Game recommenditions for my nephew and niece

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by galaxygrrl, Jul 25, 2010.

1. galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi all!

I'm giving my old iphone to my nephew and niece. He is 6 and she is 9.

And I want to load it up with games for them.

Games they have liked a lot are

- Scoops
    - Sneezies
    - Koi pond
    - Trism (he likes puzzles)

I was looking for some other games they might like. Last time I asked I got Sneezies as a suggestion and my nephew loved it.

Thanks for the advice.

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    This should be in the Mass "What should I get?" thread. Anyways, I'm sure a mod will merge them soon.

You could try the games Dizzypad and Sky Burger. Both games are made from the developers of Scoops, and they both have similarities to Scoops and Koi Pond.

3. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    spawn illuminati is an entertainment app. it's not really a game. it's kind of like a fireworks show but it has a ton of cool things that you can do with it. it would be great for those ages... even though i love it as well :)

also arachanadoodle is a cool puzzle game and great kiddie graphix.

the 9 year old (since he likes puzzles) would enjoy cat physics. it is currently free right now too!

bed bugs

fruit ninja

those games are all really fun. and pretty kid friendly

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Right off the top of my head, go for...

Dizzypad
    Angry Birds
    Alley Gator
    Anything from Donut Games (Cat Physics etc...)
    Cosmo Kid
    Flaboo
    HellKid
    Doodle Jump/ Mega Jump
    Piyo Blocks 2

Hope that starts you off right.

5. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    In addition to Dizzypad and Sky Burger, I'd also like to add Hoppy to my list. And I think Mega Jump over Doodle Jump would be the appropriate choice if you are going for one of them; Mega Jump's graphics are more kid-appealing and there are much more power-ups available. There are also cute unlockables you can't find in Doodle Jump.

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Speedy Pigs could also be fun for them.

BowQuest: PandaMania is also free right now and a wonderful game.

7. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Let's see... *flips through iPod*

Rolando, Trees of Doom, JellyCar (1 and 2), and Chuzzle are very kid-friendly because they have fun art styles and are easy to learn.

8. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

Hmm... Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars, NOVA, and Samurai: Way of the Warrior.

But really: Ninjatown Trees of Doom, Bust a Move, and LoveCalc.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have 2 nephews, 11 and 6 and they cant get enough of Skee-Ball. I didn't understand it at first, because the graphics are kinda meh, but I guess the flick controls are spot on, plus you grab tickets and buy things in a store just like a real arcade so I'm assuming that's the charm.

10. Theres this bubble wrap app that all you do is pop the bubbles and it makes the popping noise. My three Nieces LOVE this game for some reason, plus they look so silly playing it, it'll be fun for you too! I don't know the name of it, but if you find it, or if someone knows what I'm talking about; it's a great game for kids.

11. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    *flips through iPod*

Others above have recommended some of these as well, but here goes :)

Dizzypad
    Fruit Ninja
    Doodle Jump
    Skee Ball
    Angry Birds
    Birdstrike
    Peggle
    Traffic Rush
    Fingerzilla (they'll LOVE this :D)
    TouchPets
    Any coloring book apps would be nice too, for your niece

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    My nephews - around that same age - love believe it or not Flight of the Hamsters.

Also when they use my ipod they play either Rolando, Flying Furball (and any Zinc Roe game), Racer, Quest of Knight's Onrush, and Run Hamster Run.

Hope this helps with some ideas.

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fling and Mouse About are super-cute puzzle games that are of incredibly high quality and among my favorite games of all time. Mouse About has no level selection, but starts really easy. Instead of playing for 10+ minutes and doing 15-20 levels like an adult, a kid might play 3-4 minutes and do 5-6 levels but its exactly the same levels an adult would play in the first few minutes. (Randomized levels.) Fling has difficulty levels, and on "easy" the puzzles start *very* easy and gradually progress from there. Both games are excellent for kids that like puzzle games AND are also huge fun for adults --i.e. room to grow for all.

Fling has a free light version, so I would start there.

14. mattlmedia

mattlmedia Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Game Artist, Game Developer, Game Designer
    My team just released a new match 3 (like Trism/Bejeweled), called Ring Theory, that would be a great game for kids that age (or adults who love match 3). We're currently being featured in both the arcade and the puzzle sections (if you're looking on iTunes).

Regards,
    Matt Laverty
    4 Score Games

15. tammylsmith

tammylsmith Member

Jul 27, 2010
    #15 tammylsmith, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    My daughter's favorite games are:

1) Peggle (only the best casual game ever)
    2) Pocket God (you are god to your own little island of people)
    3) Angry Birds (not that it needs any introduction)

She likes Trism also, so we just tried out Ring Theory based on Matt's reveiw and it's fun also, so add that to our list now (props Matt :)

I gave her my old iPhone too... and it's perfect for portable entertainment :)