Most Game Genres Have Been Done To Death, What We Need Are More Strategy Games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
    I don't get it. Why are there soooo many TD games on the iphone, but not much else in terms of strategy games.

Clearly the TD games are selling, that should tell people there's an interest in strategy games.

But why jump into TD, a genre that is horribly overpopulated on the iPhone, make your TD game for the DS or something (there literally isn't a single TD game on the DS!!!)

Make some innovative games on the iPhone, something like Elite Beat Agents and such. There is a lot of other directions for strategy games to go

Games like Scribblenauts (quite possibly the greatest game ever made, and that's NOT an exatteration), Civilization Revolutions, Power Politics III, Zapitalism (A FANTASTIC business simulation game), The Political Machine, and Capitalism and to emphasize again, Zapitalism.

The number of ways that strategy games can go is nearly endless. You can make a business simulation, a politics simulation, a space simulation, a world conquest simulation, a game where you play as the illuminati to create a one world government, toppling countries, starting wars, bribing politicians, fixing elections, manipulating the media, you can make it fun, you can make it serious or light hearted and campy, the possibilities are ENDLESS.

It truly is the one genre of games that hasn't been mined for possibilities nearly as much as the other genres.

And the best part is, the games can be made on a low budget and sold for cheap on PSN, XBL, Wiiware, PSP, DS and iPhone.

Clearly, there is a market for strategy games (considering how many TD games top 100ed so far) of all shapes and sizes. Game developers need to spend less time making huge budget generic action games (Haze, Fracture etc) and start feeding and growing this market more instead.

What are some of your favorite strategy games?

What are some of your ideas for strategy game concepts? Do you like city building sims, world conquest sims, business sims, politics sims, space sims, real time strategy, tower defense, what? Which have you tried?

If you agree with this, spread this post. Post this elsewhere wherever you frequent, I don't care if you copy paste and don't quote me or link to this or anything. Just get this gaming request out there.

Read more about Scribblenauts here...

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16184727

2. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    #2 learjetzoom, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    wrong forum

However, this game does look awesome..

"So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the ****? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were ****ing dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a ****ing DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I F*&%^NG TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERF*($)#NG ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do."

3. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #3 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    "This is a general game discussion section that is the catch all for discussion about games."

And guess what's being discussed here, games. We're discussing games in the section that is the catch all for discussion about games. This thread meets the describtion for the forum perfectly. So stop playing junior mods already and post something on topic.

This forum has many discussions about game genres. There's literrally dozen of threads in this forum about various game genres. This is such a thread.

The OP post discusses iphone games that are out already, games that should be ported to the iPhone, and a whole genre of games found on the iPhone.

This is the only forum where this thread even makes sense.

4. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Not a big fan of stratergy games personally... though an updated version of Oragon Trail is already avaiable on the iPhone/Touch courtesy of Gameloft.

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #5 K.D!, Jun 10, 2009
    Yes, but this is the sub-section for games that are already out, of which only Oragin Trail out of your list is (to my knowledge).

And you also mention Dope Wars... well it was rejected then re-released as Candy Wars (if I recall correctly) on the iDevice.

6. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Instead of just posting "wrong forum", how about actually discussing something to keep the topic going? Mods will move posts when they see them, let them decide what forum it belongs in.

Anyhow.

I do agree about strategy games. I'm a big fan of turn-based strategy (aka card games) and real-time strategy games, and there aren't many titles for those out.
    However, genres don't change much. TDs are popular, that's why they get lots of players. I think it boils down to graphics and gameplay rather than the genre itself.

7. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    While I like strategy games, it's hard to take your posts seriously when your "best game ever" is a game that hasn't even been released yet.

Michael

8. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Before you critique my characterization of Scribblenauts as the greatest game of all time, I highly highly highly recommend reading about it in the link I provided above, or watching a few youtube videos.

I know that it sounds wrong to hail any game up as the greatest game ever made. But I promise PROMISE you that once you learn about the game, you too will consider it the greatest game of all time.

9. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't even know where to start...

*Facepalm* :confused:

10. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    This is the forum to discuss iphone games.

The OP post discusses iphone games that are out already, games that should be ported to the iPhone, and a whole genre of games found on the iPhone.

This is the only forum where this thread even makes sense.

11. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #11 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    You'll be facepalming yourself all day long about that comment you just made once you actually find out how absolutely insane the stuff that Scribblenauts lets you do is.

well said.

That was from www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16184727

There's literally hundreds of such stories already. Of people summoning lazer guns and gluing them onto sharks to then using blowdryers to electricute them, using teleporters to travel back to the medievil days only to be surrounding by knights, summoning and distracting the knights with candy bars, fighting krakens with god, fighting god with death, fighting dracula with einstein or freud.

It's mindblowing.

12. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Civilization definitely. I dont know why no one has attempted this yet. Even a simple one would be good. There also arent enough FULL sports games.

13. learjetzoom

Feb 27, 2009
    This forum is for game releases, not ideas about games.

14. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #14 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    "This is a general game discussion section that is the catch all for discussion about games."

And guess what's being discussed here, games. We're discussing games in the section that is the catch all for discussion about games. This thread meets the describtion for the forum perfectly. So stop playing junior mods already and post something on topic.

This forum has many discussions about game genres. There's literrally dozen of threads in this forum about various game genres. This is such a thread.

Surely, that alone deserves discussion.

15. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    If you want strategy games there are some really good ones out right now. Go check the UserReview section and look at Strongholds and the new Td's that came out StarDefence and Defender Chronicles. They are all highly praised games and I they all got some good reviews. Theres also the castle conflict and the upcoming QuantumCollapse which should be a great addition to the rts genre.

16. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    That does indeed sound truly magical! My first sceptical thought though, is that probably the game will have US spellings of everything, which could get frustrating. I wonder if they will have the foresight to throw in British spellings too.

17. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009

18. learjetzoom

Feb 27, 2009
    This game looks like it would be a simple port to the iPhone. A port I would be willing to pay $29.99 for.

19. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Godson, and if upon finding out about the game and reading the impressions, or better you getting your hands on it even briefly, you don't think that's the greatest game of all time, then I certainly don't want anything to do with you.

And fyi, I got to play it at their booth during e3, everyone should be that lucky. :) And I certainly hope that iphone owners get to be later this year.

20. learjetzoom

Feb 27, 2009
    are you a dev? part of the press?