iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm in the same boat, found it unnecessarily clunky on PS4. I just downloaded this for iPad Pro (the big one) and already it's a little better. Still clunky, but not as bad.

I'm going to need to get used to when to tap, and when to tap and hold. That's not immediately obvious in all cases. Some of the buttons are incredibly tiny, even on the 12" screen. It's the same issue there that it had on console, that it's a PC game that hasn't changed the layout at all when porting it to other platforms.

Gang, I've bought this game twice now, so clearly I'm into it. But the dev has made no concessions to changing the icons and click/tap regions in any of the ports so far. Some of the minor buttons are tiny on the giant iPad, and would be unusable on iPhone. At this point, the dev suddenly changing the layout seems extremely unlikely. Extremely unlikely.

Game is otherwise fine. I definitely prefer this on iPad already to the console version, tapping around the screen is way better than fighting with a stick/button layout that just doesn't make any sense.

Oh and in general, this game is opaque AF at the start. You have to stare at the skills and stat % and try and work iut for yourself what's good. It's a deep game with lots going on, worth looking up an introductory let's play from someone who knows what they are doing as the game's tutorial is the very definition of bare bones. Get past the learning curve, and this game is a gem though.

2. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    In a world where i can play baldur’s gate on my phone, it is silly to not having iphone version of this game due to having small UI. Even it is, it is a turn based game so it would be playable anyway. It is a simple switch for developers but for us users it is an alternate option.

To be clear, i don’t think baldur’s gate deserves an iphone version, it is very very difficult to play, but this game is not at all.

3. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Just tell me the black bars which I'm seeing right now at the top and bottom of the store images are my imagination and GAME SUPPORTS 4:3 (iPad aspect ratio) AND IT'S FULLSCREEN!

4. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I must be the only one here who's wondering whether this one supports my old iPad 2…

5. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Oh you sonofa... apparently my iPad is too old to play this (iPad 4)! Says not compatible, though I don't see how it would struggle to run it, not exactly graphically intensive and the iPad will happily run stuff like Xcom, Ridge Racer, Hearthstone etc etc that are far more demanding!

Gutted and slightly miffed, especially as I can't get it on phone either!!

6. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    Again, this is a PC game that has never had its interface altered when being ported to other platforms. It's in the 16:9 (or whatever) original PC aspect ratio.

There are black bars, teeny tiny buttons, and floating context menus. This is just how this game is.

7. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Does someone know if this is compatible with the iPad 4?

8. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Does someone know if this is compatible with the iPad 4?

9. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #29 Saucepolicy, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Be careful about that hype train. Darkest Dungeon is a divisive game and I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of buyer's remorse backlash in this thread over the next few days. This is one of those games you should definitely research yourself, not simply buy it because of praise from other gamers.

The odds are stacked against you in this game. When you first start the game, you're greeted with this warning:

"Darkest Dungeon is about making the best of a bad situation. Quests will fail or must be abandoned. Heroes will die. And when they die, they stay dead. Progress autosaves constantly, so actions are permanent.

The game expects a lot out of you. How far will you push your adventurers? How much are you willing to risk in your quest to restore the Hamlet? What will you sacrifice to save the life of your favourite hero?"

They're really not kidding.

That doesn't mean it's ok. A mindful port should take the target platform into account...even on the latest iPad some of the UI elements are too small, as you pointed out. There's not a lot of polish on multifunction touch controls either. For instance, scrolling your character roster will inevitably modify the character order instead. There's no pause before the game registers a tap as trying to rearrange characters, rather than scroll the list.

To be fair, the issues I'm having are nitpicky, but in a game that weaponizes stress, I don't need the controls to fight me too.

10. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Dude.. 2 posts above... not even a page...

I've emailed the dev, not holding out much hope but we'll see.

11. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    You answered your own question: just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Hell, I wish they'd put more effort into the iPad UI, let alone trying to make it work on an iPhone. This is a menu driven game with tons of tiny stats and a dark interface. It's easy to say that it would be playable without having it actually in your hands.

12. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I haven't played yet, but already feel buyers remorse after reading your post. I am skeptical about the stress factor too (and was before hitting the buy button). I already have plenty of that in real life.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #33 anthony78, Aug 24, 2017
    Well, I’m playing on an iPad Mini and it’s completely fine as far as readability. And there’s huge areas of black space on the top and bottom of the screen.

So, if It was played on a widescreen phone, especially an iPhone 6/7 Plus, it wouldn’t be that much different if they used the whole widescreen (no need for 4:3 on a phone).

Just my 2 cents after playing it and comparing it to other games where there was much more cramped on an iPhone screen.

BTW, I actually think this plays much better with a touch interface than using a controller on console. No issues at all so far where I was constantly “fighting the controls” on PS4.

14. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    #34 dukat111, Aug 24, 2017
    I'm on a 10.5" iPad and also have top & bottom bars. Full screen would have been nice.
    Game looks crisp but it is a little hard to read for my not so perfect eyes, looks like it was a direct port with no UI scaling adjustments for iPads.

Can someone point me to a short but good tutorial that explains game mechanics, what stuff like ACC means, etc? Watched a few videos but one was bad and the others far too long winded.

15. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    How big are said bars one the 10.5? Pictures?

16. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Click the bible looking book on bottom right glossary.

17. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it or saying it is ok. I just want people to understand that this game is almost certainly never going to get fullscreen, UI scaling, or the platform specific things they might be expecting. Just saying this because, like you, I want people to temper their expectations. This is a full on ”big” game with tons of depth and content. But it isn't going to be for everyone (it's very hardcore) and it has some UI quirks that on every platform we're just going to need to learn to live with.

These may be dealbreakers for some people, and everyone should go in with their eyes open.

That said, if you can get past those niggles, and you like brutal games that take no prisoners, then for $5 this is an outstanding bargain. Just do make sure it's your type of game. Luckily there are a ton of guides and let's plays of the PC version on YouTube so if anyone is unsure go do your research so you don't end up disappointed.

I've just spent another couple of hours with it, and it really is so much more satisfying than the console port. The only thing I'm having to really learn is the difference between short and long taps. A single tap selects some buttons, but automatically use consumables in some circumstances. Tapping and holding brings up the context menu. Tap by accident? Well, that's a lost item. Small thing, and I'll learn. I am doing this first run on easy as a warm up.

Example of where a mishit can get you: the torch bar at the top. Light management is huge in this game. Tap the bar and you use a torch from your inventory to boost the light. Hold, and it tells you current light values and the buffs/debuffs. Swipe down on it, and you dim the lights. That's three touch functions on one button, and yeah I've whiffed that a couple of times.

I am having a great time with it though. UI aside, the game is mad pretty and atmospheric, in that grimdark way.

18. furfoot

furfoot New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Importing save files doesn't seem to work from dropbox it just endlessly sits on "Please wait while importing data". Anyone managed to do this yet?

19. taoyingying

taoyingying Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Is the in game graphic really as dark as the screenshots? I'm not talking about the mood, just literally, dark. I can barely see any details, and my eyes hurt when trying to read the text. I want to try this but for the sake of my (already quite poor) eyesight, I possibly have to skip it :/

20. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Here's a screenshot, the top & bottom space in the photo is the size of the bars.
    http://imgur.com/a/igW3E