Journeyballs [Universal App]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Izitmee, May 18, 2012.

1. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    #1 Izitmee, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Hello,

I'm developing a cross-platform game (iPhone/iPad/Android) since a while, and now that I reached 2/3 of its completion I thought I'd post something here :)

Journeyballs is a single-touch game. You control one or more balls. Touching the screen will launch them in their rispective direction. Reaching the exit is the goal, while clinging to all the magnets in a level gives you points. Time is important too, but only for the score - stars instead are based only on the percentage of magnets you cling to.

I created and developed it, while Blake Johnson from Engaging Games (the guys that made Droppin' Bombs) is porting it to iOS, and Paul Harden will (hopefully) add some music.

Here is the playable prototype that started it all, which I made in one day (requires Unity's web player): Journeyballs prototype.
    Just click anywhere to launch your ball or procede.
    (Note that some browsers show artifacts around the bitmaps, due to a Unity bug - meaning the transparent areas are not completely transparent)

And here is some screenshot from the new polished and cross-platform version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The levels are divided in "Journeys", and each Journey has different colors and new features/elements.

As of now, I completed all the engine, including an editor which allows me to build levels very quickly, so it's pure building fun.

Also, recently I started blogging about its development, and about some design patterns I used within Unity. You can find the website here: HOBlog

2. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
  3. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Totally digging the black/red level style !
    And I love how much thought was put in the little details. Makes it really polished already. Looking forward to much more screenshots of the different levels.
    And the GUI overhaul - just don't go crazy on it ;)

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This looks very fun and polished :) Not a big fan of puzzle games, but this looks very unique!

5. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Love the art style. Just gave the prototype a spin and loved it. Great work.

6. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    Thanks a lot, I'm very glad you're liking it :) I hope to have it released within the next couple months.

@Acumen: next video will show some of the more advanced levels, with the "branching" magnets. And I decided to avoid touching the UI until the end on purpose, otherwise I would certainly go crazy about it :D

7. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    Whew, I'm getting way behind my schedule (both because sometimes life is very messy, and because I totally underestimated the complexity of level design), but I'm finally getting back on track. Here is a new video with some levels from the first 3 Journeys/Worlds, plus some tech demo :)