Wats ur xperience with Chillingo, Gamehouse etc

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by emc2r, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Game Publisher Used

1. Chillingo

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Gamehouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gamehero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hello Folks,

Has any of your games been published by leading publishers like Chillingo, etc. If yes, please share some GYAN - How did you go about, What did they ask, Revenue sharing, How did they end up helping, and is it worthwhile going along with them.

Thanks in advance.

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Haven't heard much of the others. Chillingo seams to be the best mainstream publisher and have had the most success.

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I was in talks with Alawar and they were going to give me 50% on sales with the possibility of funding the completion of the project.

It was a fairly long progress that lasted a few months. I was originally contacted by an Acquisition Manager that had viewed a gameplay video of one of my upcoming games. After some talks via email, I signed a NDR and the process began with them testing the app and listing what changes they wanted. it went through a number of people with the most important person not liking the game. I received a one sentence e-mail that they were no longer interested.:rolleyes:

The biggest issue with Alawar is that they are located in Russia and we had some communication difficulties during the process.

I have spoke with Chillingo before and was told I could submit my game but I never did.

4. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Yep, Chillingo seems to have a knack of selecting good games. Will be trying them.
    Yesterday, I found on internet that they would be taking 35% cut in revenue.

5. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hey. Thanks for the info.

50% of sales? Any info on who would take care of Apple cost. I am guessing we developers would take care of that. Did they give any indicative numbers (downloads)?

Further, do these guys have any special requests. Ex: Preferred Ad Network, Flash Screen etc.

6. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    #6 mr_wexer, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    I would be cautious of getting a Russian Publisher tbh. Contracts can be messy and it might be hard to protect your IP once you've given them some rights. Just make sure you don't sign your hard work away. :)

Here's a few really good tips I got from a very smart marketing friend of mine.

"Non-disclosure agreements, (NDA's) are the 'standard' initial document to discuss opportunities with all partners (vis licensing).
    But, as the rights owner, you want your NDA used. Innocuous as they ought to be, they can by 'contractual'.
    Everyting you want done, must be under the Laws of your country (until it needs to be US). Not, for example, Russia!
    Also, the IP will typically raise its head in these clauses. The companies right to use its IP, and the 3rd parties.

The wider more subtle matter here is that they are actively seeking from you, the rights owner, to license (control) of all advertising opportunities, within the game, around the game, and across ad networks. If your propositions are compelling (have a real business opportunity), it is not advisable to engage in any such discussions on contracts early on.

Marketing support is not a legitimate business proposal, in itself. A 3rd party partner must be talking minimum commitment sums per product on a launch, per territory, in terms of license agreement or co-branded marketing efforts.

The business will be able to leverage marketing itself through online, social, and partner channels in the working of the channel licesning contract. eg Apple App Store.
    Equally for localisation. This the business would want to control, and go through EMEA or US based localisation houses that the big industry players use."

I found it helpful :)

7. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks for forwarding your friends suggestion. Very informative.

I will be cautious when dealing with Publishers.