Recommend me a cheap/free adventure game/rpg

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by brandon9898, Aug 28, 2009.

1. brandon9898

brandon9898 Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I love RPG and adventure type games that will last me a while or at least 5 hours...HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!

2. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    cheap like 3 dollars? theres [APP]zenonia[/APP] and [APP]wolfenstein RPG[/APP]

or cheap like a dollar theres [APP]chronicles of inotia[/APP]

and also there is [APP]underworlds[/APP] which is more of a dungeon crawler compared to the others :)

welcome to TA but you posted this thread in the wrong section just so you know ha :)

3. demonslayerQ

demonslayerQ Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Dont you see the website? there's Castle of Magic ( Adventure) on sale for 0.99

4. brandon9898

brandon9898 Member

Aug 28, 2009
    where am i meant 2 post it?

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    You post it in the general games section. ;)

Hmm.. Underworlds for sure. It's $.99, and is worth WAAY more.

6. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    and is having a big update pretty soon as well. i prefer zenonia. but both are great games and underworlds is cheaper

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Game discussion. This thread is for specific games.

There are other opinions out there, but here are the most popular RPGs in their respective categories:

Asian-style RPG: Zenonia
    Western-style RPG: The Quest
    Diablo-style RPG: Underworlds

With the exception of Underworlds (which takes about 4-5 hours), these are fairly deep games with dozens of hours if playtime. The Quest has two expansion packs (one is available for free now); Underworlds should be getting a major free update soon. in my opinion, you won't go wrong with any of them.

8. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Tap Quest

its free!

9. HeroComa

HeroComa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    For a free game I truely recommend "A Quest Of Knights Onrush" it's simplely the best free for me and my other choice is Zenonia as u can see I'm a fan of RPG lol

10. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #10 cando, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    iTunes link
    Check out Zombie School - its in top 100 paid Adventure games list in iTunes USA and other countries!

Here are some cool quotes from TA members!:D

(pun intended)
    you have no girlfriend
    so you're lonely and sad
    kill some zombies
    there's an APP for that

know any zombies that need to get a life? There's an app for that!

Dealing with zombies isn't funny. It's DEAD serious, and there's an app for that!

Wanna fight zombies, got guts? They sure do, and there's an app for that!

ever felt that sudden urge to hit something,anything? Well there's an app for that!

That gnawing sensation on your arm? Thats a zombie, want to stop it? There's an app for that!

Flying on a dolphin while shooting stars? Nope. Killing an endless supply of zombies? Yes! There's an app for that!

Blood,guts,gore,violence,zombies, no way....YES! There's an app for that!

11. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    NO, don't get that Zombie game above me. It's a pathetic joke of a game, and the developers/peddlers are trying to create controversy and word of mouth by making it seem like a refreshing, bold game with shocking violence. When really, it's just a cheaply made TD type game with ugly graphics and nothing else to sell on.

12. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #12 cando, Aug 28, 2009
    well, reality is really defined by what you perceive of it... see Zombie Schools rating on iTunes before you buy it :)

Its sure is a refreshing, bold game with shocking violence! :D
    iTunes link

13. brandon9898

brandon9898 Member

Aug 28, 2009
    thanks, i wanted to get the quest but it really is quite expensive....$7...
    anywas thanks everyone but im still in search for a good game
    planning to get underworlds and castle of magic

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There's a name for what you are doing, cando: spamming. You get banned for that.

15. Muggin

Muggin Active Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I am surprised from an adventure standpoint no one has mentioned Secret of Monkey Island, I find it to be a fantastic update of one of the greatest point and click adventures from the PC. I recommend that.

In addition i would agree with previous posts that Zenonia, The Quest, Wolf RPG, and Underworlds are all great games (i do in fact own them all) and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

In the end it comes down to the style of RPG or adventure you are looking for. Each of the previously mentioned games has a completely different feel.

Monkey Island: Point and click adventrue (comedy / Pirate based)

Zenonia: Somewhat Zelda ish in the controls but definitely Korean in its leveling needs.

The Quest (and its expansions): Very Old school first person Eye of the beholder style gameplay with a tremendous amount of playtime (definitely worth the 6 bucks btw)

Underworlds: Diablo style hack and slash (with a great upate coming)

Wolf RPG: More of a turn based action game than an RPG but definitley a refreshing take on the genre.

Anyway, you can;t go wrong with those. Hope you can decide on one to play!

16. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Dark Raider and Dark Raider S are now $1.99 and have 16-20 hours of gameplay. It's a cross between Gauntlet and Doom.

17. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    1112 ep 01 is at 1.99

1112 ep 01 is at 1.99 ;)

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    First, 1112 is definitely a good choice for an adventure game (especially if ep 02 is on it's way;)) Second, aghartastudio's post presents a useful contrast to cando's; yes, he's the developer of 1112, but his comment is relevant to the discussion, and all he's done is just mention the game -- not regurgitate a press release and youtube video. (Same goes for RPGGuy above, though personally Dark Raider doesn't remind me of Doom.)

And Muggin, I think we were all going by brandon9898 statement that he loves RPG's; obviously Secret of Monkey Island is also an excellent choice, as is Return To Mysterious Island and Myst.

19. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    The quest and the expansions, last's 100's of hours :D

20. RobotMonkey

RobotMonkey Active Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #20 RobotMonkey, Aug 28, 2009
    Here's another vote for Tap Quest! Great little free game. Also, if you don't have it already (and dig roguelikes, I suppose), Rogue Touch is pretty awesome :)

And just to weigh in on a few that've already been mentioned:

Wolfenstein RPG: Loving it so far. While I got it on sale for $2.99, I personally think it's a no-brainer at twice that price. Though that does take it out of the range of 'cheap' iPhone games.

Zenonia: I'm kind of divided on this one. I loved it at first, but the level grinding got old eventually, and I never finshed it. Still, I did get six or eight good hours out of it, so I still think it's a good game, you know?

A Quest of Knights Onrush: Another excellent free game, but it's an action game, not an RPG or adventure. Yes, you level up, but don't go in expecting a deep experience. That said, it's still awesome, and it's free. No reason not to give it a shot.

And just since I've typed the word several times, yet not sen it mentioned, I'll give a shout out to Adventure. It's the Atari 2600 classic, and it's free. Super-retro, and hella primitive, but it always makes me smile, even if I never have beaten it (which apparently is pretty easy, if you know what to do).