What Do You Think of Chiptune?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BeatScribe, Apr 27, 2012.

1. BeatScribe

BeatScribe Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Is anyone else here really getting into Chiptune music? The first time I heard Anamanaguchi, I was totally blown away. Same goes for Chipocrite and Sabrepulse. I also love GroundIsLava (best name ever).

I'd been listening to old NES soundtracks for years but the way these bands mix it with reggae and rock and stuff is just awesome.

There is something hilariously awesome about watching some dude jump around with an old gameboy in his hand instead of a guitar.It'd be cool if a band rigged up some midi guitars to actually drive some old NES synths. Instead of amps, they'd plug into a nintendo, that would rock.

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I love chiptune! Anamanaguchi is definitely one of my favorite chip artists. I also like songs by Unicorn Kid, Smiletron, and Firebrand Boy.

3. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Ooh, I haven't heard of some of those. I'll have to check them out. I love Chipocrite's purist approach. To make something you can really get into with only a gameboy is pretty sweet.

4. coconutbowling

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Have you ever tried it? I've never made music with a gameboy, but I've messed with the sounds you can get from it and it's pretty fun.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I got iExplorer and I love pulling the soundtracks out of my games. Sonic has some awesome little songs in there.

6. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    I have used Famitracker for making NES bleeps for my songs, but I don't actually have a Gameboy anymore. Famitracker is actually pretty easy to use once you get used to it, and you can make some real classic style sounds, even export them to a format thats playable on a real NES.

I actually emailed Chipocrite asking him a little about what he did. The whole thing is a lot less complex than I thought. I imagined hacked gameboys and rewiring them to accept Midi and stuff, but basically its just a Famitracker-like software you can somehow get onto a Gameboy and then compose on. You can change a few parameters playing live, much like a DJ would. Sabrepulse uses all kinds of stuff, the Gameboy is just one of his instruments.

...And I was quite disappointed to find out Anamanaguchi's guitars weren't plugs into an NES :(

7. starpause

starpause Active Member

Jun 24, 2011
  8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  9. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Ever heard of ifightdragons? The chiptunes are quiet sometimes, but defiantly noticeable. And they have some pretty good song too.

10. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    I just checked out ifightdragons. They sound a lot like Ozma. Ozma even sings ABOUT video games..in a romantic way...well, only to people who grew up in the 90s I guess :D

I like how bands like Ozma and ifightdragons mix it into their music instead of it just being the only thing they have to offer. I still think 'Bizarre Love Triangle' by Chipocrite is the best chiptune thing out there...

11. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Wow, ifightdragons is extremely catchy. I didn't even listen to a whole track and I've been singing it nonstop...:eek:

They don't even need chiptunes or anything.

12. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    You're welcome :p haha

13. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Just found one of the weirder chip tune bands, The Depreciation Guild. It's like shoe gazer (late 90's noisy/dreamy pop style) and chip tune combined. It wouldn't seem like it works, but it does...

14. coconutbowling

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Not sure if it's everyone's taste, but Interrobang Pie is an amazing brony chiptune musician.

15. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois