb is needed. The most amazing thing is you can build your own levels. The editor is very simple to use and you can choose the object and theme as you like.
    iBlast Moki is a great value at $1.99. With a unique concept, decent amount of levels,and a level editor, its just awesome.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    helsing's fire and beyond ynth

3. FortyRock

FortyRock Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    #3 FortyRock, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    In general or on i-devices?

Best puzzles I've ever seen myself were those in the Myst series (first two most notably). Runners up (somewhat easier, though) were Return to Zork, Zork Nemesis and Riddle of the Sphinx.

On iOS, Myst is available. But if you're refering to puzzles with a level-by-level approach, I agree Beyond Ynth and Helsing's Fire are both good choices.

Still waiting for a real brain buster, though.

EDIT: Would love to see an Oxyd port for the iPad.

4. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    From the ones I've played, I'll say Helsing's Fire and Huebris.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    iBlast Moki

6. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Will's World the best Chip's Challenge like game in the app store you can even play the origional Chip's Challenge levels with it and best of all its Free

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    PathPix. Hands down.

8. realityexists

realityexists Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Drop7 is my all time favorite.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    I really like Devil Invasion on iOS. It's a hectic timed match 3 game with a tower defense mini-component... who would think that a world of cliches would make a game as interesting as that.

10. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Cogs is decent and it's free today

11. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    only 10 puzzles! it's a shame! u agree with me, i suppose :eek:

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fling! and Mouse About. Both fall in the randomized, high score puzzle game genre (in fact, both have a similar mechanic as well.) Infinite replayability.

Drop 7 is also very good, as noted by others.

Alchemize and Cash Machine take match 3 to such a different level that they are great puzzle games in their own right. Alchemize is better, though cash machine has nice simplicity. (Not sure it matters, but the developers of Alchemize always struck me as nuts, for example by once raising the price to $199.99 to try and make a point about price cuts.)

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Some good ones (not already mentioned - Helsing's Fire and Huebris are both great.)

Puzzle Maniak - infinite logic games, a must have on the device IMHO
    Str8ts - Good alternative to Sudoku
    iBlast Moki - My favorite game of 2009
    Aqeduct
    Rush Hour - the classic solitaire board game with a billion puzzles
    Sarang - goes free every so often, takes a long time to get difficult, but fun.
    Sherlock - not as good on iOS, but a classic (if you have a PC, google for "Honeycomb Hotel" my favorite of his games!)
    Wriggle
    Subway Shuffle - Starts out simple, will melt your brain about 30 levels in...
    Launchball - surprised this didn't get more recognition, is one of the neater physics based puzzles (like The Package, Master of Alchemy, etc) as it includes more variety of elements
    Psychoban - best sokoban on the system, hands down.
    Doodle Bomb - just plain fun!
    Both Ragdoll Blasters are fun - play for low score, Physics Box some more and the really fun Roly Poly Cannon.
    iDrop Dead Flower Edition - has a lot more depth to it than it appears...
    Color Bind is nice and difficult at the same time.

14. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    Drop 7 is second only to tetris in my book, but the ios tetris doesn't control as nicely as the copy in my pink gameboy pocket so... drop 7 gets the nod as far as ios puzzlers go

cogs is pretty brutal in the later stages, ive only played it on pc so i cant comment on the ios version.

Oh and Ken Ken gets a nod for being my favorite puzzle game that isn't necessarily a video game

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I forgot Trainyard and Trainyard Express, they are really good. Gets too hard for my small brain eventually, but its a nice difficulty curve.

16. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    #16 PhagoCychotic, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    @Drelbs, could you pls add a link to Sherlock as I can't find it (100's of books are listed instead)

I have a love for puzzle games, but I can't really narrow down the best. A good thread to look at is Mew2468's Ultimate Puzzle Game Discussion Thread and look at the first page of posts. A lot of really great games are listed there.

17. Makaze

Makaze Active Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Cogs, indeed, is an amazing puzzle game. I really don't like how they put the iAP system together for the game though. You have to make 4 payments to get the full game. Either way, it's very well made.

19. adorinellen

adorinellen Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Los Blancos
    By now the best puzzle game for me goes for "cut the rope" :D

20. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    Meh. I payed for those 10 puzzles and liked them. Probably would've payed for the rest if I hadn't bought the full game off of Steam.

One's that I've enjoyed are iBlast Moki, Blue Block, Helsing's Fire, Cut the Rope, Puzzle Quest! :) and Spirit.