How do i Capture video gameplay from device?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by camilogomez, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I think the question says it all.
    Thanks

2. bcarbone

bcarbone Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    iPhone Developer
    Estero, FL
    I was just wondering the same thing. I suppose you could record the simulator but that doesn't work for multitouch games.

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    #3 Madman100, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Sanuku is being shady with his way of recording off the iPad 2. Just saying. I think he hooks it up with a program through his computer though but won't tell us which.

Here's a link for iPads: http://macmost.com/ipad-video-screen-capture.html

4. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I think iPad 2 allows to output to the TV by the HDMI dongle. I know some people have used that with non jailbroken iPads.

5. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Display Recorder (Doesn't record sound, though you could use another idevice and record the sound as a voice memo, then edit the display recorder video to have the audio synced up properly.

Or hook your HDMI to 30-pin dongle to your COmputer somehow and then use a screen recorder for your computer.

6. Future Newb Apps

Future Newb Apps Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I use Sound Stage to record gameplay video. It does a pretty good job and it's quick and easy to use. It's like $4.99 in the Mac App Store. It doesn't do a great job of recording sound though, so I just add the sound in when I'm editing the video in another program.

7. Hexydes

Hexydes New Member

Feb 3, 2012
  8. Naughty_Ottsel

Naughty_Ottsel Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    It may be a convoluted way of doing it but you could always set a function to be called in line with the Display Linker, or with the update code to take a screenshot of the game, save it to the device's internal filesystem, then export them, stitch them together and set at the same FPS as the game, it might work, might not, always an idea

9. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Rather than do the sound manually, why not just connect a 3.5mm male to male cable from the headphone jack to a microphone-in on a computer and record the audio on the PC. Should give you fine quality for a trailer.