Any game with "Jobs" (like Final Fantasy Tactics)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BlitzBolt, Nov 4, 2017.

1. BlitzBolt

BlitzBolt New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Hello there,

I'm looking any that has any resemblance to a "Job" system that Final Fantasy Tactics has. Basically where you can change character class/job at will and improve in that to learn new abilities that you can use on other classes/jobs. Another great example is Final Fantasy XI, which had the ability to have a job and a subjob.

I have not quite found anything similar to that experience on the iOS gaming front. Ideally, this would be some kind of RPG or even Idle game.

I don't have high hopes for this search, but if you can prove me wrong then awesome :).

2. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Final Fantasy III and 5 both have job systems :)

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Dragon Quest 3 and 6 also. Some of the Kemco games but I can't remember which needles in that particular haystack. Final Fantasy Dimensions (the first one) has a very FF5-like job system, too.

4. BlitzBolt

BlitzBolt New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Right, I guess those are 'staples'. Something that an Indie game. Could even have Gatcha mechanics incorporated into it. Something that has length to the game play.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah I was trying to think of less well-traveled stuff but nothing came to mind. The thing is, job systems like the ones you've described are largely found in party-based games, and most indies who are brave enough to make an RPG in today's market tend to make games where you only control a single character, likely because it's less complicated to do things that way.

For Gatcha games, it's not really in the interest of the monetization design to allow characters to become versatile - you want the player to feel like they always need to pull for new characters, thus their party must always be deficient in some way.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with anything, though.

6. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Final fantasy Möbius!!! Free and a good implementation of job system!!!

7. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Battle heart or mystery of fortune 2?

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #8 syntheticvoid, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Dark Gate
    *edit*
    Sorry, it's DarkGate*
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpg-darkgate-kemco/id481618630?mt=8
    And it hasn't been updated since 2015... =o/

9. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Ember has a rudimentary job system of melee, archer and mage, but fleshes it out by tying specific skills to equipment like FFIX, albeit without the ability to permanently learn them.