Gone are the days of free updates?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mashead2000, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Just wanna hear if anyones started to question the amount of games that now have extra levels though IAP?
    As IOS gamers we are all used to paying for games and get used to free updates each month or after several months in form of extra content etc
    But lately a few games now have extra content through IAP
    Rage-first real update and after paying full price at launch-paying extra for IAP is bit of a cheek?
    Scribblenaughts-extra levels
    And now Wheres my Water...

How long will it be before developers cotton on to this way of trying to get more money?will we now see Angry Birds content only IAP ;( who knows...

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    As 1 dev out of 50,000 we're still giving free content updates. I don't think they'll be going away, especially since updates are refreshing your position in 'new apps' nowadays.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Given the price vs. amount of content, I'm usually pretty okay with IAPs for more stuff. I feel like the competitive market is already pretty slanted towards very low profits for indie devs, and as users we get a lot of content for very little.

The one thing that irks me is when a dev releases a game with X + Y content, and then in the next update, they suddenly make Y no longer free, instead requiring an IAP. That just feels really shady.

Now, free updates to fix game-breaking bugs...that's a whole other story. Way too many devs (especially big ones like SquareEnix, Namco, and Gameloft) skimping on that, often taking months without any real communication to their users in between.

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #4 lord-sam, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Smurfs village
    Angry Birds
    Pocket God
    Dead Rising
    MiniGore
    Tilt to Live
    7 Little Words

To name but a few big games that regularly do proper updates.

In fact, I've got 160 updates sitting in my AppStore

5. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Minigore? Deleted that after over 6months of no updates lol

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    minigore is terrible, updates or no updates

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    You have GOTto be kidding me??

Where's my water? WHERES MY WATER? by Disney?
    Theyre acting like a charity giving us hours of entertainment and many free updates for just 99c?? Are you kidding! Where's my water is one of the games I've been so proud of..it's games like that with high polish, innovative and heaps of levels, constantly updated, etc..I would buy any IAP they throw my way in an instant! Just so I don't feel so rude..I feel like they are bloody giving tree or something, they keep giving and giving, and we keep taking and taking..they even gave this game away for free over christmas..and now they ask for a measly 99c for another 50 levels (which will most likely expand to like 100 levels if going by their other updates is anything to go by)

The consumer is the winner, not the dev..the devs are getting a measly 99c from us. YET THE CONSUMER STILL COMPLAINS? we are spoilt as..it's turning people into greedy snobs.

I wish there was a donate button on WMW because I'd donate more, I feel guilty taking more levels from them seriously.

And scribblenauts..yeah I have mixed feelings about that...only because I paid $5 for it, then they reduced it to $1 a month later..which is a little annoying..but even at $5 it's still a bargain, it's just I think devs should try to reward their early adopters..not punish them..but it seems in the iOS world that's the way to go..squeeze the most money they can then drop the price to 99c.. That's why I really respect where's my water..there's no money grubbing there, just pure fun gameplay, lots of content etc..so in some ways, I agree with the OP, but where's my water definitely isn't on that list, in my opinion.

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    It's actually a separate game that's option because I think they said they were still going to update the original as well..

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #9 Coldar, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    I'm still downloading free updates to a big assortment of games that contain lots extra levels of plays each week.
    Be nice if it stays this way.