Any good Space Action Games (X-Wing, etc.)?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Whoooaaahhhh, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Whoooaaahhhh

Whoooaaahhhh New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Student...Again
    Pasadena, CA
    I've tried to find a good one, similar to X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, Wing Commander, etc. My girlfriend's been askin' me and I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

:D

2. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene.
    Meteor Blitz.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    From the examples you're giving, I would look into Galaxy on Fire. If you want something short and sweet (and on rails), check out Galactic Gunner. There's also Star Pagga (though I haven't tried it), Above and Beyond (not technically in space, but similar action), Flatspace (which is more strategy/RPG, but has an action component), and Pirate Wings (only if you have a 3Gs or 3rd Gen iPod Touch). Maybe Space Trek, too. There are a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

EDIT: Well, I guess there's also that Star Wars Trench game, thought it's supposed to be very short.

4. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I would die to see another Galaxy on Fire :)
    (with more content variety, though)

5. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yes, I strongly recommend Galaxy On Fire.

Because FISHLABS is creator of Galaxy on Fire 2 for Java-enabled phones, I am sure You are going to experience also this game on Your iPhone as soon as possible :)

Best,

6. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Galactic Gunner is really fun.

Galaxy on Fire is more involved, but still fun in its own way - if you like a deeper game.

7. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Galaxy on fire is really fun....until you get the best ship/guns/etc....then you have all this firepower, and nothing to do with it:confused:

8. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    On that note...

I'm looking for a good top down space combat and strategy game. If anyone has played Star Control and Star Control 2, you know what I'm talking about.

I know that there are Space War clones (Star Control 1 was one of them), but I'm interested in something that has a strategy element. The full version of star control was basically a sort of "board game" involving a starfield in which players would create starbases, colonies, mining colonies and the like, and the goal was to destroy the other army.

Star Control 2 was more RPG than strategy, it involved resource collection, but it had adventure elements and the ability to pay for upgrades to your basic ship.

9. V_Kain

V_Kain Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Designer and Writer
    East Coast, USA
    I can recommend Space Miner: Space Ore Bust! We just submitted, actually - should hopefully be up on the app store soon. It's got space combat, ore collection, ship upgrades, all that good stuff :)

You can check out all the details here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=41939

10. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Editing post, since v_kain beat me to it :)

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Alpha wars
    Battle for vesta

12. Whoooaaahhhh

Whoooaaahhhh New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Student...Again
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks!

Thanks squarezero and others, for the recommendations, I'm going to try them out tonight! Galaxy on Fire looks right up her alley!

13. John Harrison

John Harrison Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Hooray! Da Shiz Whiz 19 already mentioned it, but Battle for Vesta sounds like just what you want. Of course I'm biased as I wrote it.

Here's a trailer. Note that the graphics are better in the game than in this movie:

It is $0.99 in the App Store right now. If you buy it, let me know how you like it and how you think it compares to any of the others in the genre. I happen to think that it is easier to control and more precise.

14. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Pretty true :rolleyes:

15. twittedapps

twittedapps Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    as Da Shiz Whiz 19 I would recommend Alpha Wars.
    Alpha Wars thread

[hqyoutube]LzAsfTiQj58[/hqyoutube]

16. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Zone Warrior

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  18. krayzkrok

krayzkrok New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    A few more...

Void - 2D top-down space combat, hard to control at first until you upgrade your ship.
    Star Rangers - 3D sector-based combat, similar to the old Star Trek / Star Raiders games
    Blue Attack! - one of the best 2D top-down space shooters, scenario based with a bit of team-based depth